Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What car for 20k ,opinions please.

Options
  • 13-01-2008 7:07pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi people,im looking at changing me current 03 VW Passat TDI 130bhp 75,000 miles to something up the years.
    Ive about 10k to spend.
    Im after something reliable and nice and quiet to drive,big enough for wife and 2 small kids.
    First stop was my local toyota dealer who is offering me 10,500 for my car off a 06 avensis aura with 10,000on clock.
    Same offer on a 08 corolla.

The avensis tempts me but a few new models seem to fall under the full price umbrella of 20k euro and ill be honest brand new 08 is tempting.
    Seems ill get atleast 10k for my car plus 10 to pend im looking for a few other options.
    Im looking for something that will suit my needs but will also offer good resale value in 3-5 years.

Some 08 cars i can get for in or around 20k are

Ford focus [is there a new model coming in march?]
    Skoda Octavia
    Toyota Corolla
    Suzuki sx4
    Nissan tida
    opel astra
    Seat leon,altea,toledo,cordoba
    Kia, hyundai models
    Also the french and itaiian marques but ill never buy one of them:)

Opinions welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

you going diesel again, did you buy the 130bhp for the power? would you miss it?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

you going diesel again, did you buy the 130bhp for the power? would you miss it?

I should of said ,no im not going diesel im simply not doing the mileage.
    Yeah the passat is very quick but i rarely use the power available if im being honest with you.
    Something quiet,smooth,reliable with decent residuals is what im after.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

you won't get a new Corolla till April or May by the way.

Yeah so i was told by the dealer.

Anyone any thought here ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

As far as im aware the focus is due an bodylift this year. But other than that its a top car. Great handliing and 1.6 packs decent punch. Friend works in ford so have driven alot of his trade ins and demo's. Personal opinion i like the Audi A4 and Ford Focus. Audi has obvious similarities to your current.

Cheers Listermint.
    Im looking at this later this evening

http://www.toyota.ie/assured-used-cars/car/334de64b-80bf-45c9-9fa9-694fd59e0dfb

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Imo The Avensis is a decent breed. great track record but tends not to retain its value very well. The Ibiza wont fit the kids?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Avensis is due to be replaced soon(production of the replacement is meant to be starting in October), so it is not viable to be buying a car that is going to be replaced soon.

It is a lovely car though, far far better than the Corolla.

And come July diesels will only cost a small bit more than their petrol counterparts or maybe even in some cases less than their petrol counterparts not to mention the much lower tax rates, so don't write ofd diesel in terms of making financial sense at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Efioanaes wrote: »
    Anyone any thought here ?

I have one thought... the Tida is pure disgusting looking, so if that helps knock that off your list! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

I know the forum rules!!!

OP would you take 10500e cash sale for your current car?

Am sure you could sell it quick enough and get a better deal on a new car.

Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDI is my recommend. Everything you want there and VFM. Even if its just for the drive ability.

Otherwise for a petrol model, get the Astra 1.4 Design.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Caveat

My thoughts would be Leon or Octavia.

Thanks guys.
    Kluivert,is that an offer of 10,500?
    Im putting it up for private sale tonight as its worth a shot,toyota dealer will hold avensis for me for a week so worth trying for private sale for the week.

pm me if your interested kluivert,what i will say is its got audi RS6 alloys in great condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭steven22

Hi steven,yeah thats why im trying for private sale,dealers never give as much for trade in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=831078

You might get this in your budget, they tick all the boxes.

Think the 1.4 Tsi is available on this model, this year also, might be out of budget.

Advertisement