Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Whats with all these Garda Cameras???

Options
  • 13-01-2008 6:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭

Why is there are Garda cameras located at almost every major street junction in the capital? Are they accurate? can they identify faces? can they identify registration plates of passing cars? Is Dublin turning into another Orwellian Capital like other cities in the western world?. :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Are you confusing them with the Council's 120 traffic cameras?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Rory123

OP you defo are confusing them with Dublin City Council's cameras... they're for checking traffic flows, crashes, break downs etc.

Tune in to DCAL 103.2FM, weekdays from 7am til 10am and 4pm til 7pm, if you've to get across the city in traffic. Trust me, you'll be happy that they are there after that!!! Great music too. ;)

Rory123 wrote: »
    Tune in to DCAL 103.2FM, weekdays from 7am til 10am
    Live Drive with the delightful Sarah! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

It used to be the case that if you lived in Dublin City "you were never more than ten feet from a rat" The same could be now said about cctv . :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

It used to be the case that if you lived in Dublin City "you were never more than ten feet from a rat" The same could be now said about cctv . :D

Four legged ones or two legged ones?:D

junkyard wrote: »
    Well said junkyard - I wouldn't worry too much about the four legged variety. :D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

There are some Garda cameras around the city but by and large the cameras are DCC traffic monitoring cameras.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

junkyard wrote: »

That raised a smile.

The cameras are, in practically all cases under local authority remit.

The gardai are neither so proactive, nor sadly at times, so pervasive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,289 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Moved to Conspiracy Theories.

Not your ornery onager

Are you confusing them with the Council's 120 traffic cameras?
    I presume all these "Council's" 120 traffic cameras can pan, zoom and tilt.

I presume all these 120 traffic cameras can pan, zoom and tilt.
    AFAIK there is a code of conduct whereby they can only be used in relation to traffic flow, accidents, junction problems, obstructions etc. I don't think they are allowed to zoom in on particular individuals or follow them or their vehicles.

AFAIK there is a code of conduct whereby they can only be used in relation to traffic flow, accidents, junction problems, obstructions etc. I don't think they are allowed to zoom in on particular individuals or follow them or their vehicles.
    Im sure if there was an incident they would have access rights as is the case with London Transport CCTV.

Advertisement