Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegetarian/Non-vegetarian Database

Options
  • 14-01-2008 3:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭

Folks, Mods in particular,

I was wondering what would people's thoughts be on creating either a sticky or better still, a spreadsheet accessible to all where we could each input products that we know for a fact are vegetarian or not vegetarian i.e. one section for each. Each entry would ideally contain a link to proof.

I know that in the first few years of my vegetarianism, I was still consuming products that, at the time, thought were vegetarian but consequently found out to be the contrary.

It would be a communal, helpful database to which we could individually add our own items of information and also draw on other's.

I've checked on here to see if it's been done but haven't seen anything. If it has been done, apologies, but if it hasn't, what do ye think?

K.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

I was thinking of doing a website that's like a community where people post up information about different things to do with being veggie. It would be a long time before that happens though...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Some sort of spreadsheet or database would be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

I was also thinking of something similar.

Kraggy, do you think this would be most useful for supermarket products?

Do you think that it might be a bit difficult to get people to update this, considering that many products will have "Suitable for vegetarians" anyway, and for the ones that don't, it may be quite difficult to find out? (short of getting in contact with each manufacturer and asking for info).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Peanut wrote: »
    I was also thinking of something similar.

Kraggy, do you think this would be most useful for supermarket products?

Do you think that it might be a bit difficult to get people to update this, considering that many products will have "Suitable for vegetarians" anyway, and for the ones that don't, it may be quite difficult to find out? (short of getting in contact with each manufacturer and asking for info).

Hi Peanut,

Your question is actually my primary reason for suggesting such a database.

It is indeed difficult to know about every product on supermarket shelves but that's why a joint effort by all is a good idea in my humble opinion. If everyone chipped in, you'd be surprised by how much we could learn.

Furthermore, there are products whose non-vegetarian status I didn't know about but found out as a result of places such as boards.ie. I didn't email the company but gained from the fact that someone else did and mentioned it on here.

Basically, I think we all have a lot to share with and learn from each other. It's just a matter of putting the thing in place.

So, what do you guys and gals reckon would be the best way of providing a public-input database? Some sort of wiki? Or are there websites that provide webspace that could be used as a spreadsheet?

I'm not too up-to-date with web stuff...

I think it's a good idea, but a big difficulty with these types of lists is in keeping them up to date. A product that is vegetarian one day may change the production process the next, and end up with different ingredients.

Still, I suggest a good starting point would be to list out (and post here) the type of veggie/non-veggie stuff you were thinking about.

I have to admit that sometimes I prefer to remain in blissful ignorance..
    Especially when you are abroad, and it's just not practical to question the contents of everything. Plus I would drive people nuts :D

But I do try to take more notice of things when at home.
    So I guess a list to begin with would include,

Cheeses
    Other products containing whey
    Animal derived colourings
    Animal fat in products (not as big a problem these days)
    Gelatine in products
    Materials that might possibly be from animal sources (stearic acid, glycerine)
    Animal derived ingredients in supplements etc. (gelatine capsule shells)
    ..vegans add a good bit of other stuff

I imagine you were thinking of just listing stuff which is potentially 'doubtful' as to it's veg*an status?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 adamao

Nice topic, would be very useful I have to say. How about using a google spreadsheet? That's simple enough to use and it can be edited by as many people as you like (even simultaneously).

I think it's important to cover things that aren't actually covered with a veg*an sign (ie. alcohol, particularly the Guinness can be seen as not veg*an depending on how strict you are.)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Sounds good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

yes, sounds good, but like a lot of effort to construct. i'd be happy to contribute. as suggested, it would be great to include the items which are widely known as not being veggie, where veggie ones exist, like jelly sweets :)

i was recently introduced to Cherry Bears - vegetarian jelly bears available in Nourish. Pricey, and not really chewy, but nice all the same ;)

of course, it's much like the idea of the animal free shopper, which lists all that is vegan (and therefore veggie) and available to view on line http://www.animalfreeshopper.com/html/

This thread has inspired me (or, i suppose reminded me) to start my website. Wish me luck!

Good luck. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

adamao wrote: »
    Nice topic, would be very useful I have to say. How about using a google spreadsheet? That's simple enough to use and it can be edited by as many people as you like (even simultaneously).

I think it's important to cover things that aren't actually covered with a veg*an sign (ie. alcohol, particularly the Guinness can be seen as not veg*an depending on how strict you are.)

Sounds good guys. Thanks for the feedback.

I'm away at the moment and not on the interweb too often but will be back later on in the week and maybe we'll start discussing the best format for the spreadsheet i.e. categories. Unless ye want to start the ball rolling before then! The more the merrier.

Talk to ye soon, :)

K.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Parnassia

There's a similar (but vegan) website http://isitvegan.info/

I think the problem with this is the updating, though. You would need to have a lot of people keeping their eyes on the ball and letting you know if they spot a recipe change etc.

Good luck anyway - it's a good idea!

Don't worry, we spot these thing.
    When heinz and 'sprinkles' changed their packaging, I noticed a good ten seconds later. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

you noticed? he he he!

good luck on the web-site nature boy!

I noticed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 DangleDevil

This is a great idea.... it should be the law that they have to put the 'V' on all products, make our lives much easier... but until that happens i think this is a good idea.
    I'm always looking up on the net to see if certain jams and stuff are suitable and can never find out, it would be great if you could just log on here and check and i'd definitly be interested in helping keep it up to date.

I never trust the V sign, I always read the ingredients.

:eek: Surely they can't put the V sign on if its not even true. Do they??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

:eek: Surely they can't put the V sign on if its not even true. Do they??

as far as I know and please correct me if I'm wrong, theres no law regarding the V sign [like there is with say labeling things organic] Alot of supermarkets and food manufacturers have taken it upon themselves to add V symbols to their products and its not universal across the board - there are some things that contain animal products [alot of those pesky E additives] that they aren't aware of or don't count or if they buy in a product from a different manufacture to use in the making of their product, it might not be vegatarian but as they didn't add/use meat products they label it as being V. Plus V usually means lacto ovo vegetarian. I usually give a quick glance to new products I've never tired before just to be sure.

As far as i know if i product is marked as vegetarian or vegan, it has meet the definition specified by the food standards agency (I think that's what it's called anyway!)

• Advertisement

Nature Boy wrote: »
    As far as i know if i product is marked as vegetarian or vegan, it has meet the definition specified by the food standards agency (I think that's what it's called anyway!)

I don't think so. I try look it up.

The veg soc symbol is trustworthy though.

I didn't find any regulations but I did find a group of people who were complaining to tesco about their definition of vegetarian, which includes fish and what I presume to be battery eggs.

vegie%20my%20arse.jpg

That's quite surprising.

I think this must have been a slip up on Tesco's behalf, don't think I've seen anything like this before, I usually look at a lot of labels, just out of curiosity a lot of the time.

I agree with Peanut, Tesco don't usually mark things veggie if it's got fish in it, that must have been a slip up.

I remember reading about mars putting 'suitable for vegetarians' on their bars and they mentioned something about the food standards group, i remember seeing a big document and the definition of vegetarian was buried in there somewhere. But then again, maybe I'm just talking sh1te!

:( Oh my god!!! So basically all this time i've been taking it for granted that the 'V' sign was 100% ensurace that it was suitable and it might not have been. :(

It really should the law that it has to be on ALL products whether its PROPERLY suitable or not. Does this just not happen because the company might lose profit from some veggies not buying it, or because it would be a hassle to put it on their labels???? Or What?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

from what I understand the food standards agency/food safety authority has guidelines on what is considered veggie but companies aren't required by law to label food, most have started voluntary labeling their products. There is an argument among different brands as to the criteria for labeling something as veggie so it varies from product to product. If its got one of the "vegetarian society approved" stickers then its prob ok.

Its no seen as something major to push as most vegetarians in this country are veggie for health reasons/as animal lovers/dislike of meat etc so its viewed as a personal choice unlike countries like say india were alot of people are veggie for religious reasons.

we're not as bad as the states were the labeling laws are all over the place. I spoke with several animal rights people who showed me factory farms that labeled their eggs as free range and organic and there was actually no law saying they couldn't do that.

Well thanks for the info ztoical, i'll make sure to check all the ingredients from now on. I'm even more in favour of the database thing being made now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Given that even amongst ourselves we can't agree on what a vegetarian is it's a bit much to expect Tesco to know!

In all fairness fish is pulling the proverbial.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Weyhey

a database would be great.

I've also emailled a few restaurants in my time to ask about their cheese dishes containing veggie cheese and food cooked in seperate oil to meat, would be great to add these too as finding veggie friendly places to eat is a nightmare.

Advertisement