Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus fare up 12.5%

Options
  • 13-01-2008 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭

Tramore bus fare gone up another big percentage €2.70, ya'd imagine they should be trying to woo people out of their cars as it seems illogical that it's cheaper to drive than bus it even if ya had the extra hour to waste every day

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

All the prices went up, not just in Tramore. Its a national thing that happens every year, to most transport services. Dont particularly agree with it either..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,249 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

12.5% is a fairly big increase, it's now over a fiver to get in and out of town

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

I wouldn't mind the price increases if they improved the service.

The only real improvements to the Tramore-Waterford route in recent years was that they have a bus every 30 minutes now instead of every 40 minutes and they finally got the Riverstown bus stop built.

Other than that, we sometimes have to put up with ancient Dublin City bus rejects from the 80's/90's. Even some of the newer buses are already showing there age. The noise off the buses can be like being in an airplane some days, the engines on them are so loud (horrible when you've got a hangover and feel like your brain is inside a washing machine!).

A lot of the drivers are very ignorant. People always give out about taxi drivers but nothing compares to bus drivers who for the most part don't have a clue about customer service.

The buses are often over crowded in the summer, meaning loads of people having to stand or else the bus would already be so full that it would drive straight passed bus stops full of people.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

12.5% is a fairly big increase, it's now over a fiver to get in and out of town

Adult Fare on that route is only €2.70 up from €2.50. Bus Passes for students is now €42 iirc.

I wouldn't mind the price increases if they improved the service.

The only real improvements to the Tramore-Waterford route in recent years was that they have a bus every 30 minutes now instead of every 40 minutes and they finally got the Riverstown bus stop built.

It still feels like every 40mins. Not common for it to be on time.
    Other than that, we sometimes have to put up with ancient Dublin City bus rejects from the 80's/90's. Even some of the newer buses are already showing there age. The noise off the buses can be like being in an airplane some days, the engines on them are so loud (horrible when you've got a hangover and feel like your brain is inside a washing machine!).

Waterford City route uses the new buses, which indeed do make a fair bit of noise. The Tramore route uses the older buses including Coaches and the odd time we get the old Dublin buses.
    A lot of the drivers are very ignorant. People always give out about taxi drivers but nothing compares to bus drivers who for the most part don't have a clue about customer service.

Never found them to be that bad tbh..
    The buses are often over crowded in the summer, meaning loads of people having to stand or else the bus would already be so full that it would drive straight passed bus stops full of people.

I agree, but I think they still fit within each buses policy on how many are allowed stand etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,249 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Sully wrote: »
    Adult Fare on that route is only €2.70 up from €2.50. Bus Passes for students is now €42 iirc.
    Yeah but that is a single fare

And the drivers, I won't even start...

And the drivers, I won't even start...

Interesting to hear peoples experiences, don't think iv found any dodgy driver. The odd time one of the city drivers brings the bus home at night and is late and drives out very fast. He opens the doors before the stop, and expects people to jump before he comes to a complete stop. He then tears of the second the person is of the bus. Saw him do it to a poor old lady, who indeed slipped down the bus. She held herself up pretty well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

He then tears of the second the person is of the bus. Saw him do it to a poor old lady, who indeed slipped down the bus.

Just one of my gripes with drivers.

Sometimes they would be pulling into a stop and rather than slow down gradually they would wait till the last second and slam on the brakes, so anyone standing up could fall, especially when it's an old person or if the floor is wet from people's shoes on a rainy day.

Same thing when they are pulling away from a stop, they would just slam on the accellerator soon as people have gotten off, again this can be dangerous if you're standing.

Some of them can be very rude too. One incident I'll mention was that I was on the bus one day, we were stuck in traffic along the Mall, and I was sitting half way down the bus listening to my mp3 player when the bus driver actually got out of his seat, came down the bus aisle, started looking around and then at me, accused me of having my mp3 player on too loud and angrily told me to turn it down, "that's your private property, keep it to yourself." Now my cheap headphones didn't emit anything more than a tiny hissing sound, and it was only this loud because the bus and traffic were so loud anyway.

Bar one or two drivers, they are all narky, ignorant fúckers who never heard the phrase "service with a smile."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭paul666

Interesting to hear peoples experiences, don't think iv found any dodgy driver. The odd time one of the city drivers brings the bus home at night and is late and drives out very fast. He opens the doors before the stop, and expects people to jump before he comes to a complete stop. He then tears of the second the person is of the bus. Saw him do it to a poor old lady, who indeed slipped down the bus. She held herself up pretty well.
    if he was caught doing that he would be sacked on the spot. someone should report him

paul666 wrote: »
    if he was caught doing that he would be sacked on the spot. someone should report him

I'm surprised people have had bad experiences on the route. Iv found most drivers to be grand. Same with Taxis. Guess I am just lucky!

• Advertisement
Advertisement