Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Irish legal car plate size

Options
  • 13-01-2008 9:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I am looking at some very nice plates frames. US dimensions.

But before placing the order I need to make sure they fit the Irish plates.
    I can't find the standard sizes of the Irish plates (The small ones, US/Japan style), do you guys know ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

unless they are exacly the size/font/colour that you see on cars here the no they are not legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I am 99% certain that "plate frames" are classed as a modification and are not legal here.

No US licence plates are as big as ours, anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I found this on Wikipedia.......
    Wikipedia wrote:
    20.5 by 4.5 inches (520 mm by either 110 or 120 mm) - Used in the bulk of the European countries and many of their former overseas territories.

Source

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Also this from the NCT Testers Handbook

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

Stekelly wrote: »
    unless they are exacly the size/font/colour that you see on cars here the no they are not legal.

I am talking about the frame, not the late itself.

• Advertisement

Alun wrote: »
    Also this from the NCT Testers Handbook

Perfect thanks buddy

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

mick.fr wrote: »
    I am talking about the frame, not the late itself.

I copped that after tbh. I was going by the title. But either way, as above, the US plates arent the same dimensions so wouldnt fit.

This is the mod I would like to add to my car.
    But the Irish plate has to fit, so I am calculating atm :-)

Arf, US plates are smaller. The frame would be too small for an Irish plate. Too bad. Would have been a nice mod.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

MYOB wrote: »
    I am 99% certain that "plate frames" are classed as a modification and are not legal here.

No US licence plates are as big as ours, anyway.

Some modifications are allowed. Plate frames and baby on board stickers. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

US plates are more like Jap plates, no? There are several different sizes for Jap plates. A decent motor factors would be able to tell you what they are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

US plates are slightly smaller than Jap plates I think. I could be wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,289 ✭✭✭✭Esel

If the mounting area for the plates will not take the normal size plates (regular oblong or Japanese rectangular two-line type) you are allowed to reduce the dimensions of the plate and the character sizes accordingly to fit.

Not your ornery onager

esel wrote: »
    If the mounting area for the plates will not take the normal size plates (regular oblong or Japanese rectangular two-line type) you are allowed to reduce the dimensions of the plate and the character sizes accordingly to fit.

Ah interesting.
    A US plate has the following dimensions:
    311mm x 160mm

EU plate is:
    340mm x 220mm

So you are saying I could make a new plate to match the US size, then a US frame like show on the eBay link would fit. And this would be legal?

^ All depends on the mounting area on the car in question. If the car has space to take regular-sized plates, you must use them, afaik. For instance, some Japanese imports have different size recesses than others - this is when you are allowed to 'shrink to fit'.

I am going from memory of reading the relevant Statutory Instrument a good while ago. You will find it on www.revenue.ie I'd say.

Not your ornery onager

See section 20 of http://www.revenue.ie/publications/legisltn/car_id.pdf

Not saying this is the latest SI, it is just one I found on the Revenue site just now when I searched for Registration plate size.

Quote below:

20. In the case of a vehicle which is provided with an indented space to accommodate a registration plate and the size of the space is such that it can accommodate neither a plate of the dimensions prescribed in paragraph 16 (a) of this Schedule nor a plate of the dimensions prescribed in paragraph 17(a) of this Schedule, the dimensions prescribed in paragraphs 5, 10, 11, 13, 14, 15, 16 or 17 of this Schedule may be reduced provided that the dimensions as so reduced comply as nearly as possible with the dimensions so prescribed.

Not your ornery onager

Yeah ok so you should comply if your car can comply or get the size as close as possible if you car does not comply.
    My car has US plates mounts so I might be able to get away from it and install US plates frames with a custom reduced Irish plates.

Thank you for your help guys.

Advertisement