Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best cleaning products for rifles

Options
  • 13-01-2008 6:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭

I was just wondering what are peoples views on rifle cleaning agents!
    Copper remover, carbon remover etc. and methods of cleaning?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

I don't know what range of guns it is suitable for, but I have found vfg bore cleaning paste to be shockingly good.

I used some on the rifle I shoot (which is pretty religiously cleaned) and I was shocked at the amount of crap that came out. It was about 4 hours of patches before they started to show signs of getting cleaner!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Hoppes or M Pro are excellent and Brunox oil.

Personally using M Pro range at moment find it excellent on 6.5 and 220 swift

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Sweets 7.62 is great, dont know if you can get it here though.

Traumadoc wrote: »
    Sweets 7.62 is great, dont know if you can get it here though.

Contains ammonia so you have to be careful to make sure you remove it properly or ammonia will attract moisture and may cause pitting in the barrel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I use Hoppes Benchrest on my .223, Parker Hale (I think) coated rod, spear tip jag, some nice handy round patches and a bore guide.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭pestshooter7

Where could i get the M pro 7 or hoppes bench rest?
    and also i was wondering is there different bore guides for different makes of rifle?
    Can you get these in galway? or near enough!

Can get all the stuff I listed in Galway yeah. Bore guide comes with some different attachments for different calibres, I forget which but they'll be able to tell ya in there.

Duffys i presume you mean.
    Any other shops in galway?

Yeah. Corrib tackle out in the Liosban estate somewhere is another spot, not cheap though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

All the commercial products mentioned by other posters work well.
    I have used a homemade solvent known as "Ed's Red" bore cleaner for over 10 years and would recommend it to anyone, especially competitive shooters and gun clubs. I usually give a pint or a quart to family and friends who shoot as Christmas or birthday presents. :)
    Warning : RIFLE BORE CLEANER CAUTION: HARMFUL IF SWALLOWED. :cool:

http://social.boards.ie/blog/double-barrel/2006/05/30/eds-red-er-bore-cleaner

• Advertisement

All the commercial products mentioned by other posters work well.
    I have used a homemade solvent known as "Ed's Red" bore cleaner for over 10 years and would recommend it to anyone, especially competitive shooters and gun clubs. I usually give a pint or a quart to family and friends who shoot as Christmas or birthday presents. :)
    Warning : RIFLE BORE CLEANER CAUTION: HARMFUL IF SWALLOWED. :cool:

http://social.boards.ie/blog/double-barrel/2006/05/30/eds-red-er-bore-cleaner

amazing ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭J.R.

Instead of the traditional rods & brushes / patches has any used the bore snake barrel cleaner in either a shotgun or rifle?

Are they any good / better than rod with patches / brushes?

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭dos29

im using a bore snake on a remmy 700 .223. seems to do the trick. at least when i look up the barrel it appears spotless. the only thing is i might start using a patch afterwards, for that piece of mind of seeing it come out the other end clean.

boresnake is not a good long term cleaning solution IMO

I use a boresnake in my 12ga and also my .22lr.

If anyone tried pulling a BS through my .223 I'd break either the .22lr or more likely the 12ga over their heads!

Just my opinion though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Ballistol is a nice cleaning agent for barrels and stock. It's based on natural ingrediences and is used by sports shooters as well as some German soldiers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

i use hoppes no 9, benchrest , sweets and forrest foam- at different times hoping what one misses the other gets !

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭dos29

@ johngalway
    from what ive read of your posts u seem to be fairly knowledgable on the whole shooting subject, so please enlighten me as to why your so against bore snake on your 223. im assuming its your vlss, and i have the very same model. id really like to know if im doing something that would damage my bore!!!:eek:

i wouldnt use a BS in my 223 either.
    its only good for cleaning surface powder and carbon!
    it wont remove metal or tought carbon fouling!
    its ok in shotguns id say, but rifles its dodgy in my opinion.

dos29 wrote: »
    @ johngalway
    from what ive read of your posts u seem to be fairly knowledgable on the whole shooting subject, so please enlighten me as to why your so against bore snake on your 223. im assuming its your vlss, and i have the very same model. id really like to know if im doing something that would damage my bore!!!:eek:

Thanks Dos, I wouldn't agree though @ me being knowledgeable! (might as well get that in myself before someone else comes along and says it :D)

I'd be worried about any possible damage to the crown, over a period of time I have heard it may be possible to damage it with a boresnake unless it's being pulled out absolutely straight each time. I don't want to take the chance is all. I'm not too worried about my .22lr to be honest, I'm just careful with it, but I'll not ever use one on my .223.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I have boresnakes for both my 5.56mm and my 7.62mm and am fully confident that it's not going to damage the rifle. Heck, you've probably got more chance of scratching the crown and chamber with a traditional cleaning rod. It shouldn't be the only tool in your arsenal, from time to time you just have to go after it with a brass brush on the end of a rod and applied vigorously, but if you're a light shooter it should be perfectly adequate for general cleaning.

As for liquid, brake cleaner did wonders for the GPMG to get the worst of the fouling. Routinely, I use BreakFree CLP, and I also have Miltec-1, which I really need to remember to apply. It's a bizarre thing which requires you to throw the firearm's parts into the oven to molecularly bond with the lubricant but by all accounts it works very well. I just have never gotten around to convincing the wife that putting firearms into her oven is perfectly normal.

NTM

Advertisement