Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next Irish President

Options
  • 14-01-2008 1:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭

I know its some way off but just wondering who people think or would like to see be the next Irish president, here is a list of potential candidates:

Bertie Ahern
    Eamon Ryan
    Ivana Bacik
    Mairead McGuinness
    Michael D.Higgins
    David Norris
    Brian Crowley
    Trevor Sargent
    Mary O’Rourke
    Paul Hewson (Bono)
    Marian Harkin
    John Bruton
    Mary Davis
    Martin McAleese
    Liz McManus
    Maura Geoghegan Quinn
    Albert Reynolds
    Seamus Heaney
    Alan Dukes

I would like to see Bono or Alan Dukes be the next president, I think Dukes will be the President.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i think seamus heaney would be cool, at least we could see some interesting meetings with foreign leaders and it would make for a very readable memoir

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

you forgot about eddie hobbs
    and cecilia ahern
    and louis walshe ?:D

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

Due to cutbacks weve had to tighten up our staffing this year. Unfortunately oweing to poor productivity we will no longer be offering the position of President of Ireland anymore.

Thank you for understanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

it'll probably be Bertie. i feckin hate him.

:cool::cool::cool:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

And what about Gerry Adams or Iain Paisley!

I personally think the most likely next President is either Bertie Ahern or David Norris.

It's not clear if Ahern would run, but if he did he'd win (assuming his reputation isn't destroyed before then).

It's clear that Norris would run, but it's not clear if he'd be able to get the required support to launch a formal bid. I think if he did he'd have a very good chance of winning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

flogen wrote: »
    It's not clear if Ahern would run, but if he did he'd win (assuming his reputation isn't destroyed before then).

its f*cked now. he'll be gone by the end of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 8,831 ✭✭✭SeanW

blay1 wrote: »

its f*cked now. he'll be gone by the end of the year

No such f***ing luck. :mad: But I digress.

Remember that the President has sod-all actuall power, the only thing he/she can do is refer Dail legislation they deem repugnant to the Constitution to the Supreme Court for interpretation.

Other than that our President seems to be little more than a glorified ambassador, so our decision on a new President needs to be based primarily on who would be the best statesperson, secondarily on who has the wherewithall to catch the Dail out when it tries to do something unconstitutional.

Even though I don't like FF, I think Albert Renyolds did a decent job in a number of areas and he would be a potential candidate in my eyes. Pat Rabbitte maybe, or perhaps somoene from the FG crowd.

But I'd have to see a (short)list of candidates to have a preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭purple'n'gold

Jackie Healy-Rea, it would be nice to give visiting dignitaries a laugh. He could get a new cap with the presidential crest on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

I personally think the most likely next President is either Bertie Ahern or David Norris.

David Norris! If david norris was our next president i would leave the country! Cant stand that creature:mad:

I cant think of someone atm, which says alot about our 'public figures'. Pathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

If were going for celebrity over substance Neil Jordan as he could entertain us at least. Otherwise I cant think of a single Irish politician who would be suitable - Gerry Adams would be on the list but even then hardly a forerunner.

Bertie Ahern 2 /10
    Eamon Ryan 0 /10
    Ivana Bacik 0/10
    Mairead McGuinness 0/10
    Michael D.Higgins 2/10
    David Norris -9million/10
    Brian Crowley 2/10
    Trevor Sargent 0/10
    Mary O’Rourke -10/10
    Paul Hewson (Bono) 0/10
    Marian Harkin 0/10
    John Bruton -10/10
    Mary Davis 0/10
    Martin McAleese 0/10
    Liz McManus 1/10
    Maura Geoghegan Quinn 1/10
    Albert Reynolds 2/10
    Seamus Heaney 2.000001/10
    Alan Dukes 0/10

ps If Mary Harney ever stands get ready for some travis bickle type antics out of me.

If there are any polish politicians reading this - our country needs you now ! !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

It's not clear if Ahern would run, but if he did he'd win .....

Why do you think that? I find that highly insulting to my national identity. He is such thug.

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    David Norris! If david norris was our next president i would leave the country! Cant stand that creature:mad:

I cant think of someone atm, which says alot about our 'public figures'. Pathetic.

David Norris is a genius; he is probably the only one in the world that has REALLY read Finnegans Wake. (As opposed to saying they did)

David Norris is a genius; he is probably the only one in the world that has REALLY read Finnegans Wake. (As opposed to saying they did)

Aside from being homosexual and reading joyce what has he actually ever done in his long political career which would qualify him ? My vote is someone who represents the majority of the people of Ireland on the world stage and he is not that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

i'd rather see david norris there than mary mcaleese.

That sounds fair enough. What would you list as his major achievments/qualifications though ?

Not that I can name a single one of Mary McAleese's without reaching for google - aside from 'being a woman'.

I think we need to start getting value for money from the president and we havent been getting that since the very early days of Mary Robinson.

The sad thing is I cant think of anyone that I would have high expectations of right at this minute - having said that Norris is just not qualified imo. The words interntional and laughing stock spring to mind. I would not be comfortable with him representing the republic of Ireland on the world stage. Being gay/a dublin character is not a qualification.

Ps I have a lot of respect for his stance on georgian dublin etc - also the fact that he is a joycean scholar is not a bad thing. Its just that these are not qualifications for president. I also feel that he would be a divisive force for the country as a whole at a time when in the coming years we may need the exact opposite.

Yes, but Norris is a gas man, I remember him on TV (the Late, late I think) saying it was a good job that Brooklyn Beckham was not conceived in Hackballs Cross.

If not Norris, then maybe Shane Ross, now he'd also make a good president.

If not Norris, then maybe Shane Ross, now he'd also make a good president.

I had completely forgotten about him tbh - based on what I know of him I dont think he would be a bad choice at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

McAleese can't run again. One of the "problems" with her presidency is that she's off doing fairly mundane things like meeting ordinary people. The presidency in general , apart dealing with the Council of State, is largely ceremonial. Ceremony costs money and sometimes it's not obvious what use it is. Both McAleese and Robinson before her set out visions for what they wanted their role to be. Up until that it was largely a retirement
    home for ex Taoisigh and retired judges.
    As to the vexed question I would like to see another woman in there. Mary Davis and Liz McManus spring to mind. On the male side there is the option of Michael D once again. David Norris would have too much fun with and couldn't be expected to take it seriously. He's also starting to sound a bit like Michael D as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

please not bertie ahern. I think he's played Mr Political Celebrity for long enough. if he gets a prsidency westlife will be holding free god damn concerts in phoenix park

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

To be cynical, do we actually have a say who is nominated as a candidate for President, its just that at the last debacle, no candidate was put up against Mrs. McAleese. I still cannot fathom such apathy amongst the major political parties that they could not cobble a reasonable and credible candidate to oppose Mrs. McAleese. It undermined the office and makes it appear as redundant and pointless. It would be great if we had a strong Presidential role where he or she could kick ass and keep Ahern, Kenny, Gilmore and the rest in line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

What were they saying about David Norris when his name was mentioned the last time?

Something like getting two for one . . . . a queen and a president! Badum tish.

No one on that list inspires me that much tbh

I suppose Norris would be the best out of that lot. But I couldn't see him getting any official invites to the likes of Saudi Arabia etc not that that kind of thing should ever be a consideration in us picking a president.

stevoman wrote: »
    please not bertie ahern. I think he's played Mr Political Celebrity for long enough. if he gets a prsidency westlife will be holding free god damn concerts in phoenix park

Look on the bright side, if he got it, he would cheapen the office so much it would just fade away, no one half right would really want it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,831 ✭✭✭SeanW

Last time Mary McAleese ran for reelection unopposed.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

SeanW wrote: »
    Last time Mary McAleese ran for reelection unopposed.

As a Blueshirt I'd probably self combust if Bertie or Adams got it. better still, if there was an FF ticket Vs Adams ticket...... :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Tommy T

I'd campaign personally for Michael O'Leary but he's too busy working for Irish consumers and fighting State monopolies to retire to the Park.

Norris, Bertie and Doctor Bill will be the candidates...

Im shocked at the support for Norris!:eek:

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    Im shocked at the support for Norris!:eek:

He's a great character. Is a brilliant communicator, full of boundless energy and is passionate about what he believes in.

He'd be a wonderful representative of the Irish People in my view...

Tommy T wrote: »
    He's a great character. Is a brilliant communicator, full of boundless energy and is passionate about what he believes in.

He'd be a wonderful representative of the Irish People in my view...

I dont think he was even born in this counrty! He is far removed from the average joe on the street. And personally, I would not like him to represent me in any shape or form!

If Norris was elected I dont think anyone would be surprised if he greeted president bush wearing a guantanamo jumpsuit. He is just plain flat out too flaky to be a president. Sorry to be boring but I would not trust him with opening an envelope never mind representing our nation across the globe. He would not represent me in any way shape or form.

• Advertisement

Like it or not lads thats Constitutional Democracy for you. If elected he'd represent us all.

He'd do a great job. Bring alot of colour to the Aras and the Office.

Advertisement