Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Alfa Romeo 156 (year 2000 ish)

Options
  • 13-01-2008 6:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭

Hi there, my friend is looking into getting a second hand car. He was looking at the AR 156 - a 2000 year model (1.6L). They look nice and are cheap - He wants to know if anyone has had one and if they are reliable.

Thanks.
    J.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,125 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Yes, as long as the timing belt AND tensioners are replaced at ~36k intervals.
    Ensure that you see receipts for ALL components.

Get the variator done at the same time.

Lookup the above on wikipedia if you unsure of what they are.

I've had more TwinSpark engines than you can shake a stick at, and they are good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Alright I'll tell him. Cheers buddy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

have to agree with 10-10-20 , Alfas are great oul cars

• Registered Users Posts: 51,241 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Also have the front suspension checked as this is a common weak spot on the 156 too.

Just make sure the car has been treated with care by the previous owner, Alfas are very unforgiving if they are not looked after properly, I would prefer to buy one from a seller who was an enthusiast who gave it plenty of TLC to be honest.

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/ is a good website to check out for different car makes and different years and potential / common problems etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Alfa owners have rich mechanics :D. No messing now, they tend to develop loads of niggly trouble but seldom very essential malfunctions. I suppose Alfas are just not designed to cope with our lovely medieval road surfaces.

I've had an Alfa now 2 years and only niggly trouble is a battery thats been with it since it was made 7 years ago and a fan belt snapping that was 7 years old too.

I think it basically comes down to whether the care has been cared for or not and that should be pretty obvious pretty quickly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

dlofnep wrote: »
    Hi there, my friend is looking into getting a second hand car. He was looking at the AR 156 - a 2000 year model (1.6L). They look nice and are cheap - He wants to know if anyone has had one and if they are reliable.

Thanks.
    J.

as with the above posts yes they are reliable if they are cared for

I know where there is a mint 2000 1.6 for sale, the owner is an Alfa nut and has looked after the car like a baby since he has had it, he is upgrading to something a bit faster, but still from the same family ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

thanks lads.

wow an Alfa thread in the motors section that didnt turn into a full blown Alfa bashing session.

who woulda thought :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,402 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

You forgot the "yet" ;)

lollers, indeed i did :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

miju wrote: »
    wow an Alfa thread in the motors section that didnt turn into a full blown Alfa bashing session.

who woulda thought :)

Quick, mods, lock it & make it a sticky!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Earth Worm Jim

dlofnep wrote: »

Thanks.
    J.

I can get you a nice 00 D 156 TS - silver - spoiler - alloys - beautiful looking motor - nct out about 4mths - 100k - 2 owners - service history up to 90k +
    Looking around 2500 euro but open to offers - car based in blanch - selling on behalve of an uncle.

PM me if your interested

Advertisement