Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beer Money & Other Miscellaneous Activities.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

Mossin wrote: »
    Yeah, my apologies about the Storm thing, I tried everything, but I just wasnt willing to degrade myself for the sake of an interview.

AFAIK Dunnes are always looking for staff, both in the Parkway and 24hr. Its good pay too.

No worries Mossin, I appreciate the fact that you tried and like I said, there are a few pints winging their way to you at the next bulbs for your efforts. I wouldn't expect you to engage in nefarious conduct for the sake of an interview anyway :p:eek:

Reminds me of an only fools & horses quote;
    Rodney: What dya mean she didn't know whether it was indecent assault or not?
    Del: Well she didn't find out until the next day when your mans cheque bounced.

Right, back on the bike for more job hunting...

It'll be interesting to see how this turns out but if cson was a betting man and unfortunately for his sake he is, he'd be offering 1/2 that he'll still be unemployed come February.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,587 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I reckon Dunnes (childers rd) would be your best bet. Not sure how you apply, but even showing up with a CV in hand should result in something

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Have you tried sperm donation, it's basically getting paid for having a w*nk?

Or else do one of those drug trials

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Have you tried sperm donation, it's basically getting paid for having a w*nk?

You'd be making money hand over fist!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Peteee wrote: »
    You'd be making money hand over fist!
    I knew that was coming..

• Advertisement

They all should have recieved their lovely CV and cover letter today. But my fone isn't hopping :(

cson to be still unemployed by February has been backed into 1-5 :(

OMG!!!11111!!!!!11111

Almost as soon as I'd posted that reply O2 called me!!!!11111!!!!

Had a grand oul chat with the girl on the phone but me suspects she was only doing it out of necessity - From the tone of her voice there seems to be ****e-all chance of me getting even an interview ("Ok, thats more or less it, we might call you back for an interview")

Another question that bothered me was "Do you know anyone currently working in O2" :eek:

Ah well, its an improvement on the last time, at least I actually got a phone call. w00t :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Another question that bothered me was "Do you know anyone currently working in O2"

I can't tell you that.

Hmmm, any O2 employed boardsies want to sponsor me? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

cson wrote: »
    Hmmm, any O2 employed boardsies want to sponsor me? ;)

I'd imagine as with a lot of jobs canvassing for a position could reflect badly. Whatever you do just make sure you tell that you can stay longer than 6 months.

• Advertisement

Got a full at the inn letter from the Castletroy Park Hotel :(

Still, it was nice of them to acknowledge me unlike Elverys, Superquinn, McDonalds, Champion Sports, Tk Maxx and The Lodge. ITs only been 3 days though I spose...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

cson wrote: »
    ITs only been 3 days though I spose...

Early days yet. Chin up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

cson are you from dublin?

if so im doing a 2 weekend course in lifesaving to get my cert and then gonna be working in the colelge pool. i know before xmas they were gagging for people and now with some leaving for coop im sure they will be more stuck so if you can find a short course to do in your area before then it might be worth a look

I actually live on the banks of the Shannon more or less.....

But put it this way, if you were drowning and saw me coming towards you, you be a ****eload more scared than you were before you saw me. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Rineanna

cson,

I worked in Dunnes on Childers road during last semester. They seemed to be hiring staff like there's no tommorrow. They always have ads playing in the store for "evening and weekend staff, nightpack, etc".Just go to the customer service desk and ask for their applicatioon form. I handed in mine on, I think it was, a Monday, and was called for an interview the following Wednesday. They usually do the inductions on the Thursday and Friday/Saturday.

The money's class....€9 an hour. I was put in the deli and was working 5 days a week (3 evenings + weekend), which meant that I was coming out of there every week with around €230.

Yes, that's class money, but the hours were a killer. It was to the detriment of my college studies, as I was working at 6pm-10pm on 3 weekdays which left little time to do anything (study or otherwise) if I was finished college at 3/4. Your weekends are gone completely, and the days I was off, I was completely knackered (you'd be amazed how much work can be squashed into a 6-10pm shift!).

Make sure you say in the interview what you're willing to work, as they might put you on the floor or in textiles, homewares, etc. where they might only get 3/4 days a week.

In summary, class money but make sure you specify your college commitments from the start.

Hope that helps somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Rineanna wrote: »
    cson,
    The money's class....€9 an hour. I was put in the deli and was working 5 days a week (3 evenings + weekend), which meant that I was coming out of there every week with around €230.

In summary, class money but make sure you specify your college commitments from the start.

If you think €9 is class money you need your head examined;);). Is that a based on rises in a given period in excess of Social Partnership or just a flat €9.

I started in 2002 in Roches on €7 when minimum wage was €6.35 and by the time I told Debenhams to go FU<K THEMSELVES in July I was on €12.04 working sundays only, which meant in effect for my 6 hours a week I was making over €110. That's good money, but if the job's ****, or management are wan|<ers (which you hear a lot about Dunnes, one of my friend's was told if she wanted to keep her job she'd have to skip a compulsory lab) no money is worth the hassle. Also why I left! I now have an easygoing minimum wage job with nice people that are good to work with. Much better trade off.

ye i dont know where your getting 9and hour being class its bottom of the barrel as far as i can make out. itll do for college drinking money or whatever but if you take even a small step up from the jobs like shelve packer to ones like on the phone customer service your going to easily get 4 quid more an hour for easier work

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Have to agree. €9 is only 35c above absolute minimum hardly what id call class. Id gladly take 35c less for not working in Dunnes anyway. Have heard way too many horror stories from a number of friends who have worked in 3 or 4 different branches between them

OK, relax; I got the point after the first reply, thanks very much.

I was just giving my 2cents on my experience in job hunting in the vicinity of where cson was job searching. And, for the record, I termed €9 as 'class' (In retrospect, an overstatement, I'll admit) as I know several people who are on the bare minimum wage, and, well, it may only be 35c in the difference, but it's still a difference.

It'll be the last time I offer advice! :mad:

its nothing personal advice is always welcome

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

OK, relax; I got the point after the first reply, thanks very much.

I was just giving my 2cents on my experience in job hunting in the vicinity of where cson was job searching. And, for the record, I termed €9 as 'class' (In retrospect, an overstatement, I'll admit) as I know several people who are on the bare minimum wage, and, well, it may only be 35c in the difference, but it's still a difference.

As PeakOutput said advice is always welcome...don't be put off by replies to this thread. I know a number of people that have worked in Dunnes while in college and it's gone a large way toward funding their life style so there's nothing wrong with working there even if it only pays €9/hour (there are occasions where I would have killed for this during college).

I'm not even sure if I made a point above.....I'm drunk and I'm going for a smoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Looking back I possibly came on too strong there. Advice and personal experience is always welcome here. Sorry!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

rmacm wrote: »
    I'm not even sure if I made a point above.....I'm drunk and I'm going for a smoke.

I'm going to coin 'Rmacms Law' ala 'Godwins Law

'For any online discussion that Rmacm is involved in grows longer, the likelyhood of Rmacm mentioning being drunk approaches one'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

Any luck cson? Pondering work during college myself

Still unemployed :(

I'd try the Dunnes (Thanks Rineanna) but the Childers Rd/Parkway is a bit far to be walking home late at night. Taxi I spose but it'll cost an hours wage...

trinity rooms are looking for staff per their bebo site

Ah yes, but one needs experience. Which currently does not adorn my CV. T'is a catch 22 really, how dya get it if you can't get hired? I'll prob get on to a local publican I know from home and ask for a reference for some "experience" that I did there. Could get caught out with that too though... :(

Divil a bit of luck on the job front anyway. Although I'm yet to try Rineanna's reccommendation (Thanks Rineanna!) so I'll prob bum it up to the parkway/childers rd this week some time.

This might be of use,

Chawke's Petrol Station just beside Superquinn are looking for Weekend and Evening staff. The sign's up on the noticeboard in the SU.

Got a call back there off O2. Was half asleep in bed, the phone starts buzzing away, unknown number, will I bother answer it? Feck it I will, sure I'm getting up anyway. It was asking me to come to a recruitment/interview/assessment evening with them.

Its happy days all around, it'll be good practice for an interview if nothing else, I haven't ever had a proper interview :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭bada-bing

well... did you get the job?? if no, fear not, i have a cunning plan!
    do you ever get those emails asking for ppl to type up lecture notes within 24 hours?! you could maybe do ALL of those.. like just fill every day with the necessary lectures which need typing, hopefully one or two may coincide with your actual time table, and you'll be laughing! it will be like being paid for being the most dilegent student the campus has ever seen..

Advertisement