Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Axle stands

Options
  • 13-01-2008 5:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭

Just wondering what people use when trying to get in under their engine bay...

Looking at getting a set of axle stands and a hydraulic jack - is this the best bet, safety being the priority?

Anyone know where I might pick up a good set? Have heard mixed reports about the ALDI/LIDL versions.

Thanks...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

I have axle stands and while they are good and stable, I find setting them up to be dodgy, car leans to one side and shifts as second one is setup.

I am looking to get a couple of drive-on stands, they sell these in Halfords, and looks much quicker and sturdier, as long as you have them straight

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Axle stands are good, I bought a set from Halfords a while back and have had no problems with them. You shouldn't substitute a hydraulic jack for one, though (they have wheels!)

The drive-on stands are good, too and quicker. If your car is low, though, you may not be able to use them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭mvpr

Thanks for that...

Yeh, had heard something about the car shifting when putting the other stand in place.

Might go down the ramp option, with some nice planks of wood as an insurance policy.

Any particular safety procedures to take when using a ramp? Bricks behind the back wheels or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

Steer clear of the lidl/aldi ones, saw some pics of one that collapsed...and it wasn't overloaded.
    I'd go for a heavier duty pair as they usually have a much wider base and are far more stable.

Neil.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,071 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I find that sticking a couple of old wheels underneath, as well as axle stands or jacks, is an added precaution. You never know. I remember some idiot making his own ramps from railway sleepers and some other old bits of wood. He got crushed to death when they gave out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement