Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows licence confusion

• 13-01-2008 9:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭

I have a four year old laptop that I am wiping and re-installing for a friend. I can't find the original Windows disc, so I am using a Windows Home CD that came with my PC. I typed in the legitimate windows product key from the sticker on the bottom of the laptop, but Windows activation is failing, saying it's an incorrect product key.

Any ideas what is going wrong here?

Just to clarify, the Windows code is accepted as valid, it only fails when it goes to the internet to active Windows.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Is the CD that you used OEM?

The hardware config has changed since he last activated it, maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    I have a four year old laptop that I am wiping and re-installing for a friend. I can't find the original Windows disc, so I am using a Windows Home CD that came with my PC. I typed in the legitimate windows product key from the sticker on the bottom of the laptop, but Windows activation is failing, saying it's an incorrect product key.

Any ideas what is going wrong here?

Just to clarify, the Windows code is accepted as valid, it only fails when it goes to the internet to active Windows.
    Automatic Activation fails when you've used it too many times.

Save some heartache and choose to phone a representative. You will generate an "installation ID" and will see 6 boxes to put in a validation code. Then call 1800 930 031 and follow instructions.

If the automated service doesn't verify windows then wait and you'll be put through to a customer service rep who will take the last 8 digits of your installation ID and will validate your install.

They'll ask questions like if you've installed windows on another machine with the same license code (No, obviously) and why are you reinstalling ("new hardware, I had to format etc).

Then they'll give you A-F and let you on your way :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I don't see why that isn't working. I did something like this recently. I installed xp on a friends packard bell using my xp disk that came with my parents dell desktop.

It worked fine but I didn't use the internet activation (I didn't have the drivers for the ethernet card and they were a bítch to get). I used the option to ring an operator for activation. Try that it might work. You get through to some robot that asks you to enter the installation id (i think thats what it called) and they give you back a confirmation code. You enter that and hit next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Karoma wrote: »
    Is the CD that you used OEM?

Hmmm, dunno. How do I find that out? The XP CD says it's for distribution with a new PC only - does that make it an OEM CD?
    Karoma wrote: »
    The hardware config has changed since he last activated it, maybe?

I've changed the hard-drive all right, but I did that over two years ago (damn HP laptops) and have had Windows successfully running since then, with the one activation code.

I'm going to try a Dell Windows XP CD I have lying around here. I know I used it to install on a different laptop, which works fine now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Hmmm, dunno. How do I find that out? The XP CD says it's for distribution with a new PC only - does that make it an OEM CD?

I've changed the hard-drive all right, but I did that over two years ago (damn HP laptops) and have had Windows successfully running since then, with the one activation code.

I'm going to try a Dell Windows XP CD I have lying around here. I know I used it to install on a different laptop, which works fine now.

It's a waste of your time really. As long as you're getting by the screen which initially asks for your key (halfway through installing) then you should be good to go. If an activation server is down (they have had their problems) then this could cause it.

Just give them a phone call - it's even freephone ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Just give them a phone call - it's even freephone ;)

Might just do that.

Advertisement