Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Micra K10?

Options
  • 13-01-2008 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭

Need to get a car earlier than expected so my MR2 Mk1 dreams have been put on hold for the mo.
    Anyway, im pretty sure these are solid assuming I get a well looked after one, but just making sure.

Will prob only keep it for a max of 2 years and I'd go for an early 90's one.
    Any issues I've not seen? Apart from lack of power and the looks (Dont think they look that bad myself)

Would it be as good as a starlet from the same era?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

They are a great little car if all you want is to get you from A to B.
    Only major issues with them that I found was that the clips holding in the pipes on the rad kept piercing the hoses so I got better ones put in and they were fine. The only other thing is that they are an ideal car for any joyrider to rob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=510561

Not a bad little bus should see ya till atleast 2013 with proper care.

-VB-

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Exact one I was looking at VolvoBoy! Ill ring tomorrow and see waht the story is with the NCT. Seeing as its a dealer If I asked him could he guarantee an NCT pass and it didnt I'd have some sort of recourse correct?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

I currently have one (1990), great little car they are too.

Very easy to maintain and quite reliable, however, be very wary of any with over 100,000 miles on them, as the valve seals in the cylinder head tend to wear out prematurely (engine design fault), leading to excessive oil consumption and terrible fuel economy.

Make sure you put a big chain around the steering wheel at night, as they are a target with joyriders (mine has been broken into (but not stolen thankfully) 4 times already over the past couple of years).

Thankfully I live down a quiet road in the country so im protected from that kind of carry on usually! but some sort of immobiliser like a steering lock would be handy?

Thanks for all the info guys btw, its much better to see this kind of info posted "live", rather than just reading reviews etc.

• Advertisement

I made an immobiliser for mine, consisting of a switch hidden under the dashboard that cuts off power from the ignition barrel to the starter motor. Quite effective too!

Those Autolok things that go around the gear knob and onto the handbrake are useless, as the gear knob can be screwed off. Your best bet would be the chain around the steering wheel. Can't beat them.

Also, don't be put of if sometimes you start it and there is a loud 'grinding' noise coming from the starter motor. This was also another design fault, as the starter motor sometimes doesn't engage the flywheel, hence the noise. It doesn't cause any damage to the starter motor or flywheel as far as I can see.

Chain it is then! One more thing with regards NCT, seeing as it is overdue how do I go about moving it?

I've done a quick search and it appears the guards dont seem to mind much as long as you have tax/insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭beatman91

Soft gearboxes.

The k11 have a chain so no timing belt, get the newer one for that reason.

I've had 3 of them and like said before joyriders love them but they are a great little car and would always recommend it.

Hate the K11 and K12 lookswise unfortunatley...

That one on carzone was snapped up too, thought as much.

Does €650 for a 92', 85k, NCT 09, 3 months tax, rust-free, 5 new tyres, heater/elec's all working from a dealer sound ok?

A bit more expensive but that carzone ad had contradicting info regarding NCT (said it was just up, when the disc said it expired 05/07)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

If it has nct till 09 and in good order, then €650 isn't bad, especially if they knock off a few quid.
    Agreed with the K10 looking better than the K11, but my second car was a K11, i was driving up and down to belfast 2-3 times a week and i needed something that wouldn't let me down, and in the year i had it, it never failed me.
    The K10's lack of power steering is the only let down, but if you can live with that, their a good and easily maintained car.

• Advertisement

Ya, I've just got a Haynes manual on ebay for peanuts so Im going to have a go doing all the basic bits and pieces as I've no real experience with car maintenance.

I'll take her for a spin anyway and see what I think!

Senna wrote: »
    The K10's lack of power steering is the only let down, but if you can live with that, their a good and easily maintained car.

It's not like driving a bus. :rolleyes: The steering is very light on them.

Anyway, the JDM model Nissan March had power steering and air-con as well as an option. European and Canadian models didn't.

Advertisement