Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

weightwatchers/weight loss

• 13-01-2008 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    I have just started weightwatchers in the last week. I really need and want to make this work for me as I seriously need to start shifting the pounds asap.

I have a couple of questions,

Anyone who has been to weightwatchers before did you find that it worked well / how quickly did you start seeing results? I am finding the points system brilliant but wouldnt be a fan of the core plan

And also, I find it quite difficult to exercise properly as i had an operation a couple of years ago on my hip and its still not right (which has caused a serious amt of weight gain for me), I was wondering does anyone have any tips/info on exercises i could try? I am petrified of seeing an increase on the scales at this weeks meeting!

Any info on anything to do with weight loss / weight watchers / exercises that might work for me would be fantastic.

I am so determined to make this work but could do with a bit of help!

:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Hi caty! It's years since I did Weightwatchers, but of all the programs out there I think it's definitely one of the better ones out there - as long as you use your points to eat wholesome, nutritious foods and eat sensibly and consistently you'll see great results very fast!

As for the exercise, swimming might be something to consider to keep the weight off your hips but let you move around plenty?

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭catyb20

thanks g'em.

I've been told swimming before, but at the min im job hunting (to no success) and just can't afford to join a gym with a pool! and there are no public ones near me (that i know of)

Hopefully a job will come through shortly though because i am beginning to think that swimming is really the only option for me!

For now, my fingers are tightly crossed that the weightwatchers will do something!

catyb20 wrote: »
    For now, my fingers are tightly crossed that the weightwatchers will do something!

It will trust me ;) One piece of advice I will give though is try and look at the big picture. It's great seeing the scale numbers go down every week but your weight loss rate will fluctuate. When I have to lose weight for my sport I know that weight loss can vary wildly from one week to the next and it can be *so* frustrating on the weeks that the scales don't give you the news you want them too :o

It's those weeks that you have to just have faith in healthy foods and tell yourself that there's always next week and remind yourself how much more energised, happy and content you feel when you eat well. Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 deshocks

Oh my god that's mental I'm in the exact same place as you catyb20!

About 2 stone overweight due to a hip op a couple of years ago, now have arthritis and can do v little exercise. Swimming is the only thing I can really do, but it won't take the weight off - it'll tone you once you've lost the weight though. I've just started weight watchers too and I'm hoping to really beat this, as the more weight I put on, the worse the hip gets.

Another exercise I found ok was pilates but you'd have to do it at beginners' level- it strengthens the lower back and abdomen helping to support your hip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

My only advice re: weightwatchers is to read the literature they give you and take note of balancing your foods. You can eat your points but you still may not be eating properly. Also try eat as close to your points as possible. Don't try eat the minimum of points that you can - this will reduce your metabolism and reduce your rate of weight loss.

When you weigh yourself, the best thing I found was to be as empty as possible. If you weigh yourself after eating or drinking, then you'll naturally have more weight on you. Since meals may have varying weights, it's tougher to get an accurate reading. What worked for me was to go to the meeting just before dinner and go to the loo beforehand. That way I had a fairly constant amount of food and waste in my body.
    However, eating or drinking obviously won't affect your actual loss and the general trend will still be downwards - you just may have a harder time seeing it on the scales.

As g'em says, don't let yourself get disheartened by "off" weeks. Sometimes you do everything right and you see no change, or an increase. It happens.
    Drink as much water as you can. I always loss less when I spent a week dehydrated.

g'em may correct me on this one - but if you start doing strenuous exercise, you may find it tougher to see your weight go down. Afaik, when you exert yourself to the point of causing microtears in your muscles (which gradually builds muscle), your body will retain water around the affected areas, which will push up your weight during your resting periods. As I say, I may be wrong, but it's a trend I've noticed.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    g'em may correct me on this one - but if you start doing strenuous exercise, you may find it tougher to see your weight go down. Afaik, when you exert yourself to the point of causing microtears in your muscles (which gradually builds muscle), your body will retain water around the affected areas, which will push up your weight during your resting periods. As I say, I may be wrong, but it's a trend I've noticed.

oooh, that's a new way of describing it!! I'd have to check up on the water retention from muscle-tear angle (it sounds viable tbh) but you're definitely right that when you exercise hard and start to slowly build lean muscle mass it will affect your weight. You may even find your weight goes up when you start going to the gym. And that's when you have to start using the mirror, your clothes and a measuring tape to record progress. Muscle takes up less space but 'weighs' more than fat which means that a fit person with good muscle mass (not bodybuilder mass, just 'toned') could be a size 10 and weigh 11 stone whereas soemone with high bodyfat and little 'tone' of the same height could be 11 stone and a size 14-16!

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the replies! Gonna get the funds together and join the local swimming pool here, think that'd be the best option for now! (at least till the weight falls off) Ill then hopefully find it a bit easier to do more intense exercises.

Had my second weigh in at ww yesterday and was thrilled to see i lost 8.5lbs! :D:D:D

I know it wont be the same every week, but it was a great motivator seeing that pop up on the scales!

Just a little up date! ww is working a treat! After going up half a pound last week, i lost 5 pounds this week! That means i am only 1 pound off losing the stone! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Maybe start a diary in the food diary forum and let us track your progress?

Well done by the way!

Funnily enough, I have had surgery a number of times on my right hip and it has made weight-bearing exercise pretty difficult for me, too. I know you aren't in a gym yet, but if you ever do decide to join one, check out the machinery before you buy membership. At my gym there is a cardio machine that works like a bicycle, but you cycle with your arms rather than your legs. I really find that helpful in my workout.

Thank you, think i might do that alright!

My college gym had one of those hand cycling things, unfortunately im not entitled to the gym there anymore! But i think ill get somewhere with a swimming pool, swimming seems to be the recommended exercise for hip probs!

• Advertisement
Advertisement