Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Aid in the city

Options
  • 13-01-2008 7:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭

Crackin, im living in cork city and am interested in joining red cross or order of malta anyone know where i can in the city?!

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

st john ambulance are on victoria road. classes are on tuesdays 8-10ish and adults train on a thursday 8-10ish. i'd suggest giving them a bell to see when the next course starts, 0214315555 (in the evening).

there's a few order of malta divisions and red cross divisions scattered about the city and surrounds, not sure where though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Kidd-o

cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

I would recomend OMAC

they seem to have better crack for younger people,

The city branch of the Red Cross seem to be very poor in regard of retention
    There are a few people in St Johns, that i have found to be , not as nice to work with,

Now depending on how much you want to travel there are other options too

• Registered Users Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

The Red Cross City Branch has a website, google it and you will have contact details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Mr.Mister

I recommend the Cork City Civil Defence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Mr.Mister wrote: »
    I recommend the Cork City Civil Defence.

+1 a buddies in it and they get to do abseiling and stuff.

Or Join the RDF Medics. You get paid sometimes. and its a laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 ChunkyManSkinny

As such the only 2 first aid organisations in the city are St. Johns and Red Cross. OMAC are based in Carrigaline and Rathcormac.
    The Cork City Unit of OMAC is no longer in operation due to internal difficulties within the organisation.
    St Johns (according to their website) have a PHECC EMFR program, where as Red Cross do not.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

As such the only 2 first aid organisations in the city are St. Johns and Red Cross. OMAC are based in Carrigaline and Rathcormac.
    The Cork City Unit of OMAC is no longer in operation due to internal difficulties within the organisation.
    St Johns (according to their website) have a PHECC EMFR program, where as Red Cross do not.

PHECC don't recognise anyones EMFR programmes and Red Cross have an equivalent. If your not in City Centre then Red Cross could be more for someone as theres lots of activity in towns, likewise if your in Carrig, then OMAC is better. All organisations are undergoing procedures to align themselves with PHECC and all 4 voluntarys will have equivalent courses soon.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

isnt there an omac in mahon?

Tree wrote: »
    isnt there an omac in mahon?

Mahon became cork city

• Advertisement

TheDriver wrote: »
    PHECC don't recognise anyones EMFR programmes and Red Cross have an equivalent. If your not in City Centre then Red Cross could be more for someone as theres lots of activity in towns, likewise if your in Carrig, then OMAC is better. All organisations are undergoing procedures to align themselves with PHECC and all 4 voluntarys will have equivalent courses soon.

According to the PHECC website the only vol authorised to provide EMT training is OMAC. St. Johns are still recognised for EMFR

Advertisement