Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 week old external hdd fell 8inchs....

Options
  • 13-01-2008 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Iomega 500gb.

It just fell 8inchs when running. It started whirring and beeping. I turned it off and on again but its fcuked. Computer wont recognize it, not even in device manager. I whirs and beeps for about 30secs then it does nothing but stay lit.
    Any hope at all? I literally just moved all the files from my laptop to it!

Can I ask for money back or what? Not sure where it was bought from as it was an xmas pressie.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

i'd say ur fcuked without a receipt ..

u might get some files back from stickin the freezer, although it never worked for me

http://geeksaresexy.blogspot.com/2006/01/freeze-your-hard-drive-to-recover-data.html

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

ask for your money back? are you mad tbh?

you broke it, i wish i could have you logic so i could take a sledgehammer to my monitor bring it back and get a new one.

if the data was important, see company in ireland that can recover it for you

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Try and remove the hdd from the enclosure and connect directly to your comp ide/sata connector and see if you can access it. Worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭unregd147

Cremo wrote: »
    ask for your money back? are you mad tbh?

you broke it, i wish i could have you logic so i could take a sledgehammer to my monitor bring it back and get a new one.

if the data was important, see company in ireland that can recover it for you

Mad? No. Pissed off that a ******* 8 inch drop onto carpet can destroy a brand new drive is mad. How are lets say for arguments sake that it was bought in Harvey normans how would they know that I caused the damage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

unregd147 wrote: »
    Mad? No. Pissed off that a ******* 8 inch drop onto carpet can destroy a brand new drive is mad. How are lets say for arguments sake that it was bought in Harvey normans how would they know that I caused the damage?
    Nah, you've nobody to be pissed off at but yourself.

You dropped it; it broke. A hard-drive isn't built to take impacts like that, they're made of tiny, delicate parts that move very quickly and need to position themselves very precisely to work properly. Of course a 8inch fall will break it.

It was an accident, just chalk it up to experience and don't drop your next one. I doubt you'll get your money back without a receipt, but you've no right to it either way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Of course a fall would break it, probably would have been fine if it hadn't been spinning. No Chance of getting the money back.

My laptop has fallen off my bed several times whilst the drive was spinning, it didnt break, and I can gaurentee you that an 8inch drop would not brick it either. An external harddrive should be built to withstand wear and tear, and a small drop. It is an EXTERNAL hard drive you know!

Anyway ive gotten the reciept, I wonder if harveys will replace???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

Of course you can get your money back, is it morally right to do so? That's a different story.

Just go back with it and say it jsut stopped working.

Do not mention it falling or anything like that.

It is within warranty for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

I had a similar one with a seagate a year or so back. Had just got all my stuff on to it and a mate of mine plugged the laptop power supply into it and fried it. Ragin. I brought it back, said I had no idea what was wrong, and got my money back. In the time I'd had it, the price had dropped enough for me to get an extra 100 Gb for the same price. To be fair, The one I got since has had a fair few drops and hasn't wigged out yet. You're probably not entitled to it, technically, but I reckon karma won't hunt you down for it. Do it Do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Mad? No. Pissed off that a ******* 8 inch drop onto carpet can destroy a brand new drive is mad.

Why don't you be honest with yourself?

you're not "Pissed off that a ******* 8 inch drop onto carpet can destroy a brand new drive"

You're "Pissed off that" you dropped it?

Don't be "Pissed off" with the person that gave you the drive, the shop or the drive itself.

Be "Pissed off" with YOU!

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement

Why don't you be honest with yourself?

you're not "Pissed off that a ******* 8 inch drop onto carpet can destroy a brand new drive"

You're "Pissed off that" you dropped it?

Don't be "Pissed off" with the person that gave you the drive, the shop or the drive itself.

Be "Pissed off" with YOU!

-

My laptops harddrive can withstand a 2foot drop, my mp3 players 80gb and 40gb can withstand 4foot drops, but my external drive cant withstand 8inchs? dont bullsh1t me saying I should be pissed at myself, im pissed at iomega for not making the drive able to withstand the drop like all laptops and mp3harddrives could.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

My laptops harddrive can withstand a 2foot drop, my mp3 players 80gb and 40gb can withstand 4foot drops, but my external drive cant withstand 8inchs? dont bullsh1t me saying I should be pissed at myself, im pissed at iomega for not making the drive able to withstand the drop like all laptops and mp3harddrives could.

Here's a deal for you! Drop your laptop 2 feet (30cm) on my floor while the hard disk is turning and if it is still going I will give you 100 yoyos. Promise.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Laptop hard drives are also made to be more durable than desktop ones (Desktop ones are used in external hard disks hence the larger capacitys), desktop hard disks just cant take a slight drop while running, pure and simple, most times you drop a external while its running itll break, if you drop a external laptop size drive one with a smaller enclosure it may be different, as these drives are made to withstand more bumping, knocking etc... Only up to a point though ;)

Nick

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I nearly feel like ringing all the Harvey Normans to warn them if anybody tries to return a faulty external hard drive then it was the customer who broke it themselves. Soryy OP but you messed up and should take it on the chin.

delly wrote: »
    I nearly feel like ringing all the Harvey Normans to warn them if anybody tries to return a faulty external hard drive then it was the customer who broke it themselves. Soryy OP but you messed up and should take it on the chin.

Yeh that one return could cripple the Harvey Norman empire :rolleyes:

Cut the guy some slack guys. What the **** difference does it make to any of you if he goes and gets it replaced?

Stupid thing is every single one of you would try to get it replaced in the same situation.

Lose the holier than thou attitude it's laughable.

WellyJ wrote: »

Cut the guy some slack guys. What the **** difference does it make to any of you if he goes and gets it replaced?

Stupid thing is every single one of you would try to get it replaced in the same situation.

Advocating dishonesty are we? The difference it makes is that stealing like this puts the prices up so we get to pay for this form of theft!

As for the holier than thou comment...
    I dropped an external drive and it ceased top work. I took the disk out, tried it on an ide cable and the disk worked. I bought a new enclosure for 25 euros and it is still working fine a year or so later.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I'm sorry, but i happen to live my life in honest fashion. Sorry if thats a far out concept in this day and age, but this type of crap really pisses me off. It reminds of the same type of people who would knock there car door into yours in a car park and if nobody notices, sure whats the harm.

delly wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but i happen to live my life in honest fashion. Sorry if thats a far out concept in this day and age, but this type of crap really pisses me off. It remids of the same type of people who would knock there car door into yours in a car park and if nobody notices, sure whats the harm.

This is a totally different situation....

If I arrive back to my car to find a huge dent in my door I am screwed,

I need to go and fork out a few hundred Euro to get that fixed.

If you return a broken drive to Harvey Norman the salesperson takes it, tosses it in their heap of faulty produce, gives you your money back.

Probably return it to the manufacturer, and get their money back.

The manufacturer (who ships millions of these drives a year) will not even notice this.

NO ONE will notice this in their profits.

If you return a broken drive to Harvey Norman the salesperson takes it, tosses it in their heap of faulty produce, gives you your money back.

The manufacturer (who ships millions of these drives a year) will not even notice this.

Why don't you set up a screw the shop agency? You could take back all sorts of merchandise that was abused and get new stuff for the idiots who wreck their stuff.

At what point does it become immoral or dishonest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Sure in that case why not just go in to Harvey Normans and steal another one, its a big company, nobody's going to notice :rolleyes: Sure get two while you're at it, might as well have a spare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Moving to consumer issues

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Totally agree with the Take it on the chin comments - You broke it so returning it is wrong IMHO. I'm sure they'd replace it saying that, your custom is worth more to the Hard Drive manufacture then the cost of the drive.

Heinrich wrote: »
    Why don't you set up a screw the shop agency? You could take back all sorts of merchandise that was abused and get new stuff for the idiots who wreck their stuff.

At what point does it become immoral or dishonest?

If he had taken the drive out back and hit it with a sledgehammer than yeh I would say it'd dishonest and immoral to try to get a refund.

It falling was not something that he planned to happen, while it's under warranty I would get it replaced without a second thought.

If you drive the hell out of a car while it's under warranty would you decline free service to it because you know you were at fault for any problems it developed?

Of course you wouldn't.

I'm sorry you feel that way WellyJ, but if your happy enough to screw over big business because nobody gets hurt, then its your decision.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

What if as part of the RMA process the shop assistant must sign that he has checked for user damage, and when the manufacturer opens it up to check they see the damage, the shop assistant gets billed? Is it still all good then?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,155 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Believe it or not, most drives have in-built protection to 300G's of force when dropped AND parked (off).
    For example... this is for a WD 500Gb Desktop drive:

Operating (2ms) 65G
    Non-operating (2ms) 250G
    Half sine wave measured in 2 ms duration, measured without isolation.

So, if the drive had been off, you would have stood a better chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Bottom line - you dropped it, your fault.

Maybe they should put a comment on the box for future notice - "Not suitable for dropping". :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Paulw wrote: »
    Bottom line - you dropped it, your fault.

Maybe they should put a comment on the box for future notice - "Not suitable for dropping". :D

sounds like a plan :)
    have to agree with this,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

He has no receipt for it, so right or wrong, returning it isn't an option. There's pretty much nothing the OP can do at this point, bar paying lots of money for professionals to retrieve the data.

• Advertisement
Advertisement