Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much does streaming affect download limit?

Options
  • 14-01-2008 1:24am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I went from an unlimited broadback package with Virgin to to limit of 40GB with Sky, so I keep forgetting about the limit. Normally I don't download much, but I've recently been watching loads of videos on websites like YouTube and Veoh. Do these have the same impact on usage caps as downloading does? For example, if I watch a 45 minute show on Veoh TV, would it be the same as just downloading it? I really don't want to go over my limit!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

YouTube,etc. compress (already compressed) videos so you save some bandwidth compared to downloading the source video file. You could download the YouTube file to your hard disk and it'd be the same thing as streaming it.
    Presumably Sky give you a means of checking your usage?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

No, they don't. Their terms and conditions state:
    How can I manage my usage?

There are a number of ways to manage your usage, however the most effective is to keep your use of file sharing software (including peer-to-peer) and uploading and downloading of very large files reasonable. You should also only the e-mail accounts for e-mail purposes and not, for example, for as a storage facility.

I've just downloaded BitMeter though, so I can keep an eye on it now. It's not something I want to actively have to keep an eye on though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

DUMeter, google it. it helps you keep track of how much your download per month,day, hour. And it logs it all as well, free to try.

Advertisement