Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Esat BT connectivity problems

Options
  • 13-01-2008 5:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭

Has anyone else on Esat BT had problems staying online in the last few days? I've been getting disconnected every 10-30 mins for about 2-3 days and it's driving me up the wall. When the connection drops at the moment, my router's status usually says CHAP authenication failure, which I haven't noticed during Esat BT's past disconnect-fests..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

I have BT 2MB, it's not dropping but since Friday speeds are very, very poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭dacookie

This is the same with me, except im Eircom 2mb.Since Friday I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭Barlow07

Echani wrote: »
    Has anyone else on Esat BT had problems staying online in the last few days? I've been getting disconnected every 10-30 mins for about 2-3 days and it's driving me up the wall. When the connection drops at the moment, my router's status usually says CHAP authenication failure, which I haven't noticed during Esat BT's past disconnect-fests..

What modem/router are you using,How are you connected, wireless, wired? If your using wireless have you tried switching to wired to make sure its not a wireless issue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Echani

I'm using a Netgear DG834G router, there's a few different things connected to it both by LAN cable and a couple of laptops via WiFi, but everything's being affected. The error message above is actually directly from the router's status page, so I think the problem's between it and the exchange or host. I'm going to try switching it to another phone outlet to see if it makes any difference.

Out of interest to anyone else who's having the same problems - are you near the Woodbine exchange?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

I'm using a Netgear DG834G router, there's a few different things connected to it both by LAN cable and a couple of laptops via WiFi, but everything's being affected. The error message above is actually directly from the router's status page, so I think the problem's between it and the exchange or host. I'm going to try switching it to another phone outlet to see if it makes any difference.

Out of interest to anyone else who's having the same problems - are you near the Woodbine exchange?
    I have the DG834GT and am with eircom. It used to take an age for it to sync with the exchange and so establish an Internet connection until I upgraded the firmware.

Have a look here for firmware for your model. Be sure to flash it using a wired connection.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭dacookie

I have no clue where that is but I live in Dublin 6, Rathgar.

Well I upgraded the router's firmware, but it turns out that the connection keeps dropping because we've gone over the download cap and BT is dropping our connection every few minutes as a result. Yay! Thanks for the help anyway guys. Next step: new ISP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭Barlow07

Well I upgraded the router's firmware, but it turns out that the connection keeps dropping because we've gone over the download cap and BT is dropping our connection every few minutes as a result. Yay! Thanks for the help anyway guys. Next step: new ISP.

I dont think Esat BT are the only ISP to have a download cap, most other's as i far as i know also have a cap. I could be wrong, but i'm sure someone here will correct me on that :rolleyes:

They're not, most of the ISPs do, and we've never had a problem with exceeding the cap before (or at least, we haven't noticed it when it's happened). But after talking to them on the phone today I'm pretty dissatisfied with how they handled it and the lack of information they were willing to give (like what I need to actually access my account info online to check the status of the cap).

Irish Broadband is looking good at the mo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 SmallClaims

They're not, most of the ISPs do, and we've never had a problem with exceeding the cap before (or at least, we haven't noticed it when it's happened). But after talking to them on the phone today I'm pretty dissatisfied with how they handled it and the lack of information they were willing to give (like what I need to actually access my account info online to check the status of the cap).

Irish Broadband is looking good at the mo.

Depending on your package you either have 10, 20 or 30 GB monthly download limit. Anyone going over this needs to get a life!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭curryman

I too seem to be have trouble connecting and i def havn't gone over my cap. Im currently on 1meg and i lucky if i use 2 gigs a month so i cant see going over the cap as the reason connection is dropping. My connection seems to go from 6 till 9. But will also drop a few times during the day. Yet tonight seems really bad connection still dropping now at 10pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Praetor

I though it was clear, BT doesnt know cut people off when they have exceeded their usage.

Not at the moment, maybe on a not so far away future...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 spoof

I thought they could charge you for over usage,I have always checked mine for this reason http://broadband.iol.ie/usage/ but for a few months now it reads no usage, the history show my last usage months ago. What does this mean, I have no problems with bt otherwise but this has me puzzled.

spoof wrote: »
    I thought they could charge you for over usage,I have always checked mine for this reason http://broadband.iol.ie/usage/ but for a few months now it reads no usage, the history show my last usage months ago. What does this mean, I have no problems with bt otherwise but this has me puzzled.

Just give Tech Support a call and get them to fix that for you

Praetor wrote: »
    Just give Tech Support a call and get them to fix that for you

Yes thought about that, changed pc and operating sytems xp to vista and back in the last few months so I wonder if I cant see them can they see me? :rolleyes:

spoof wrote: »
    Yes thought about that, changed pc and operating sytems xp to vista and back in the last few months so I wonder if I cant see them can they see me? :rolleyes:

No, dont worry, its nothing to do with that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,825 ✭✭✭SeanW

Ok, if anyone has an old BT Broadband account (i.e. first got your package with CD + router + service years ago) and is having connection problems listen up. Others might also want to take note because you might soon have this problem.

If you configured your connection with your username@iolbb and password (usually in the "Setup WAN" or "Wizard Setup" sections of the routers configuration pages), you should, or may soon be experiencing connection problems.

I did, my service had been getting progressively flakier over the past week and last night it collapsed completely.

Called tech support this afternoon.

I needed to change the above mentioned details from "username@iolbb" to "username@btbb"

Apparently the former is being phased out. Anyone who is still using the @iolbb might want to change it to head off any problems at the pass, if such problems are not already visible.

Apparently the former is being phased out. Anyone who is still using the @iolbb might want to change it to head off any problems at the pass, if such problems are not already visible.[/QUOTE]

I wonder did this (http://broadband.iol.ie/usage/ ) change as well, must check site .no still the same

This on bt site

Monday 25/02/2008, there is currently an issue regarding the BT Broadband usage statistics not updating automatically. The problem is currently under investigation and we hope to resolve the problem today. In the meantime we appreciate your patience and apologise for any inconvenience caused.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭pissed

Was wondering what was going on. I hav'nt checked my downloads in ages so decided to check the other day to see where I stood........ everything at zero :D.... I wonder if you go over will they charge for it :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

We've a BT 2meg line and it's been getting progressively worse for a while.

Oh, just tried the BT site there but it's down for maintenance.

pissed wrote: »
    Was wondering what was going on. I hav'nt checked my downloads in ages so decided to check the other day to see where I stood........ everything at zero :D.... I wonder if you go over will they charge for it :eek:

I thought about that too,I dont see how they can as its their fault I am at zero reading since last september never had a problem on this Anyone know if there allowance is xup and xdown or is it x to cover both could never get a clear answer on this as I say my downloads have been ifie around my limit but never a prob with bt Id say you would really have to rip it before they will bother anyway this time their fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

I'm also having regular outages - 3Mb line swords

quad_red wrote: »
    We've a BT 2meg line and it's been getting progressively worse for a while.

Oh, just tried the BT site there but it's down for maintenance.

usage still at zero, should take customer care down for maintenance as well:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭PotBelly

I am having exactly the same problem, It is affecting everything from simple browsing to online gaming. It is a head wrecker?

I am also on the swords exchange

This is not related to the throttling of bb for going over the limit. This is the result of constant testing of new llu in the exchanges as they upgrade the 3meg lines to 8meg. They will also not be using the eircom equipment anymore so the new equipment they are installing might have a few bugs(more than likely)

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭expatoz

this problem is not isolated to Dublin, i am in limerick and WELL under the d/l cap. every time over the last few days that i attempt to d/l a file from rapidshare my connection drops out. this is not a co-incidence as i have d/led the same files from different work places with different isps and had no problems. concerning the bt usage page, it is never accurate and you could find yourself over the limit without actually d/ling 30gbs. check it against some independent d/l meter software.

Advertisement