Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Albufeira for a fabulous working summer?

Options
  • 13-01-2008 10:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Hi all, was just wondering is Albufeira any good for going over for the summer and picking up bar work for 19/20 year olds? The parents just got an appt. there so I'm wondering if there would be a good young and lively scene, or is it more for geriatrics?? :)
    Anyone been there? Or gone there for the summer? What do other people think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Moved to Abroad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 only_me

I don't intend on moving there, I'm only thinking of going for a couple of months, and it will be a holiday. I don't really think moving this post to 'Abroad' is suitable.

"This forum is not for Travel & Holidays

Due to an influx of threads about holidays, I feel I should remind you that this forum is for people who're living abroad or who're going to be moving abroad. The Travel & Holiday forum is for all your questions about your short trip to wherever (that includes J1 info).

Cheers,

Faith."

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

only_me, I see where you're coming from and I had the same reservations when the thread was moved over. However, I've discussed it with BuffyBot and he rightly pointed out that you're more likely to find useful information about working here, rather than in Travel & Holidays. In T&H, most people will just have visited on a two-week package holiday, whereas here people might know more about finding jobs.

This is what Wikipedia has to say:
    The nightlife on "The Strip", located near the Montechoro section of Albufeira, proves especially popular during the summer with all ages but particularly the younger tourists. Going down "The Strip", the most popular bars include Erin's Isle, Linekers, Cafe Del Mar, Mustang, BJ's, Garage, Reno's, La Bamba, and Wild & Co. There is also an extremely popular nightclub - Kiss. Kadoc, located around 7 miles away between Albufeira and Vilamoura near the town of Boliqueme, is another very popular nightclub.

Most places like that will be full of young tourists over the summer, all looking to have a good time. Particularly at night, the town and bars will be full of young people. Older people are likely to shy away from that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 only_me

Oh fair point!! Thanks very much for the help!!! :):):)

• Advertisement

Also, I'd say that if you start looking early enough, you should be able to find bar work fairly easily. If your parents just bought an apartment there, surely you'll visit before the summer? Go around to the bars then, when it's quiet, and ask what the situation is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 seodave

oldish thread i know but just seen it now. How did you get on with this? My family owns a place over there and I'm doing the whole working holiday thing too. Heading on wed for 9 months and really looking forward to it. Ive been over about 5 times with friends/family and it is a very lively place 100% suited for young people. I'd recommend it. Who can argue with 30 cent bottles of beer...

If any one is heading over there for summer, season etc. by the way and is interested in meeting up with people on the gound get in touch.

Advertisement