Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biology

Options
  • 13-01-2008 7:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭

I'm doing honours Biology, and I managed to get by last year by cramming, with about an average of a C3 at the end of the year. I really intended to work harder this year (6th) but it hasn't happened and now I'm failing. My mocks are in 2 weeks and I've been studying everything else and putting it off but now I really need to do something! If I fail it in my mocks I'm going to be grounded until after the Leaving and I really don't want that. Anyone have any ideas on key chapters I should study, because there's no way I can get it all done! Or the best way to study Biology, I might as well be starting 5th year now, that's how little I know. Thanks a million...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,933 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Photosynthesis, Respiration and DNA/Genetics didn't come up last year so should come up this year...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

mars bar wrote: »
    Photosynthesis, Respiration and DNA/Genetics didn't come up last year so should come up this year...
    well the mocks and the leaving are different but ya those chapters are the most important
    as well as all that crap on plants

finding it very hard aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

Buy the revisewise biology book, trust me it will be a sound investment! As for the person who said that photosynthesis, respiration and DNA didn't come up, he is WORNG, I should know as;
    i)I did the exam
    ii) I'm looking at the paper as I type

The best way to prep for any exam is to do the past papers, those will give you an idea on what they ask and what they are looking for. At this point the best book to have is a book of past papers.

Buy the revisewise biology book, trust me it will be a sound investment! As for the person who said that photosynthesis, respiration and DNA didn't come up, he is WORNG, I should know as;
    i)I did the exam
    ii) I'm looking at the paper as I type

The best way to prep for any exam is to do the past papers, those will give you an idea on what they ask and what they are looking for. At this point the best book to have is a book of past papers.

Excuse me, I did the exam last year also and DNA didn't come up in the long questions so expect it this year...

oh really? http://www.examinations.ie/archive/exampapers/2007/LC025ALP000EV.pdf
    10. (a) (i) The DNA molecule is composed of two strands held together by paired bases.
    1. Which base can link only to thymine?
    2. Which base can link only to cytosine?
    (ii) Name the type of bonding which occurs between members of a base pair. (9)
    (b) (i) Explain what is meant by the term DNA profiling.
    (ii) Give a brief account of the stages involved in DNA profiling.
    (iii) Give two applications of DNA profiling.
    (iv) What is genetic screening? (27)
    (c) “The same amount of DNA is present in nuclei of cells taken from the liver, heart, pancreas and
    muscle of a rat.”
    (i) Use your knowledge of DNA and mitosis to explain this statement.
    (ii) Name a cell produced by the rat which will contain a different amount of DNA in its
    nucleus to those mentioned above.
    (iii) Briefly outline how you isolated DNA from a plant tissue. (24)

Now if thats not I question on DNA I don't know what is...

• Advertisement

Sorry, my bad. I suppose I meant the crosses, I'd expect them this year...hopefully!

Sorry again IrishKnight...

No worries

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭goodgodholmes

DNA came up last year, but I didn't do that question.

Genetic corsses came up as well but in the short questions, on a chromosome diagram.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Respiration came up too, it was the second long question.

DNA came up last year, but I didn't do that question.

Genetic corsses came up as well but in the short questions, on a chromosome diagram.

That genetics thing took me by surprise last year...it was the last thing i did on the paper coz i had to clear my head to figure it out...got it right in the end though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Kmf

is it easy enough to avoid certain topics,i.e.Respiration!?
    (I'm in fifth year and we havnt looked at exam papers yet)...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

mars bar wrote: »

There was and always is a whole question on DNA/Genetics, what I think you mean though is that there has been nothing on DNA replication or protein synthesis (HL only material) and if so, you would be right. Could well come up this year.

Advertisement