Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NCT on a camper

• 14-01-2008 2:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if a 1981 Fiat Amigo 900t Camper would have to go for the NCT? been looking at the nct site and vro sites, it's all a little confusing:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

As long as it is registered here as a "motorcaravan" it doesn't need a NCT test.

Is it registered yet? Did you get it classified as a "motorcaravan" ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 celerond

thanks for getting back to me...

have not got it registered yet... how do I get it classified as a motorcaravan?

I did get a quote from an insurance company for a camper, will it make any difference as a motor home? are there any other implications for having it classified as a motorcaravan as opposed to a camper?

as you can tell I am kinda new to all this...

cheers

"Motorcaravan" is the name that Irish officialdom has given to what you and I call a camper.

In order to get it recognised as such it needs to fulfill several criteria among which there are a cooker with at least two rings, a sink and ...now comes the tricky bit ...interior height of no less than 180 cm.

An officer from the Vehicle registration office will carry out a visual inspection of your vehicle prior to registration.

Rumour has it, that the vehicle reg office is getting rather strict on the 180 cm and doesn't recognise pop-tops any more.

So, it could be that your little Fiat wil not get registered as a "motorcaravan" but as a car or instead ...in which case it will need an NCT test also.

The added problem then is, that a "car" will probably not be insurable as a camper

Guess I'll give it a try and see what happens... can it be done at any VRO or does it have to be in the county I'm livin in?

Ireland does seem to make things far more difficult than needs be...;)

is that 180cm top down?

It has to be in your county

Top up / top down ...that is the question.
    It very much depends on how much your officer on the day is clued in to the latest guidelines (which seem to disallow pop-tops)

Was the Fiat previously registered as a camper in another country? Maybe you have an argument there ...

• Advertisement

Not sure if it was previously registered as a camper... i'll have to check that out..

one more question for you.... do I have to pay the vrt immediately, like within a week or do I have a certain amount of time to do that?

thanks again

just rang the vro in wicklow, he mentioned 25% of the market value... if I am only paying 1500 for it will they accept that as the market value or do they make up they're own number when they see it?:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

yes, they will make up their won as they see it, open market value.

But, if its a rare or not run of the mill camper, they may take on board your valuation as to its true cost on the open market. Can depends on the official on the day.

the word "minefield" keeps coming to mind:(

your VRO officer is wrong anyway :D

if it is a "motorcaravan", the rate is 13.5%

if it is a "car", then due to its age (and non-collectable status) it would attract the minimum rate which is 350 €

and yes ....minefield is putting it mildly

• Advertisement

Cheers, I better have all my facts and figures sorted out so I can tell him what he does not know....:D..politley of course:cool:

Do the VRT people look for proof of when the van entered the country? as the guy who owns it already has it here...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

I have just gone through this experience, see, http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055206276

I was advised by the MCCI that Motorcaravans over 15years old need a garage inspection, over 20 years old it will need a DOE test or a Engineers report,(if your a new owner of the vehicle) i suggest an Engineers report.
    My dear camper was killed off on the second attempt at getting it through a DOE test, the DOE test is brutal on a vehicle that could really be classed as a vintage car, to take a 7lb lump hammer to the panels and chassis of any vehicle that age is going to cause damage.
    Which brings me nicely to my question,:D
    Due to the demise of my poor wagon i have gone out and bought a Citreon Relay 1400 2.5D, i intent moving my Autosleeper interior into the new wagon and trying to re-classify it as a campervan, i have the equipment and the height, i'm a little concerned about the 3ton weight, i bought the vehicle in the uk, and as such am waiting for the documents, anyone any idea if this vehicle meets with the criteria on the over 3 ton weight ???

Cheers,
    Billy.

cheers for that...

another question for you.. do you have to have the log book to get the vrt sorted or does the export document suffice??:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Export documentation will suffice, your new log book (its now just a cert) will be sent on to you after registration, I think after you tax it. They give you a form so that you can tax it the first time without a logbook, from memory.
    I dealt with the Wicklow VRO people for my import last summer and found them very efficient and reasonable people too. Watch out though, they work very odd hours.

hey again,

the vro finally got back to me. they valued it at 2000euro and the vrt is 450euro. I told him I only paid 1500 for it and he says..oh well that would change to around 2000euro so thats about right.. but I said it only cost me 1500euro... so then he changes to oh well that would be the price you paid for it minus the vrt?? sounds like a very twisted logic to me... like just making the vrt fit whatever they want it to fit.....

so its classed as category A.. though I asked him is it down as a motorhome and he said yes...

this is bloody confusing to me...

what does this mean for tax and nct?

a very confused and broke vehicle owner.. at least I think they still class it as a vehicle..maybe they think its a horse!!!:D

I think you will have to get a NCT test on it, you will struggle to get insurance via the motorcaravan clubs if it has no NCT.

Let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

I think you will have to get a NCT test on it, you will struggle to get insurance via the motorcaravan clubs if it has no NCT.

Let us know how you get on.

There is no NCT for motorhomes. You will need an engineers report for insurance with Dolmen. You don't need to be a member of any club to get insurance.

I was informed by 3 seperate insurance companies that although a NCT/DOE is not required on campervans, once over 15yrs old they require an engineers report, over 20years it requires a NCT/DOE test.

This is presuming your a new owner to the vehicle.

Did they tell me porkies!!! :eek:

They didn't tell you porkies:D They would need a DOE test. The NCT don't test motorhomes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭dollydishmop

I was informed by 3 seperate insurance companies that although a NCT/DOE is not required on campervans [...] over 20years it requires a NCT/DOE test.

Dolmen insured my 20yrs+ camper with just an engineers report.

But I guess if that is what the insurance company is asking for then that's what you have to give them to get cover <shrug>

I have insurance and they never asked for any test... though I did tell them I was waiting on an NCT, thinkin I might need one at the time...

Just looking at the Dolmen proposal form. They ask for a "garage report" for vehicles over 15 years old. Nothing more. See attached

Hey,

just an update on the ongoing saga...

the vro got back to me again... they said they are gonna class it as a van with windows... but subclassify it as a motorhome and for the tax office it won;t be code 49 but a new code 50 cause they are getting a lot of campers that don;t fit the 1.8 height rule... he said any probs with the tax office not having the code on the computer..to just get them to take a look at it cause its obviously a motorhome

then..

the motor tax office would not take the vrt office description of light van/motor caravan(which the vro actuall wrote on the RF100. she just looked at it and said its not 1.8m..... so 165euros was the damage... it really is so frustrating but I am sure a lot of you have been thru the same thing... . She even said it was a passenger carrying vehicle... cause it has seating area in the back, which is of course for when the van is stopped...

but there are no seat belts in back so that would be illegal so how can it be that???

then she checked to see about it needing a DOE and came back and said it needed an NCT..... not sure i've had a worse time with a vehicle in my life!!

I am going to appeal this decision as it just makes no sense.. it is a manufactured motor caravan... so how can they just decide it is not???
    at the very least it is a van and not a car!!!
    its like calling a cooker a fridge....

anyone had any luck with an appeal?

Thats rip-off Ireland for you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭Malta1

Any chance that you could get VRO to talk to Motor tax directly......at this stage it looks like you are trying to mediate between to state agencies

Good luck

well the woman in the tax office said she rang the vro and the guy there was doing his best to get it calssified as a motor caravan, hence the new sub classification... which she kinda said could not be done on a "whim" but she was just stuck on this 1.8m rule...

I can understand them maybe doing this with converted vans but not manufactured campers...

told her I was gonna appeal it anyway as it is ridiculous.. I did not buy the camper to avoid anything... I bought it to camp in!! I'm already insured on a car..

I guess I'll send a letter off and see what reply I get... but surely there is some higher authority that can put an end to this type of situation, maybe I'll take my case to europe...:D

got in touch with the tax office and they were missing some info from the VRO.. all sorted now...finally got it taxed as a motor caravan.... hours of my life I will never have back;)

so no NCT!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭Malta1

Congrats :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭hynesie

I'm a bit confused by this.
    Has there been a change in the rules again? How did a van without 1.8m internal height manage to get registered as a camper?
    Does this mean that any height van can now be registered as a camper or does it have to be an older van to get away with the lower roof height?
    Does this have any implications for future classification of campers?

Advertisement