Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

how do i send a program??HotmaIL wont allow it

• 13-01-2008 6:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭

Hi, My Dad is really useless with computers and is always ringing me to help him with stuff on his pc.. Its really hard to explain directions over the phone, and usually ends up a half hour phone call and he still doesnt understand what he's doing..
    So, I found this cool program called CROSSLOOP, and it basically lets you control the other person's pc, as long as both people have CROSSLOOP installed on their pcs and both people are logged in..

So, I have it installed on my pc and I want to get it installed on my Dad's pc so I can just control his pc whenever he wants me to.

Here lies the problem, he hasnt a clue how to download apps to his pc..

So I tried to send the set-up program to his e-mail addy so he could just set it up from there.
    But HOTMAIL wouldn't allow me to send the set-up file or even the program itself cause the filename ended with .exe

Can anyone tell me how I can send a working program like CROSSLOOP to my Da's pc thru e-mail or MSN?? Or is it impossible???

I waS THINKing if I zipped the whole set-up file I might be able to send it to his e-mail then, no???

Someone please help, you will save me hours of frustration, as I'm not that technical myself either..

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Try www.logmein.com instead - much easier to set up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

You answered your own question. If you zip it you will be able to send it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

The Muppet wrote: »
    You answered your own question. If you zip it you will be able to send it.
    IIRC, Hotmail scans the contents of zip files and may not allow an EXE to be sent through it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Beelzebub

Knock off the .exe file extension and see if you can't send it then.

IIRC, Hotmail scans the contents of zip files and may not allow an EXE to be sent through it.

Does it do the same for RARs because I'm sure I have sent compressed exe's recently?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Pretty sure both Hotmail and Gmail scan zip and rar files and disallow sending executable files.

Beelzebub, knocking off the .exe extension won't work either (at least not in Gmail).

rmacm wrote: »
    Beelzebub, knocking off the .exe extension won't work either (at least not in Gmail).

And besides, if the OP's father isn't too technologically minded, how do you explain this to him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    And besides, if the OP's father isn't too technologically minded, how do you explain this to him?

Good point. I agree that the www.logmein.com option is probably the easiest thing to set up for the OP and his father.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭peteburnshndbag

So, is it basically impossible to send an application to someone who woudn't know how o download it themselves but would know how to use it??

Thats ridicilous

Sorry, the program I meant to type is called CROSSLOOP, not cooliris, dont know what made me dothat..
    Is LogMeIn the same as Crossloop in that it lets u control your mates pc.. But does it have to be installed on helper's and helpee's(if thats a word) pc??

I was just on the LogMeIn website, and thats commercial software

Crossloop is afree program, I would just love to know how to send a .exe file thru e-mail or whatever??

• Advertisement

I was just on the LogMeIn website, and thats commercial software

Crossloop is afree program, I would just love to know how to send a .exe file thru e-mail or whatever??

It can be done by chaging file extensions but in your case it will be more confusing for the recipient than getting him to downlad crossloop from its site.

Will your dads email address allow him recieve exe's , Gmail and Hotmail don't ? If so if you pm me your dads email address I will mail the program to him for you if you like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

You could send him the direct link to the setup exe on the crossloop site, telling him to save it on c drive or my docs, somewhere where he can easily access it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭dubmick

rename the file as an .mp3 and send and then instruct your dad to rename it back to an exe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

rkm wrote: »
    You could send him the direct link to the setup exe on the crossloop site, telling him to save it on c drive or my docs, somewhere where he can easily access it.

This is what i was just about to post.... just copy the link location and get him to download it.
    You know, windows XP does have a remote control session built in, but you might have to open some ports on your dads router.
    logmein might be the best solution if you run into problems with this crosslink software.

So, is it basically impossible to send an application to someone who woudn't know how o download it themselves but would know how to use it??

Thats ridicilous

No, we are not saying that. What we are saying is that the e-mail system you are using will not allow that.

There is a free version of Logmein that should do what you want.

Worst case scenario - what OS is your father using? If it is XP, there is a remote control software built in. Look for Remote Assistance. I've used it before and it is pretty reliable.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

instead of sending him the app, send the download link to it

install the app on your pc and send screen shots along with press next type instructions

www.7zip.org as another way of sending the program

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Kernel32

I would also advise the use of LogMeIn. I have used it for a few years now, both the free for home use and commerical for business use. Easy to setup, easy to use and very reliable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭Barlow07

Kernel32 wrote: »
    I would also advise the use of LogMeIn. I have used it for a few years now, both the free for home use and commerical for business use. Easy to setup, easy to use and very reliable.

I was looking for program like this for a while, i've installed and it works great no problems, very easy to use. I downloaded i think a trial version, so i presume you need to keep downloading or register after it expires which i think is 120days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

You could upload it to zshare.net or yousendit.com and just send him that link?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Kernel32

Barlow07 wrote: »
    I was looking for program like this for a while, i've installed and it works great no problems, very easy to use. I downloaded i think a trial version, so i presume you need to keep downloading or register after it expires which i think is 120days?

When you do the free trial you get the Pro version. When the trial finishes you will be prompted when you login and it will give you some options, pay for the Pro or more to the Free version. The major difference between the two is the ability to move files. The free version allows you to control a desktop and thats it, maybe connect printers. The Pro version allows you to copy files back and forth between the local and remote machine.

• Advertisement

Kernel32 wrote: »
    When you do the free trial you get the Pro version. When the trial finishes you will be prompted when you login and it will give you some options, pay for the Pro or more to the Free version. The major difference between the two is the ability to move files. The free version allows you to control a desktop and thats it, maybe connect printers. The Pro version allows you to copy files back and forth between the local and remote machine.

Exactly. Thats what i didnt like when i read up on LogMeIn, it doesnt allow the transfer of files on free version..

Anyways, thanks for all the advice and the guy who offered to do it for me.. but i was on the phone to my Dad today for 30minutes and I talked him thru downloading CROSSLOOP onto his pc to the DESKTOP so he can easily open it..
    I couldnt believe it, after about 3 minutes I was controlling my Dads pc.. Its brilliant software and Free and it allows the transfer of files between pcs which LogMeIn does not..

This has helped me out so much.. I loved messing around with his pc from my house, and it took me 30 seconds to fix the formatting problem he was having in WORD, he couldnt find the menu bar cause someone accidentally hid it:rolleyes:

Thanks guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭Barlow07

Exactly. Thats what i didnt like when i read up on LogMeIn, it doesnt allow the transfer of files on free version..

Anyways, thanks for all the advice and the guy who offered to do it for me.. but i was on the phone to my Dad today for 30minutes and I talked him thru downloading CROSSLOOP onto his pc to the DESKTOP so he can easily open it..
    I couldnt believe it, after about 3 minutes I was controlling my Dads pc.. Its brilliant software and Free and it allows the transfer of files between pcs which LogMeIn does not..

I downloaded this software on to my desktop and also on to my laptop as i wanted to test it out and access files on my PC. The problem is i cant get this to work and i know its probably something so silly.

I got the access code from my desktop and entered into the Crossloop on my Laptop and selected connect, but it wont connect and a timer comes counting down and nothing happens. Note: I logged into the crossloop on my laptop but not on my desktop.

help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

rename the file to .exee then send it

Barlow07 wrote: »
    I downloaded this software on to my desktop and also on to my laptop as i wanted to test it out and access files on my PC. The problem is i cant get this to work and i know its probably something so silly.

I got the access code from my desktop and entered into the Crossloop on my Laptop and selected connect, but it wont connect and a timer comes counting down and nothing happens. Note: I logged into the crossloop on my laptop but not on my desktop.

help?

You have to press the SHARE TAB(Grey) on the pc that WANTS HELP and press the ACCESS TAB (Green) on the pc that is GIVING THE HELP..

The person who wants help must give their ACCESS CODE to the helper so they can then type this 12digit access code into the access code box on their machine. The person wh wants help doesnt need to do anything but press CONNECT, and allow the helper to take control

On BOTH PCS, you must press CONNECT, and on helpee's pc, then press YES in the dialog box that pops up to allow the helper to take control..

Hope this helps, let us know ok

Advertisement