Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"New" AGP System Opinions

Options
  • 13-01-2008 8:11pm

I have managed to try and prolong the life of my agp system.
    Never felt that i ever had to spend ridiuclous amounts of money on upgrades.
    I will go to pci eventually but not for another while.
    So my system looks something like this:

Windows Xp Home Service Pack 2
    AMD AM2-X2 4200 dual core on nforce 3 motherboard
    2 gigs of pc3200 ram
    Sapphire x1950pro agp 8x 512mg - best agp card out there i think.
    New Samsung Sata 80gb + 500gb usb 2.0 7200rpm drive
    Colors-it Titan 550 watt ATX 12v

Basically im looking for someones honest opinions on performance in latest games, ut3, crysis, call of duty 4 etc. It wont be all set up till after this week. Spent a month reading about all the best parts and possible problems. Eventually narrowed down to what you see above.
    Cheers, M!Ck^
    :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Archytas

I had a pretty similar setup until recently when bought an entire new system. I had a 6800GT though and only a AMD64 X2 3800+. I'd been gaming on it quite well until crysis. Half life was fine on lowish resolutions. COD, oblivion, world in conflict, battlefield, C&C3 etc. all very playable.

I dunno about crysis but Im sure the rest of them will play quite fine on medium settings and lowish(1024 or so) resolutions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

All fine on high settings at moderate resolution (1280x1024 downwards), with the exception of Crysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Chosen

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Sapphire x1950pro agp 8x 512mg - best agp card out there i think.

Nope:

PowerColor 3850 512MB AGP

GeCube to follow.
    Just give a week or two and you can be AGP+DX10.1 compatible ;)

• HavoK wrote: »
    All fine on high settings at moderate resolution (1280x1024 downwards), with the exception of Crysis.

As in crysis will run well on medium to high at maybe we say 800x600 - 1024 x 768 ??
    Chosen wrote: »
    Nope:

PowerColor 3850 512MB AGP

GeCube to follow.
    Just give a week or two and you can be AGP+DX10.1 compatible ;)

What website sells this card??

Crysis is a real hardware whore so I wouldn't use it as any sort of basis for a given cards performance in current titles. Assuming your definition of an enjoyable playing experience is maintaining at least 40fps average, 1280x1024 medium settings should be fine.

• Advertisement

• HavoK wrote: »
    Crysis is a real hardware whore so I wouldn't use it as any sort of basis for a given cards performance in current titles. Assuming your definition of an enjoyable playing experience is maintaining at least 40fps average, 1280x1024 medium settings should be fine.
    ok thanks for your help havok :)

• Well a bit of a disater this week. Got sent out the wrong cpu. I have seen this cpu as the next best thing i can get
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+ (2GHz) Socket 939 512KB L2 Cache OEM Processor for a socket 939,
    also a single core amd 64 4000+ 1meg cache

which one would give me better performance in we say bioshock/crysis/ call of duty etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Get the X2....

Dual core is a big big help in all the games you have mentioned....

You can probably clock it past the x2 4200, maybe 2.4ghz

• ok squall but does the cache size of the processor make a difference?

Not a whole lot in terms of just gaming (It will make a difference, but nothing catastrophic), but the clock speed is a bit of a concern, slower then an equivalent Core 2 and not a whole lot of headroom for overclocking either....a 3600+ is really bottom of the barrel stuff. Still OK for most games with a good card mind...

• Advertisement

Not really...

Have a look at the cpu section on this review of call of duty 4...

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6183967/p-5.html

The Amd (dual core) FX60 clocked @2.0ghz is killing the Amd 4000 clocked @2.4ghz (single core),both have the same amount of cache.....

HavoK wrote: »
    Not a whole lot in terms of just gaming (It will make a difference, but nothing catastrophic), but the clock speed is a bit of a concern, slower then an equivalent Core 2 and not a whole lot of headroom for overclocking either....a 3600+ is really bottom of the barrel stuff. Still OK for most games with a good card mind...

The x2 3600 is not a bad overclocker,you should be able to get it to 2.4ghz on air,alot more with a €20 zalman/artic cooler

• ok guys i think i will go with the dual core i may be able to get the x2 3800+ edition, if not its the 3600.

thanks for your help, will reply back if it works :P

• just spotted this on elara.ie

http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=MMEB960165

apperently in a review i read it performs near to a x2 4800 amd??

Is this true and is it worth the price?

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Chosen

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    just spotted this on elara.ie

http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=MMEB960165

apperently in a review i read it performs near to a x2 4800 amd??

Is this true and is it worth the price?

Why spend €170 on an AMD processor right now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Chosen wrote: »
    Why spend €170 on an AMD processor right now?

:rolleyes: My thoughts exactly
    Get some money together for a new build. Agp, ddr1, socket 939.........2 many components years outdated m8, you'd be throwing money away. I thought from the 1st post you had da chip.

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    :rolleyes: My thoughts exactly
    Get some money together for a new build. Agp, ddr1, socket 939.........2 many components years outdated m8, you'd be throwing money away. I thought from the 1st post you had da chip.

Agree you can get a Gigabyte ds3 and a E2180 for €150

The agp x1950pro would make a good price on ebay and you might get €45 to pay for the ram by selling the 939 mobo and ram....

Advertisement