Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vista and a new computer.

• 14-01-2008 12:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭

I just shelled out a small fortune for a new computer and I had no choice but to get vista with it. Fair enough I thought I'll just put xp onto the new computer. But now my receipt says that one of the specs that I have bought is vista only. (Enhanced Integrated audio software for VISTA ONLY) is what it says!

Does this mean that if I try to load on my xp profesional that there will be conflicts? And after some research I have found that adobe software is mainly not compliant with vista. I feel stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Can I safely put vista away and install my xp, or will I have to / or even can I change my (Enhanced Integrated audio software). Tis a pain, I don't want vista as I am a multimedia student and use lots of adobe software. Any opinions or experience on this please? Thanks.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Install XP, it will work fine, that vista only audio is BS to keep you on Vista...

If you have any problems post back here or in the Computers & Technology Forum and somebody will help :)

Post the specs / make / model of your PC here and I will find the drivers you need

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

conzymaher wrote: »
    Install XP, it will work fine, that vista only audio is BS to keep you on Vista...

If you have any problems post back here or in the Computers & Technology Forum and somebody will help :)

Post the specs / make / model of your PC here and I will find the drivers you need
    I kind of thought that alright as it was only mentioned after the purchase and the fact that they almost shout it out that it is for VISTA ONLY seems daft.

Thanks for the feedback. So if I punch in my xp over the vista I shouldn't have a problem then? Heres hoping. Everyone that I know that bought a computer with vista is having problems, how wrong is that!

Thanks again, feeling more confident now about the new system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

that vista only audio is BS to keep you on Vista...

Actually this is kind of true , the way the OS handles sound was completely overhauled in Vista , and on release most creative audigy cards did not work , they still only have basic functionality in Vista , the new cards are made for Vista and have no such issues. So that warning may well be correct.
    I have come across some laptops where xp device drivers were very very hard to find ... I recommend you post the driver list and see if everything is available before going to XP.
    adobe software is mainly not compliant with vista

I use photoshop CS2 and it has no issues , dont know about any other adobe software , I think the only other piece of software from them I would use would be acrobat , and never had an issue there either.

mathias wrote: »
    Actually this is kind of true , the way the OS handles sound was completely overhauled in Vista , and on release most creative audigy cards did not work , they still only have basic functionality in Vista , the new cards are made for Vista and have no such issues. So that warning may well be correct.
    I have come across some laptops where xp device drivers were very very hard to find ... I recommend you post the driver list and see if everything is available before going to XP.

I use photoshop CS2 and it has no issues , dont know about any other adobe software , I think the only other piece of software from them I would use would be acrobat , and never had an issue there either.
    Lordy lordy, vista sounds like a headache, and I feel like I am kind of stuck with it. I will use my old reliable system for production for the time being and hope that my new computer (which is tied to vista) will eventually resolve said problems through patches and so on.

Why didn't I just do my research first and not go for the bargain I don't know. I just want a system that works and xp did that really well. Damn you vista.

Just get your new computer online and download all the available updates , Im using Vista at the moment and its not at all bad , I have no outstanding issues with it at all ,

There are a couple of major updates you should make sure you have , including the performance , compatibility and reliability updates , just go online and get them all and you should be fine.

• Advertisement

Cheers for the advice, I will do that and hopefully all will be well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

If you are running a creative Audigy, grab the KX Audio drivers TBH the creative ones pale in comparision anyway, but they offer full functionality for vista too. Ive tried both creatives and KX drivers over the years and gone KX every time. You have a great deal of control and flexibility with them as well as debateably better sound.

Id be interested to hear what was specified as "vista only". Chances are if you go to the actual chip (or chipset) manufacturer's website, you will be able to get drivers that will work with XP. Assuming you want to go that way.

Given a choice between vista and XP, I would still vote XP first. On the same hardware, XP is generally more responsive and is less "quirky". If I didn't have to familarise myself with Vista, I probably wouldn't be using it.

Its not TERRIBLY bad, and much better since RTM but again id choose XP unless I was being absolutley forced to use Vista.

If the concenus amongst your multimedia peers is to go with XP, and they seem like they have a somewhat balanced view (IE not just outright Vista bashing), then thats what I would go for. At least until you want to address more than 4GB RAM (actually less than that if you want to be pedantic) :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I have been stuck with Vista on my new laptop since I bought it. My main problem was that I only got one gig of ram with the laptop so Vista just chugs along so slowly it makes me cry. I have a HP DV series laptop, and decided one night before leaving Ireland that I would actually quite like to have a pc that ... you know ... works, so I decided to go for a dual boot with a pre-installed vista OS and my good old copy of XP. My thinkin at the time, and still is now, is that I am gonna get more ram for my laptop, and I dont want to just uninstall vista because, you know, SP1 might fix it and its wave of the future and all that crap. It turns out, incidentally, that SP1 for Vista is not quite the diamond people were praying for because Microsoft's view is that when Vista was released, it was pretty much finished software, which was not the case with XP. However its release will result in most major companies moving on from XP to Vista this year, so it is a demon we are stuck with. Both of the Auditing firms I have worked techie support for in the past few months are implementing Vista transition plans.

I got quite far with my dualboot, thanks to VistaBootPro and tenacity but in the end, the logical partitioning software I used failed me when I asked it very nicely for a 10gb (thats all, not too much to ask) partition to put XP in. I then went with Vista's own tools for a partition and could only reclaim 5gb for my XP partition. Well I knew at that stage that I couldnt really fit XP and a paging file into my 5gb partition, but I still went ahead and got the dualboot up and running, just in case Partitioning software for Vista that works shows up (it since has). So I got the dualboot going, XP ran like a frigging dream. My main issue was getting XP compatible drivers for things like the laptop buttons, the wireless card and sound card and little things like that. I just trial ran a number of HP drivers from different products to my own and got a masterlist of what worked with what and everything actually came together, making my pc faster, better and great in bed. Vista still chugged along at a snails pace, but I was delighted. 6 hours odd of work to get XP on there, its 4am, I know as soon as I turn it off I will never see XP again cos of the crappy 5gb partition, so I played some counterstrike, then as soon as the paging file hit max, continual mem errors and the next time I restarted it wouldnt boot into XP. I still have ambitions to get XP back on my laptop, but at the moment I am stuck. I have a valid product key which is great, but I have no valid XP home CD because its in a drawer in my parents house 10,008 miles away. Since installing and then quickly removing XP I have yearned for it like a voyaging pirate yearns for the cold embrace of a disinterested hooker. So I guess the point to all this long winded **** is Vista is coming. Its like the 2nd Iraq war, U have to get on board. But you can always have XP on the side, even on the same PC, and just not mention to Vista that you are cheating on it with an older, easier, sluttier OS. Of course after service Pack one gives Vista a nice boob job, you might go back to it, and maybe even make love to it once or twice, but you will always be thinking about that older slut XP, lying on her back, waiting for you, firing ping pong balls clear across the room and screaming your name with her cool SP2 shaved Pubes.

If you are running a creative Audigy, grab the KX Audio drivers TBH the creative ones pale in comparision anyway, but they offer full functionality for vista too. Ive tried both creatives and KX drivers over the years and gone KX every time. You have a great deal of control and flexibility with them as well as debateably better sound.

Id be interested to hear what was specified as "vista only". Chances are if you go to the actual chip (or chipset) manufacturer's website, you will be able to get drivers that will work with XP. Assuming you want to go that way.

Given a choice between vista and XP, I would still vote XP first. On the same hardware, XP is generally more responsive and is less "quirky". If I didn't have to familarise myself with Vista, I probably wouldn't be using it.

Its not TERRIBLY bad, and much better since RTM but again id choose XP unless I was being absolutley forced to use Vista.

If the concenus amongst your multimedia peers is to go with XP, and they seem like they have a somewhat balanced view (IE not just outright Vista bashing), then thats what I would go for. At least until you want to address more than 4GB RAM (actually less than that if you want to be pedantic) :)
    Aye tis Sound Blaster Audigy software alright. I won't mess with it at this early stage as I am no expert. Although these KX drivers that you mention sound interesting, can I just download and install them without doing anything to technical?

I'm fairly glamoured by the new operating system at the moment, *it's soooo pretty. Seriously though it looks fantastic, robbed from apple so I've heard. I suppose the widescreen 19" flat panel helps towards the new found wide eyed 'appreciation'. When the problems with loading up my favourite adobe software begins then I might not be so happy. So far I mostly be having problems with not being able to load on 'Ccleaner'.

I'm working on keeping both systems and OS's working seperately in the best way possible.

I have been stuck with Vista on my new laptop since I bought it. My main problem was that I only got one gig of ram with the laptop so Vista just chugs along so slowly it makes me cry. I have a HP DV series laptop, and decided one night before leaving Ireland that I would actually quite like to have a pc that ... you know ... works, so I decided to go for a dual boot with a pre-installed vista OS and my good old copy of XP. My thinkin at the time, and still is now, is that I am gonna get more ram for my laptop, and I dont want to just uninstall vista because, you know, SP1 might fix it and its wave of the future and all that crap. It turns out, incidentally, that SP1 for Vista is not quite the diamond people were praying for because Microsoft's view is that when Vista was released, it was pretty much finished software, which was not the case with XP. However its release will result in most major companies moving on from XP to Vista this year, so it is a demon we are stuck with. Both of the Auditing firms I have worked techie support for in the past few months are implementing Vista transition plans.

I got quite far with my dualboot, thanks to VistaBootPro and tenacity but in the end, the logical partitioning software I used failed me when I asked it very nicely for a 10gb (thats all, not too much to ask) partition to put XP in. I then went with Vista's own tools for a partition and could only reclaim 5gb for my XP partition. Well I knew at that stage that I couldnt really fit XP and a paging file into my 5gb partition, but I still went ahead and got the dualboot up and running, just in case Partitioning software for Vista that works shows up (it since has). So I got the dualboot going, XP ran like a frigging dream. My main issue was getting XP compatible drivers for things like the laptop buttons, the wireless card and sound card and little things like that. I just trial ran a number of HP drivers from different products to my own and got a masterlist of what worked with what and everything actually came together, making my pc faster, better and great in bed. Vista still chugged along at a snails pace, but I was delighted. 6 hours odd of work to get XP on there, its 4am, I know as soon as I turn it off I will never see XP again cos of the crappy 5gb partition, so I played some counterstrike, then as soon as the paging file hit max, continual mem errors and the next time I restarted it wouldnt boot into XP. I still have ambitions to get XP back on my laptop, but at the moment I am stuck. I have a valid product key which is great, but I have no valid XP home CD because its in a drawer in my parents house 10,008 miles away. Since installing and then quickly removing XP I have yearned for it like a voyaging pirate yearns for the cold embrace of a disinterested hooker. So I guess the point to all this long winded **** is Vista is coming. Its like the 2nd Iraq war, U have to get on board. But you can always have XP on the side, even on the same PC, and just not mention to Vista that you are cheating on it with an older, easier, sluttier OS. Of course after service Pack one gives Vista a nice boob job, you might go back to it, and maybe even make love to it once or twice, but you will always be thinking about that older slut XP, lying on her back, waiting for you, firing ping pong balls clear across the room and screaming your name with her cool SP2 shaved Pubes.
    I think you emphasise my feelings very well. I am keeping my little whore safely installed on my 'old' computer and she still does all those things that my new mistress potentially won't do. I considered a dual boot and found a nice tutorial and trouble shooter tutorial to do just that (apparently vista can't take it and needs to be repaired via the CD later which is apparently 'simple' but at the end of the day I feel the two should be kept seperate.

I'm considering creating a simple network between the two, that's if they will talk to each other in technical terms i.e. Run dual monitors in vista with the option to access the other pc over the new 'home network'. That's the ambition anyway it sounds plausible but inevitably there may be complications.

Any thoughts on this?

Ps where the hell is the 1Gb of ram going on running this vista beast, i find that incredible.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

My main thoughts would be "Good luck!" It sounds like a potential minefield to me. But then it is XP vs. Vista so at worst it may take a few tweaks and nights of hairpulling. It's actually a pretty eloquent solution on paper. I tried to network my laptop (Vista) with my girlfriends (XP) to share out a USB based modem with only one USB output and could never get the thing up and running. But having said that I have also failed trying much simpler things so my abilities in the field are not that great. I'm still waiting for some decent Vista guidance or MS tutorials to really be able to troubleshoot it.

The 1GB of ram registers 50% usage (or above) whilst idling on Vista. It always has done. I have tried to streamline this but with little success. That 6 hours I had XP working man, those were six sweet hours. We danced over rainbows and moonlit glades we did, hand in hand waltzing with animated animals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭M450

sweet sweet poetry... ;)

I jus got a new laptop too, tried my best to get XP but ended up wit Vista in the end. I'm almost used to it now... disabled User Account Control n all that BS!
    It runs nice and smoothly with 2gigs RAM, It seems the salesman was accurate for once!
    And after some research I have found that adobe software is mainly not compliant with vista.
    So far I mostly be having problems with not being able to load on 'Ccleaner'.
    I'm running Adobe Photoshop Elements/Acrobat and CCleaner without any problemos...

It's been long enough now for companies to release Vista compatible versions of their software!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

Tis a pain, I don't want vista as I am a multimedia student and use lots of adobe software. Any opinions or experience on this please? Thanks.
    All of your Adobe software will work without a problem in Vista, and if you spent a decent sum of cash on the laptop then Vista will run fast and reliably.

Personally I wouldn't buy into the Vista Sucks hype, because it doesn't. I'm a year into using it as my primary OS and I love it. It's a joy to use, particularly for multimedia production such as photo or video editing. Give it a chance...

Lodgepole wrote: »
    All of your Adobe software will work without a problem in Vista, and if you spent a decent sum of cash on the laptop then Vista will run fast and reliably.

Personally I wouldn't buy into the Vista Sucks hype, because it doesn't. I'm a year into using it as my primary OS and I love it. It's a joy to use, particularly for multimedia production such as photo or video editing. Give it a chance...
    I haven't had any major problems as yet to be honest, but I haven't really put it to the test as yet. I am still using my old computer with xp professional with reliable programs etc for projects that I can't afford to test to much.

Although the other night I had problems with reading images and word docs between the two and lost some valuable work. Vista comes with Microsoft works and this corrupted when moved from 'Vista Microsoft works' to 'xp word' and back (it encoded the file at first, but then after awhile decided that the document would not work). Plus there was some corruption of images in the transfer as well(the images were modified in photoshop and most could not be read and used in vista). The corruption was enough to make the modified document unreadable on both formats and I lost a couple of hours work.

Lesson learned: Work on one OS only for completion of a project or assignment. I'll update any other problems experienced but personally I don't feel a lot of trust working between the two.

Ps, the adobe software? I heard that you need fairly new versions to work on Vista, ie If I load up photoshop 6, 7 etc they won't work, so there are issues with compatibility on older versions?

Vista comes with Microsoft works and this corrupted when moved from 'Vista Microsoft works' to 'xp word' and back (it encoded the file at first, but then after awhile decided that the document would not work). Plus there was some corruption of images in the transfer as well(the images were modified in photoshop and most could not be read and used in vista). The corruption was enough to make the modified document unreadable on both formats and I lost a couple of hours work.

Vista does not come with works , your laptop may have come with works , but Vista doesnt ,
    Transferring files between works and word , changing them back and forth like you describe , is madness , and is bound to lead to corruption. Better to get an app that can open the file without changing it at all dont you think.

Download openoffice , it will handle all Microsoft office formats better than works ever could or will.

http://www.openoffice.org/

Its totally free as well .... It will open Word , Excel , powerpoint , without any problems whatsoever.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Lots of wordy replies that I cba reading :P

But, If you like Vista then good for you, use it. But, I hated it, I loved it for a few weeks until the "ooooh shiny" factor wore away, then I realized it took twice as long to do everything in Vista as it did in XP, I had to get an upgrade to 3ds Max to make it work, and most other apps had to be run in compatibility mode and the final straw was getting "memory low" errors in After Effects with 2 gigs of ram :/

Vista is a terrible OS for production imo, Stick to XP

mathias wrote: »
    Vista does not come with works , your laptop may have come with works , but Vista doesnt ,
    Transferring files between works and word , changing them back and forth like you describe , is madness , and is bound to lead to corruption. Better to get an app that can open the file without changing it at all dont you think.

Download openoffice , it will handle all Microsoft office formats better than works ever could or will.

http://www.openoffice.org/

Its totally free as well .... It will open Word , Excel , powerpoint , without any problems whatsoever.
    Cheers, It's microsoft works alright I just checked. Open office might come in handy though.

conzymaher wrote: »
    Lots of wordy replies that I cba reading :P

But, If you like Vista then good for you, use it. But, I hated it, I loved it for a few weeks until the "ooooh shiny" factor wore away, then I realized it took twice as long to do everything in Vista as it did in XP, I had to get an upgrade to 3ds Max to make it work, and most other apps had to be run in compatibility mode and the final straw was getting "memory low" errors in After Effects with 2 gigs of ram :/

Vista is a terrible OS for production imo, Stick to XP
    How do you use compatibility mode I think I'll need to do that at some stage? Plus the amount of RAM that this OS uses is madness alright where does the 1Gig go to run it for christs sake!

Ps: update, another problem that comes up is: my printer wont work with vista even after using the CD that came with it. Apparently there is a workaround but screw that I just plugged it back into my good old xp prof and had no probs.

Advertisement