Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.223 Moderator, getting permission

Options
  • 13-01-2008 5:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭

Yes - this again, I know it's been done to death.

Just read on another thread about applying on health and safety grounds.

I was of the belief this would be rejected? Having heard so many tiems the get yourself some earplugs or a quieter rifle response.

Has anyone actually got permission for a mod using this approach?

No speculation please, I'd like to know from people who hold letters of permission for moderators.

I have a .223 and I'm mindfull of disturbing other people, disturbing livestock, frightening other quarry and most of all my own hearing.

Are my grounds a viable reason to obtain a letter of permission for a .223 moderator?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

Sounds ok to me depends on your super more than anything.

I would highlight to him that it would silence it at all just reduce to bang to a more suitable level

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

i know its a law to have a permit for a mod but ive had 2 rifles, both with mods and im dropping my 223 in on tuesday to get threaded, maybee its cause i know the gunsmith fairly well, i dunno but ive never had a permit for any of my rifles and the sup has seen all of them and not mentioned anything about permits, think its more a blind eye kind of thing

• Registered Users Posts: 45 DJKH

i know its a law to have a permit for a mod but ive had 2 rifles, both with mods and im dropping my 223 in on tuesday to get threaded, maybee its cause i know the gunsmith fairly well, i dunno but ive never had a permit for any of my rifles and the sup has seen all of them and not mentioned anything about permits, think its more a blind eye kind of thing

Lads

Can you get a grip

Moderators or silencers or whatever you wish to call them are regulated under Firearms and Offencive Weapons Act 1990

You are required to have an authorisation for posession or sale of one:

Fines are high and imprisonment is a real possibility.

Have one without an authorisation at your own risk:

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1990/en/act/pub/0012/sec0007.html

(6) A person guilty of an offence under this section shall be liable—

( a ) on summary conviction, to a fine not exceeding £1,000 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding one year or to both, or

( b ) on conviction on indictment, to a fine or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding five years or to both.

Regards
    Declan Keogh
    FLAG

Its not just me, 5 others i know with rifles have never had a permit for a mod
    3 of them wernt even aware that you needed one as they were sold with them, and i said to the sup about my first rifle having a mod and he said there are so many out there, it would be impossible to regulate, sounded a bit strange but got the licence regardless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Please, can ye read the question, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 DJKH

johngalway wrote: »
    Please, can ye read the question, thanks.

Reference Reasons A and B, even if one super finds the reason adequate the next many not. You can only go ahead and apply quoting the actual and genuine reasons you need it and hope for the best.

PS You had questions about reloading, gave you a comprehensive answer, any chance you might at least acknowledge the response!

Possession, sale, etc., of silencers. 7.—(1) A person shall be guilty of an offence if he has in his possession or sells or transfers to another person a silencer unless the possession, sale or transfer is authorised in writing by the superintendent of the district in which the first-mentioned person resides.

[GA] (2) A superintendent shall not grant an authorisation under this section unless he is satisfied that the person who is to have possession of the silencer or to whom it is to be sold or transferred is the holder of a firearm certificate for a firearm to which the silencer can be fitted and that—

[GA] ( a ) having regard to all the circumstances, the possession, sale or transfer concerned will not endanger the public safety or the peace, and

[GA] ( b ) the person has a special need that is, in the opinion of the superintendent, sufficient to justify the granting of the authorisation for the silencer.

[GA] (3) The superintendent of the district where the holder of an authorisation under this section resides may, at any time, attach to the authorisation such conditions as he considers necessary for the purpose of preventing danger to the public or to the peace or of ensuring that the silencer is used only to satisfy the special need for which the authorisation was granted.

[GA] (4) An authorisation under this section may be granted for such period not exceeding one year as is specified in the authorisation and may be revoked by the superintendent of the district where its holder resides.

[GA] (5) A person who contravenes a condition attached to an authorisation under this section shall be guilty of an offence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

DJKH, thanks for your reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Slug chucker

3 of them wernt even aware that you needed one as they were sold with them, and i said to the sup about my first rifle having a mod and he said there are so many out there, it would be impossible to regulate, sounded a bit strange but got the licence regardless

I went and got a letter for mine also, he wouldn't give it for hunting though just target shooting. Maybe that's the way to go. I don't care once I've got the paperwork to say I can legally possess it as that was the only bit I was worried about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

johngalway
    Has anyone actually got permission for a mod using this approach?

About 8 years ago I wrote a letter to my super (there have been 2 other supers since him) asking for an authorisation. I gave two reasons which are as following:

1) I was concerned that I would damage my hearing.
    2) I did not want to upset locals with "noise pollution"

Within a few days I had a written signed authorisation that was due renewal on the same date as my FAC to "have possess use and carry a sound moderator". It did not say what I could or could not use it for (targets or hunting).

Every year since then it has been renewed. The latest super changed it slightly, he gives the serial numbers of the rifles that I am allowed to use moderators on.

All three superintendents have been most helpful with these authorisations.

I am very surprised how many people have not got authorisations yet use moderators. The penalties are severe if caught.

bitemybanger:

So it is not just you that is risking your firearms certificate, fine etc.
    They are very easy to get, why take the risk??

So you actually got it printed on your license, wow didn't know that was possible. Time to get cracking on that so!
    I just got a letter on Garda headed paper. Once it's on pulse it's pretty much there for ever.
    Thanks for the info,
    Slug Chucker.

• Advertisement

I will obviously be obtaning a permit for a mod, was up with the sup tonight, told him i wanted it to reduce disturbance as i shoot well into the night and he had no problem.

So you actually got it printed on your license,

No, for me it is a seperate piece of paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Ok don't laugh, but is there a difference between a silencer and a moderator. It's just the Irish Statute Book refers to a silencer and not a (sound/noise) moderator.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

A moderator is what it is. A silencer is what Hollywood (and the Dail) call it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Sparks wrote: »
    A moderator is what it is. A silencer is what Hollywood (and the Dail) call it.

Same thing as far as I can see:D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I'd laugh, but it wouldn't be the first time that a bestseller fictional novel or blockbuster movie wound up shaping the minds of those who draft our legislation :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

If it gets down to it it will be legal argument, moderator/silencer. Legislation defines a Silencer, question is is it specific to silencer or does it refer to or use terminology such as "or other device used to surpress or eliminate report"

Either way your better of looking for the permission, can you imagine the tabloid headlines?? Problem is that some Superintendents won't issue them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Wow, never aware that permission was needed for a "moderator". Have had one since I bought the gun, as far as I remember the dealer "threw it in" with the gun and scope.

Anyone know of someone being prosecuted for having one?
    Easy to get permission for a .22?

bigkev49 wrote: »
    Wow, never aware that permission was needed for a "moderator". Have had one since I bought the gun, as far as I remember the dealer "threw it in" with the gun and scope.

You can buy them in nearly any shop anywhere that sells firearms (without a license), pretty much anybody that has a threaded barrel has one (and always has had them). They have been freely available for years and years and I think so has the law controlling their ownership. I think the CJB has just given us all the willies :)

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

If it gets down to it it will be legal argument, moderator/silencer. Legislation defines a Silencer, question is is it specific to silencer or does it refer to or use terminology such as "or other device used to surpress or eliminate report"

A silencer is defined as "a silencer designed to be fitted to a firearm". It's a bit of a rubbish definition TBH! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Slug chucker, you can also buy moderators on the internet. In fact there are lots of illegal things that you could do with your firearms and items related to them and perhaps never get caught.

However if a Garda that does things by the book or for some reason is not happy with you (perhaps he just does not like you having a firearm) he can prosecute you for this. The consequences for you would be severe.

A carefully worded letter to your local Superintendent has always worked for me, I think you will find it will work for you also.

It is better to enjoy your sport and remain 100% within the law.

Yes, I heard about this happening from my local RFD. He had no reason to lie, in fact I am sure it cost him sales.

In my experience for any rifle, yes.

fishdog wrote: »
    It is better to enjoy your sport and remain 100% within the law.

Your preaching to the converted :D, been there done that got the letter!
    It’s just my point; only the serious shooters even read the contents of the firearms acts & CJB. There are a lot of people who don’t have a clue that moderators are regulated by law. So who’s going to tell them if there not scratching around on the net?
    I think personally that when you get issued a firearms permit you should be given a little booklet informing you of the laws pertaining to ownership and usage.
    How far from a road can you shoot?
    Rules governing firearms in a car (is it illegal to have a firearm in the passenger compartment of a car ready for use while hunting)?
    Is lamping at night legal?
    Etc
    That kind of stuff, I heard different answers for all of those questions!
    Cheers,
    Slug Chucker

Advertisement