Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best restaurants in the west.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

bandit197 wrote: »
    Golden Sea Chinese Restaurant in Charlestown Co. Mayo is one of the best chinese restaurants ive eaten in, and ive been to a few:D, here and abroad. Can anyone recommend a good Indian, Italian etc in the west. Cheers

Indian just down the road in Tubbercurry is very good. (New Jewel in the crown).
    Thai food in Austins (upstairs) also good.

I agree with you about the chinese in Charlestown as well, I had all but given up on getting a decent one round these parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭smurfy89

Quattros food is sh it now since the chef moved. Brennans is meant to be nice but has a tiny menu! Dillons is the nicest ive eaten in.. and have to say the staff are lovely cuz i work there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Fatboydim

I have yet to find a decent Indian restaurant in the whole of Ireland. I don't know why they are so average but they are. Then again I used to be spoilt for choice when living in London.

Chinese food in Westport - I tend to go with The Orient Aroma - But again some days it's better than others.

Ardmore House is best for that special occasion.

Sol Rio can be very good when they are on form - but it's pretty standard.

Mediterraneo is my personal fave at the moment.

Lemon Peel is good.

Best cafe type food is Antica Roma.

the Helm is best pub grub by far - but this gets busy.

the Tavern in Murrisk I used to like but I was very upset with their attitude when we had my mothers 80th there. Some of our guests wanted to order from the bar menu and they got arsey about it. Even though we offered to pay restaurant price for the food. because of this I have not been back there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Was in Al Muretto's last night, hands down one of the nicest places I've ever eaten in. Both staff and food have to be commended!

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

Culchie wrote: »
    Indian just down the road in Tubbercurry is very good. (New Jewel in the crown).
    Thai food in Austin's (upstairs) also good.

I agree with you about the chinese in Charlestown as well, I had all but given up on getting a decent one round these parts.

I was in the Indian in Tubbercurry for my birthday and it was very good food and reasonable prices (just remember to bring your own bottle of wine or beers if you want them as they dont sell any. Corkage is 2 euro if I remember correctly)

I haven't tried Austin's yet but its on the cards.

I was also in An Carraig in Castlebar for the first time last week. Perfect for that special occasion. The food is fantastic. I had the seafood and it was perfectly prepared and fresh. Its a bit pricey but the food, service and surroundings reflect that.

I was recently back in The Golden Sea in Charlestown and the quality of the food seemed to have slipped slightly. It could have been an 'off night' but i do know that the staff have been changed so Ill give it another chance again. Ill report back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

bandit197 wrote: »
    I was in the Indian in Tubbercurry for my birthday and it was very good food and reasonable prices (just remember to bring your own bottle of wine or beers if you want them as they dont sell any. Corkage is 2 euro if I remember correctly)

I haven't tried Austin's yet but its on the cards.

I was also in An Carraig in Castlebar for the first time last week. Perfect for that special occasion. The food is fantastic. I had the seafood and it was perfectly prepared and fresh. Its a bit pricey but the food, service and surroundings reflect that.

I was recently back in The Golden Sea in Charlestown and the quality of the food seemed to have slipped slightly. It could have been an 'off night' but i do know that the staff have been changed so Ill give it another chance again. Ill report back.

Seeing as you seem to be in East Mayo a bit ....also check out Lir Cafe Bar in Ballaghaderreen (don't dare tell them they are not in Mayo!) Food is good there...casual but good.

Culchie wrote: »
    Seeing as you seem to be in East Mayo a bit ....also check out Lir Cafe Bar in Ballaghaderreen (don't dare tell them they are not in Mayo!) Food is good there...casual but good.

I will do, Ive passed there before and wondered what the food was like. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Re Red2's post last September, the Lemon Peel moved to the Asgard some time ago, but are now back at Lower Quay Street.( Westport) Was there recently and found food very good and staff attentive. The owner/chef Robbie comes out to chat to the patrons which is a nice touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭steph1

Skyuser wrote: »
    Cafollas.....chips like no other.

Well you have got to be kidding me. Thats if its the Ballina caffolas that you are referring to.??

I was in there recently and got a bag of chips. A bag of bits to be exact. There must have been only about 5 or 6 decent chips in the bag.

A few weeks later I decided to give it a try again and this time the chips were worse as I think they were reheats. Why do chippers continue to do this craic giving out reheats. Things are too dear now. A bag of chips (small) costs 2.20. Freshly made chips is what we want. Not reheats :mad:

There is nowhere else to get 'real' chips. All the other places serve frozen chips.

Cafollas in Ballina has gone downhill since it changed ownership.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭shaca

ot take away from new chipper beside carrs shop on lord ed street. They were more like the old cafollas chips - really nice. Think you would have to pay me to eat in cafollas at this stage. Last time i was there I had to return my food. My 2yr old wouldnt eat his either and trust me this boy is not fussy when it comes to food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 yellowpens

Ballina is flooded with places to eat, I only like to eat in 2 places in Ballina Both can be found on the Eating Out In Ballina Page of the Ballina Site Jordans up near the bus station & Mocha Beans on the main street both always have great food and priced right IMHO!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

I used to work in Murphy Bros in Ballina - I spent about 4 months there. The guys who owned it - Alan and Paul - were dead on, but they had a horrible bully of a head chef who made life very unplesant for everyone. I was 19 and terrified of him! The food was really good and very well prepared - Im not sure how it is now but Id defo drop in if I were ever in Ballina again.

The Knockranny house Hotel - I worked there for a year. Loved Westport and the hotel is very very good. The same family own one or two of the other hotels in town as well...cant for the life of me rem the names....they cater hugely to the wedding market.

My fav places to eat - Madchefs steaks take some beating so Mastersons in Achill - plus I live just back the road :)

Cafollas in Castlebar - yum chips.

The indian restaurant on Mainstreet - Madchef took me there one night about 2 years ago. Was delicious!

Also Ferndale in Achill - whacked out presentation but very tasty!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Fatboydim

Deepsense wrote: »

The Knockranny house Hotel - I worked there for a year. Loved Westport and the hotel is very very good. The same family own one or two of the other hotels in town as well...cant for the life of me rem the names....they cater hugely to the wedding market.

That would be the Corcorans.

There's a new place in Westport that seems to offer Mexican food. [Well when I say Mexican I think it's just ribs steak and a spot of chilli sauce. Anyone tried it yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

All this talk of food is making me hungry......Cafe Rua in Castlebar is outstanding and the new premises by the courthouse is smart and clean. Staff are also friendly and attentive.

Was a fan of crockets in Ballina, however the portions are smaller and it is pricey! Brennans is good and has a busy yet chilled out atmosphere.

McCormack's in Westport do a great soup and sandwich. The chicken salad sambo is to die for.....

Gaughans in Ballina for a toasted special...pricey (€10) but good for those pick me ups days we need once in awhile.

As regards chips it can be really hit or miss in....thats why I recommend making them yourself - either thick or thin and fry them off to how you like them done. Delish.

Though the closest to homemade chips I've come across on our island is Fureys outside Enfield in Kildare/Meath. They are the real deal.....scrummy.

Was a good Indian in Ballina....its changed to the Everest now. Haven't been so can't recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

finisklin wrote: »
    ..................Brennans is good and has a busy yet chilled out atmosphere.........................

Went there recently, very impressed with the food - they have the same style wedges in sweet sauce that Quattro's used to serve:)

finisklin wrote: »
    .................Gaughans in Ballina for a toasted special...pricey (€10) but good for those pick me ups days we need once in awhile..............

How the **** do you justify a tenner for a toastie?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Went there recently, very impressed with the food - they have the same style wedges in sweet sauce that Quattro's used to serve:)

How the **** do you justify a tenner for a toastie?!

Those occasions are getting rarer and rarer as the recession bites! Seriously good though.....

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭dublin2galway

Pyramid restaurant in the Neale. Amazing food (their carpet bag must be tried. fantastic), friendly staff, well laid out and most importantly very very good value.

Don't be turned away by the exterior which suggests it's just a pub. Restaurant is a separate section and goes on out the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Maigh Eo

:)For those who are wondering where to eat in Ballina do check out Crockets on the Quay, I have eaten there three times over the past few months....YUMIE check out the chicken wings as a starter. Its a huge filler, Breannans or correctly known as Market Kitchen is FAB too, so it is often a toss up between the two but with main courses, chicken, pasta etc at 13 euro in Crockets its handy out!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 hazelhand

The Alisan in Claremorris is a good Thai restuarant, and reasonable too

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Neworder79

Dont get my hopes up, good Thai restaraunts are hard to find in Ireland! Is it a real Thai or one of those awful Chinese pretending to be thai jobs?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭ananas

I went through this whole thread and noone has mentioned Nevins in Mulranny!! It is my favourite restaurant ever, so tasty. Such a nice menu and they always have different specials on.

Oh no, now I'm starved!.:pac:

We stopped into Nevins a while back for some lunch and a pint whilst cycling the great western greenway. Lovely food, I got the salmon. It was cooked to perfection and the weather was great so we sat outdoors. If you are in the area or planning to visit the greenway inquire about Nevins. Its located roughly halfway along it so a great place for a pitstop. As far as I know they hire bikes and do B&B also!

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Gun_Slinger

Since we are on the topic of Nevins I must agree with the other posters. Brilliant food and great portions, excellent service and the place is always spotless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

Been to Nevins once and was very disappointed, heard great things but it was a total let down. I got lasagne, it tasted like it was made straight from a dolmio dinner kit a few days before and they nuked the crap out of it before I got it. The chips were standard enough, the salad had no imagination with a vinaigrette that came straight from a bottle.
    If you are a person who grades a place on the size of portion you will love it otherwise I wouldn’t bother with there.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭MeerKat17

An Port Mor in Westport is fantastic! Been there loads of times and the food is always to die for. Their location is a bit hidden though, in the alley way behind Moran's pub on bridge street, well worth a visit!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

I agree that Nevins in Tiernaur are very good. Sorry Lg123 if you were disappointed - maybe you are too fussy - e.g how can you say that a salad "has no imagination".

There are lots of cars there most nights, especially at the weekends, which speaks volumes.

The conversion of part of the old raliway line into a cycle/walking path is a great success. Hope that the budget and goodwill of owners allow an extension of this Newport to Westport, and Mulranny to Achill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

the salad, iirc was some chopped tomato and lettuce, thats lazy or no imagination in my opinion.
    nuac, maybe i am too fussy but on the flip side maybe you are too easily pleased :p

i have heard great things about this place but i was very disappointed with both meals that came to our table.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

For Indian food - Bombay Tandoori in Enniscrone. For Value and I mean the best value I have found for a long long time - Mary Anns diner Enniscrone this month they are doing a Sirloin steak (and I mean a decent size steak) and chips, salad and peppered or other source fo 13 euro - unbelievable value for anywhere in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

That is great value but them's the prices that restaurants should be charging to bring people back eating out again. Westport take note.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Achill Cliff House, Mastersons Bar and Gielties Bar are some I would recommend in Achill, Regularily eat in the Cliff House in Keel and the others are excellent for either pub grub or something a bit more filling.
    All are open year round I believe which is tough to find nowadays in Achill.

Advertisement