Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Your favourite Pink Floyd album

• 13-01-2008 10:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭

I no this has probably been done a million times but I'd like to see if there is an overall favourite

Its hard to overlook Dark side but its Wish you Were Here for me.

Main Albums 59 votes

The Piper at the Gates of Dawn
    0% 0 votes
    A Saucerful More Secrets
    6% 4 votes
    More
    3% 2 votes
    Ummagumma
    0% 0 votes
    Atom Heart Mother
    3% 2 votes
    Meddle
    0% 0 votes
    Obscured by Clouds
    6% 4 votes
    The Dark Side of the Moon
    0% 0 votes
    Wish you Were Here
    38% 23 votes
    The Wall
    20% 12 votes
    The Final Cut
    10% 6 votes
    A Momentary Lapse of Reason
    1% 1 vote
    Delicate Sound of Thunder
    0% 0 votes
    The Division Bell
    1% 1 vote
    Tonite Let's All Make Love in London
    6% 4 votes
    Pulse
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

The Division Bell.

Have a soft spot for this album as it reminds me of a time in my life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

I always loved Echoes but I don't know if you could call it an album, strictly speaking.
    What exactly would you call it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

Wheres animals ?

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Fallen Seraph

I voted for Ummagumma, but I really feel that Atom Heart Mother deserves an honourable mention. I really love the whole rock symphony thing that they both have going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Trip Hazard

Only recently I got into Pink Floyd I only have 3 albums as if yet, but i have to vote for Wish you were here, its such a brilliant album, Shine on is one of my favorite guitar songs ever!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

armour87 wrote: »
    Its hard to overlook Dark side but its Wish you Were Here for me.
    I can never make the choice between DSOTM or WYWH.
    I always loved Echoes but I don't know if you could call it an album
    They left out on of their best tracks - Brain Damage! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭armour87

mathias wrote: »
    Wheres animals ?

My bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

I am completely torn here, however had to sit on the fence somewhat and vote Ummagumma. The live album alone catches Floyd at their best! with Saucerful of Secrets, Careful with that axe Eugene, Set the controls for the heart of the sun, and a blinding version of Astronomy Dominie. The studio part of the albums has it highlights too, in Particular David Gilmour's quarter. I think Post syd-Pre Dark side, is the best period of Floyd, with tons of experimentation and they develop their super space out sound that influenced zillions across the globe. Actually its not a choice here but the live at Pompeii DVD really captures what I'm on about.

Other notables are Saucerful of Secrets, the big floyd sound in embryonic form plus some nice tracks written by Rick Wright who never really followed up on his writing skills later. Atom Heart Mother with some great stuff on the B-side, fat old sun, summer of 69, etc, and Meddle for the brilliant 'Echoes'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Meddle obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Damn the lack of multiple choice. I like The Division Bell, The Dark Side of the Moon and Wish You Were Here equally.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

John wrote: »
    Meddle obviously.

Thanks, for some reason I was calling Meddle, Echoes, God knows why
    I think Meddle's class too but I wasn't sure if it was classified as an album as there's only 6 tracks on it.

John wrote: »
    Meddle obviously.

Damn you!

Its that sort of thing which makes this question so difficult!

Great album.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Its gotta be dark side of the moon for me, ever since one candle lit evening with that album and a gorgeous chick...the heartbeats at the start of it still take me back. Legend album. One of the all time best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Thanks, for some reason I was calling Meddle, Echoes, God knows why
    I was wondering why you nominated a compilation album (but didn't want to say so!)

Please ignore the second half of of my post above. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Piper at the Gates of Dawn for me. Syd Barrett was a genius. As for post-Syd Floyd, I have to agree that the Live in Pompeii era was great(I love that DVD). I don't really like Dark Side of the Moon on the whole though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I think Meddle's class too but I wasn't sure if it was classified as an album as there's only 6 tracks on it.

Well one of the tracks does last well over 20 minutes (and takes up an entire side of the album on vinyl).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

I'll be going for The Dark Side of the Moon today ladies and gentlemen.

would of picked Animals if it was there:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

damonjewel wrote: »
    I am completely torn here, however had to sit on the fence somewhat and vote Ummagumma. The live album alone catches Floyd at their best! with Saucerful of Secrets, Careful with that axe Eugene, Set the controls for the heart of the sun, and a blinding version of Astronomy Dominie. The studio part of the albums has it highlights too, in Particular David Gilmour's quarter. I think Post syd-Pre Dark side, is the best period of Floyd, with tons of experimentation and they develop their super space out sound that influenced zillions across the globe. Actually its not a choice here but the live at Pompeii DVD really captures what I'm on about.

I think you pretty much nailed it there. It was when they were at their most creative and experimental, before the band became an ego **** for roger waters. I actually think their most boring albums were everything post dark side. Dark side is a great album but its when they began to move away from ground breaking **** like you see in live at pompeii and more into the radio friendly stuff.
    Actually i saw a video for comfortably numb the other week and it was actually cringe worthy. Mustve been filmed in the 80's, dave gilmour is wearing a shoulder padded suit straight out of 80's hell, and the crowd are all bleached blonde bimbos with bouffant hair or jocks in wife beater vests punching the air...it made me embarrassed for them it really did.
    I think the ultimate floyd experience is in echoes part 1 on live at pompeii, when the breakdown happens after about 6 mins, and the camera pans around the band and the 'PINK FLOYD LONDON' amps...its un-****ing-believeable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Kess73 wrote: »
    The Division Bell.

Have a soft spot for this album as it reminds me of a time in my life.

^^^^^^^^^^

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Caveat

IMO there are only 3 real contenders: DSOTM, WYWH and The Wall.

I would say DSOTM but will get sick of it in a while (again) and probably revert to the other 2 ...and then come back to DSOTM again...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

Meddle gets me vote.

IMO, there hasn't been a Floyd album since The Final Cut. Waters' Amused to Death album would have got my vote, but I guess it doesn't qualify in this poll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

Actually maybe I should have voted for Wish You Were Here?..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Toss a coin and its come down..............................................................Wish You Were Here. (the other side had Dark Side/Meddle/Wall/Piper on it! :p)

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

Meddle for me too. Only six tracks, but every one a stone cold classic, and all completely different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

Eventually went for Dark Side. I certainly lean toward earlier Floyd, if the poll was on Floyd compilations I go for Relics, but the albums are too inconsistent although by Meddle this had almost been resolved. Careful with that axe Eugene is my favorite track and Atom Heart Mother was the album that I first fell in love with but they were all messy, which could be glorious, but DSOTM showed what they could achieve once they ditched all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Pulse, its a pity Roger Waters wass missing but its still brilliant. And it has all of Dark Side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prezatch

I too would have picked Animals if it was there. Otherwise, The Wall.

Bumped for boardies who missed this.

Having said WYWH originally, il stick with it but Ummagumma is coming close!

Madness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Wish you were here
    Animals
    Dark side of the moon

Advertisement