Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best restaurants in the west.

Options
  • 13-01-2008 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭

Golden Sea Chinese Restaurant in Charlestown Co. Mayo is one of the best chinese restaurants ive eaten in, and ive been to a few:D, here and abroad. Can anyone recommend a good Indian, Italian etc in the west. Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Gun_Slinger

My tuppence worth:

Best restaurants by a mile I have tried in Mayo are in the Knockranny Hotel Westport and Park Inn Mulranny. Both 4 star hotel with amazing food. A little pricey but worth it for a special occasion.

Chinese in Castlebar I like is the Golden Sea as well (dont know if they are the same chain). Love the food here.

Lovely little Italian in Westport called Torinos. And the new one in Castlebar (Portifinos) isnt bad either.

Pub Grub, cant go wrong with most places out the Quay in Westport although its been a few years since I ate out there. Nevins pub near Mulranny is spot on, great spot for grub altogether!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Chef's are the hardest to please IMO when eating out. so here's my selection in Mayo.

Agree with gun_slinger Nevin's is great for food, fast, reliably good food and very reasonably priced too. comfy spacious bar to eat in and the service is excellent.

For that very special occasion An Carraig in castlebar, church street (i think) very very good. all of the above with a more fine dining aspect. Alot pricier though, nice wine menu also.

Now, for that once a year occasion, or if youre really out to impress go to Newport house. Seasonal, so it closes for a few winter months, opens April to October i think.
    i'm pretty sure it's around €60-€70 / head, set 7 course menu. Don't panic at that, portions are very small and the variety is wonderful. Homemade everything, great sorbets, cheeseboards are just indescribable, a salad course :D !! Really over the top 3 hour job but with Silver service, wonderful old high ceilings, and all the old fashioned things in the place it's a great evening. And it youre feeling flush they have wine priced over 2k per bottle in their vast cellar :eek:!!!

Have yet to find something decent for fine dining in Westport but Ring for coffee is the place for steak sambo's if i'm out shopping for the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 jimmyjoe9

Where would one eat on Achill Island?? Going there next weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Honestly its a very seasonal place, so this time of year variety is very limited. Depends what youre looking for. I can tell you who does what this time of year.

Fine dining: only one place open, Ferndale, main courses about €26, not your run of the mill place, very exotic menu from wild boar to the highly reccomended Mongolian BBQ. Be prepared though, not a 1 hour job, Jon considers it a dining "experience" so its very relaxed.

Restaurants:
    Achill cliff house, very popular with locals and visitors, reasonably priced opens for dinner about 6.30- 8.30 i think 098 43400. booking advisable on Sat night. Usual stuff, steaks are great.

Ostan Oilean Acla. Rest and bar food, open till 9pm i think. Same again, steak dinner is €20.95, fast service in the bar, its hotel so there is a night club too if you want to dance off the calories after!

Connaughtons, bar food and restaurant, not quite sure about opening times, but the bar food is all day. They get alot of the "christina Gallagher" business :D.

Gieltys, this is located almost at the end of the island on the way to keem bay, nice bar food menu, and they do a pizza menu u till eleven. No restarurant.

I work in Mastersons, it's in Dugort. Usual bar food menu on Sat, steaks ( i do seem to mention that alot dont i :D) but its the most popular choice. Roasts etc, all the predictables if you know what i mean. bar food and restaurant on Sun, 3 course lunch €16.95. If you drop in say hi, always good to look after a fellow boardsie!

Oh theres always the chinese in Keel almost forgot, don't reccomend though, wish we had a decent one, i would be thier best customer!

Hope i haven't left any place out. As i said lots more open from Easter on.
    After your weekend, regardless of where you at please come back and let me know how you got on. Was it good, priced well, service, cean etc. Nice to hear what people think of Achill in general.
    Hope the weather doesn't let us down!
    Katrina

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I had an excellent experience some time back in Mount Falcon near Ballina. I'll probably be going there again soon, so I'll report back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭threebeards

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I had an excellent experience some time back in Mount Falcon near Ballina. I'll probably be going there again soon, so I'll report back.

And did you have any experience of the food there afterwards Paul??? :D

:p

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭KoNiT

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

For a nice indian I would recommend Tulsi in castlebar. Lovely

I'd normally agree, but my last outing there was... unimpressive. Might have been having an off day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 IloveAchill

Anytime we go to Castlebar we always go to The Olive Tree. Delicious home made food - greek/moroccon/indian dishes on the menu. Desserts to die for and the coffee is always a hit - only decent coffee in Castlebar! Gets mad busy at lunch time, but after 3pm is a good time to go eat and be happy ;-)

Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

The Purple Onion Restaraunt in Roscommon, can't think of the town name tho :D.... serves lovely food. cosy warm restaraunt. I left with an extremely positive experience.

If you go to Murrisk in Westport, you'll find the Tavern Bar and Restaraunt. Excellent Place. Ate there tonight, and I have to say the food was reasonably priced, excellent and friendly service. Quick food and it was delicious. Children's play area and Pool table as well.

Mango's on Bridge Street in westport is also a fine dine. haven't been there in a few months, but it is very nice...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

anyone know/recommend a Thai restaurant or a restaurant that does a mixture of dishes including Thai in the mayo area?

Chinese in Westport - Lantern? - has a Thai section on the menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

If you're in Ballina, try Quorum (in Quattro's pub) - bit pricey, but very nice food. The pub grub in Quattro's is nice as well - nicest garlic bread in the world:D

The Bard is also a regular spot for me and the missus - they now have an Italian chef and the food is excellant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭smurfy89

If you're looking for a good chinese in Ballina Chungs is the place to go! Chicken dry hot & spicy is lovely.. and the staff are always really friendly. The Lantern is good too though =)

The lantern has gone down-hill since the change of ownership - it can be a hit and miss with the food some nights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

Cafollas.....chips like no other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭smurfy89

Yum.. cafollas chips :P Best ever!!

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Samhain

The chips in Cafollas in Castlebar arent as nice as they used to be, they dont seem to cook them for long enough. My recommendations for food would include The Shebeen in Westport for Sunday lunch, reasonable prices, good service. Tulsi in Castlebar was nice a few years ago but it has gone down. I think Dhaka is the best indian in town now but they do have the occasional "off" day. Agape is also nice for lunch, havent tried the evening menu yet though. Castlebar does has a shortage of really nice places to go for evening meals though....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

best places in castlebar for food

Indian:Tulsi,(forget,lol)Beside ESB Shop:D
    Chinese:Golden Sea,Knockthomas Hill
    Italian:Al Murettos,Linenhall St.
    Irish/Seafood:An Carraig,Church St.
    Chipper:Caffollas,Castle St.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭RMDrive

I'll copy Donmeister's format...

CASTLEBAR

Indian: Dhaka (used to like Tulsi but since their staff set up Dhaka, I've gone with them)
    Chinese: The one on the main street
    Italian: Al Muretto (not a big Italian fan to be honest. But I love small Italians :D)
    Irish/Seafood: NONE!! The menu in An Carraig hasn't changed in years and it annoys me to eat there because of that.
    Chipper: Danolla's on Castle St. Way better than Cafollas. They fry their onions for their burgers!!

Olive tree is also pretty good but again could do with a menu change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭Mweelrea

oscarBravo wrote: »

Couldn't agree with you more
    The Kitchen Resteraunt in Mount Falcon, Ballina is a lovely place to eat

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭theduffer

has anyone eaten in the quay cottage westport recently? going to eat there tomorrow nite...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Had a meal recently in an carraig in castlebar, big table 12 of us, used to a good meal there but were very dissapointed.
    wouldnt let a 15year old pick from the kids menu -(what difference does it make?) were still paying for the food.
    didnt ask my son how he wanted his steak so it was nuked, my steak was over cooked, had to ask twice for drinks and sauces and the service was very slow.
    we complained but they just shrugged and said thats a pity.

i always thought it was expensive but usually got a good meal, very disapointed with the meal and their reaction, we wont be going back thats 12 unhappy customers.

Shelflife wrote: »
    Had a meal recently in an carraig in castlebar, big table 12 of us, used to a good meal there but were very dissapointed.
    wouldnt let a 15year old pick from the kids menu -(what difference does it make?) were still paying for the food.
    didnt ask my son how he wanted his steak so it was nuked, my steak was over cooked, had to ask twice for drinks and sauces and the service was very slow.
    we complained but they just shrugged and said thats a pity.

i always thought it was expensive but usually got a good meal, very disapointed with the meal and their reaction, we wont be going back thats 12 unhappy customers.

That place seems to have a good reputation - I was meaning to try it out some night!

Update for Ballina restaurants!
    - The chef's responsible for the fine quisine in Quorum have moved up to Brennans, haven't eaten out of either since the change.
    - Have been to The Bard a few times since, and I have to say that the service is a big let-down lately. Waiters are very slow to get around and it's impossible to order a drink, and when you do, you have to remind them to get it for you. The food is still pretty good, but I doubt I'll be going back there for a while:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 red2

The Helm on the Quay in Westport has fab pub grub. There used to be a brilliant resturant called "The lemon Peel" beside the Wyatt Hotel, Im not sure was it relocated to the Quay.I know def it was closed at some point for renovations.If its still open , its worth your while to check it out,they did a fab early bird menu.Nevins and Hotel Newport also serve great food.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

I was in An Carraig on Saturday night for my mothers birthday and the food was fantastic. Will defenitely be back again. :pac:

And Danollas in Westport do the best chips ever!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

nevf wrote: »
    If you go to Murrisk in Westport, you'll find the Tavern Bar and Restaraunt. Excellent Place. Ate there tonight, and I have to say the food was reasonably priced, excellent and friendly service. Quick food and it was delicious. Children's play area and Pool table as well.

Mango's on Bridge Street in westport is also a fine dine. haven't been there in a few months, but it is very nice...

the tavern is excellent, if you would manage the soup and a main try it as there brown bread is probably the best i have eaten.

Mango's is very good too, maybe a little on the pricey side for some fish but you can pick something else if this is an issue.

for an indian in westport, Delhi Dar Bar (i think thats the name, its beside country fresh) is the best indian food in westport. they let themselves down a lot here in the service though, if you sit down you could be waiting ages for your food and i mean ages, but from my experience it will be good (almost worth the wait). Everest on the mall is a nice restaurant but the food is poor, their chilli mascala quoted as 'very very hot' on the menu is mild at best. their korma is as hot as custard. if you are into indian food, stay away.

as for a chinese, the best i have eaten in is Changs in ballinrobe, its accross from the ulster bank. best in ireland ime but i dont eat much chinese.
    do any of the chinese's in westport have a seperate menu for the chinese people?

• Advertisement

lg123 wrote: »
    do any of the chinese's in westport have a seperate menu for the chinese people?

They'd have to - otherwise, there'd be a lot of fat chinese people waddling around!

Advertisement