Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Broadband speed increase?

Options
  • 14-01-2008 12:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks
    I read on the forums here ages ago that Irish broadband increased speeds from 1 to 2 MB with no price increase and i was wondering if the system they use is capable of more speed increases if they upgrade or are they just going to stick with the current speeds they "advertise"(as i know people are going to comment that they don't even get the advertised speeds as it is!)
    Just wondering about it as surely if other ISP's increase speeds IBB(or Digiweb) would have to keep up or is this it now in Ireland for fixed wireless?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Bros123

I'l take that as a no so!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Bros123

Well with the news from eircom I thought I would drag this up again to see if anyone knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

See other thread re: Digiweb speeds. Upgraded to 10Mbps last september. Also higher speed buisness systems available.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭gingerGiant

Irish Broadband's Alvarion equipment which they use for their Breeze service is capable of 4MB for sure, and possibly more so yes they can upgrade further.

It would be very shortsighted of any operator to purchase expensive equipment like that without it being somewhat futureproof with regard it's maximum speed capability so i would expect that it can be upgraded quite a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

I was a customer of IBB's the last time there were speed upgrades and it had absolutely no impact on my connection. An overloaded network didn't magically fix itself just because the web site claimed different speeds.

My hunch is that the wireless guys will have serious difficulty matching eircom's speeds. At least eircom is forcing them to do something.

• Advertisement
Advertisement