Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next Irish President

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    I dont think he was even born in this counrty! He is far removed from the average joe on the street. And personally, I would not like him to represent me in any shape or form!

David's a true Dub if ever there was one, and what about adding Bob Geldof to the short list also ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

ArthurF wrote: »
    David's a true Dub if ever there was one, and what about adding Bob Geldof to the short list also ?

Geldof?! Even worse!
    Would rather have Dustin the turkey then them two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭jawlie

David Norris! If david norris was our next president i would leave the country! Cant stand that creature:mad:

I cant think of someone atm, which says alot about our 'public figures'. Pathetic.
    Im shocked at the support for Norris!:eek:
    I dont think he was even born in this counrty! He is far removed from the average joe on the street. And personally, I would not like him to represent me in any shape or form!
    Geldof?! Even worse!
    Would rather have Dustin the turkey then them two.

Does anyone else get the feeling that Kev ps3 seems a little bit negative in his contributions here to date? I wonder does he have anything positive to add rather than just a stream of negativity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

jawlie wrote: »
    Does anyone else get the feeling that Kev ps3 seems a little bit negative in his contributions here to date? I wonder does he have anything positive to add rather than just a stream of negativity?

I have been negative for the most part too - soon as you start mentioning reasonable candidates you might start getting more positive responses.

If I were to put forward the name of Kevin Myers would you remain upbeat ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Tommy T

Morlar wrote: »
    I have been negative for the most part too - soon as you start mentioning reasonable candidates you might start getting more positive responses.

If I were to put forward the name of Kevin Myers would you remain upbeat ?

Kevin is an intellectual giant who'd be wasted in the constraint that come with the Office...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Tommy T wrote: »
    Kevin is an intellectual giant who'd be wasted in the constraint that come with the Office...

Whereas Geldolf wouldnt be able to find the office and the whole norris phoenix park gay thing is just too easy to make jokes about.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I'd vote for Norris. He is loudly enthusiastic about what he believes in and loudly critical of what he abhors (e.g. terrorism). I don't think I'd like him as Taoiseach but he would be a great ambassador for our country as President, he might inject some life into Irish politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

pfkf1 wrote: »
    I know its some way off but just wondering who people think or would like to see be the next Irish president, here is a list of potential candidates:

Bertie Ahern
    Eamon Ryan
    Ivana Bacik
    Mairead McGuinness
    Michael D.Higgins
    David Norris
    Brian Crowley
    Trevor Sargent
    Mary O’Rourke
    Paul Hewson (Bono)
    Marian Harkin
    John Bruton
    Mary Davis
    Martin McAleese
    Liz McManus
    Maura Geoghegan Quinn
    Albert Reynolds
    Seamus Heaney
    Alan Dukes

You forgot:

Pat Cox
    Denis O'Brien (listen to his latest media coverage)

and you can discount Albert Reynolds he was the 1997 option, he's now past it. It's a job that requires a lot of stamina and he's nearly 80.

You mightn't be far wrong on Martin McAleese though...hadn't crossed my mind before.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭purple'n'gold

Seeing as a lot of us would like to see David Norris as our next president, who do you think he would appoint to his council of state? Baring in mind that he is allowed to appoint up to 7 members who will hold office (at his discretion) for as long as his tenure lasts.

check link.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/government-in-ireland/the-president/council_of_state

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

Ray Darcy anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭jawlie

eoin5 wrote: »
    Ray Darcy anyone?

Who is Ray Darcy? A footballer, probably?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭duggie-89

in my opinion its too hard to get the formal signatures needed to run for president, it should be more easy for people to run.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

duggie-89 wrote: »
    in my opinion its too hard to get the formal signatures needed to run for president, it should be more easy for people to run.

Just say it, you want to run yourself dont you :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭duggie-89

eoin5 wrote: »
    Just say it, you want to run yourself dont you :D

well if you think i should, i WILL DO IT 4 U!!! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

David Norris! If david norris was our next president i would leave the country!
    Why? We need someone in the Áras who stands up for what they believe in, like Mary Robinson.
    is_that_so wrote: »
    David Norris would have too much fun with and couldn't be expected to take it seriously.
    That is a possibility alright :).
    I dont think he was even born in this counrty!
    Neither was Mary McAleese. Besides, Norris is an Irish citizen - where he was born (Congo) is irrelevant.
    Tommy T wrote: »
    Please tell me you're joking. Kevin Myers as president?!? I shudder at the thought...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

The office of President was established by DeValera during the initial treaty negotiations to act as a counter-balance to the role of the British King on the part of the British negotiators.

DeValera himself said that he felt more at home with British style democracy than American style democracy and the current office of Irish President has long been a hang-over of his legacy.

It's by no coincidence that the Aras was once the Vice-Regal lodge. Look at the duties of the office of Viceroy and current President and you'll be pressed to find much difference.

The office of Irish President as it stands currently is little more than a political junket and effectively a joke. Up to, and including, Patrick Hilary, it was little more than a personal political retirement home.

It's about time we streamlined the current structure and demanded more value for money from our pay-rise loving politicians.

Advertisement