Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The state of boards.ie

Options
  • 14-01-2008 3:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭

No, this won't be a rant about boards.ie and how it is run or anything like that and I couldn't come up with a catchy title.

I had some (ok a lot) of spare time on my hands today and I did a little bit of number crunching with the publicly available stats.

At the time of writing there is currently 7,871,684 posts on this website and 132,705 users so each user has an average of 59.32 posts

When you break it down to active users (defined as having 100 or more posts) then you have 8190 users so each user has 961.13 posts each

Now when you look at the top posters (defined as having 10,000 or more posts) then there is a rather exclusive club of 46 who have 694,782 posts between them and are responsible for 8.83% of all the posts made on boards.

However I think the more interesting/shocking stat is that there is only about 300 subscribed users on the website. (Or that I could see anyway) so you have a 0.2261% sub rate between all users, when you only use active users that number rises to 3.663%

I was going to do fancy pie charts and all that but I thought it might be a little excessive anyway I hope at least someone finds this as interesting as I have.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,958 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

get a life

:cool::cool::cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

tell-me-when-its-over.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I think it's interesting.

Although I'm one of the 46 people who account for 8.83% of the posts on boards... so I probably have more of an emotional investment in the site than most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

How long did this take you to work out?!

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

orestes wrote: »
    How long did this take you to work out?!

Maybe about 30 mins at most? Its fairly quick if you know where you are looking although my calculator telling me it was out of memory adding the numbers up slowed me down alright.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭gerky

I found it a little interesting.

And I think being a subscriber should give you more benefits then now,you know a line here a hooker there just to keep us sweet:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭gerky

double post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

I found that fairly interesting alright. In fact, it has guilted me into renewing my sub....
    Viva la 10k!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

There are more than 46 => 10000 posts. ecksor, Terry... maybe others.

I'll probably resub. in the next few weeks.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Karoma wrote: »

Maybe Vex as well. He's always changing his post count so God only knows what it is. Do deleted posts count towards the overall post count because if so the vast majority of that 7,000,000 is spam. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I've had my postcount reset twice.

it was at 666 for a loooonnnng time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

TimTim wrote: »
    I was going to do fancy pie charts and all that but I thought it might be a little excessive anyway I hope at least someone finds this as interesting as I have.

mmm pie

0000000679_20060919022124.jpg

potd_pi-pie.jpg

psi wrote: »
    I've had my postcount reset twice.

it was at 666 for a loooonnnng time

I'd like that. Someone make me brand new please. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

The-Rigger wrote: »

I'd like that. Someone make me brand new please. :)

It's like getting your virginity back, even down to the innocence and naivity and not realising that the more experienced folk are gonna try to take advantage of you!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

yis are all fcuking blow ins.

As a subscriber with over 10,000 posts, and Official Boards.ie Best Mod* and Official Boards.ie Most Wonderful Poster awards holder*, I am pretty much keeping this place running.

* May not be factually true

Karoma wrote: »

I wondered about that, I've seen before posts counts that seemed a little iffy, I'm sure an admin could lift off more accurate numbers directly from the SQL server.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Have you factored in qualitative aspects like that most of the posts in AH etc. are complete rubbish and therefore couldn't be considered a "contribution" to the site?

Methinks not. :/

Have you factored in qualitative aspects like that most of the posts in AH etc. are complete rubbish and therefore couldn't be considered a "contribution" to the site?

Methinks not. :/

If I was to start excluding entire sections of the site I thought I wasn't important enough, not relevant, it would cause war, other people would claim x is relevant while others y etc etc

After hours is part of boards.ie regardless of what people think of it and this post is about stats from boards.ie in its entirety.

Also I used the word responsible :p

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Have you taken into account tcn posts? :P

Can we add up all the 'yore ma' posts? That could be a valuable statistic to take to potential advertisers.

Have you taken into account tcn posts? :P

I don't know if they are counted by vbulletin, one of the admins would have to clear it up if the stats on the bottom of the page include tcn
    Can we add up all the 'yore ma' posts? That could be a valuable statistic to take to potential advertisers.

select count(*) from post where post.pagetext like '%your ma%' *

*May or may not cause the SQL server to explode, I take no responsibility for this query

• Advertisement

TimTim wrote: »

select count(*) from post where post.pagetext like '%your ma%' *

*May or may not cause the SQL server to explode, I take no responsibility for this query

Unfortunately the search cuts off at 500 posts.

Unfortunately the search cuts off at 500 posts.

This is where an admin blasts in and gives us proper stats, one of the admins can run that query on the SQL server itself and not depend on vB to give results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭pid()

I think we should nuke all of those Yore Ma posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

yis are all fcuking blow ins.

As a subscriber with over 10,000 posts, and Official Boards.ie Best Mod* and Official Boards.ie Most Wonderful Poster awards holder*, I am pretty much keeping this place running.

* May not be factually true
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=54783874
    Mod of the year (and one of the "top posters" :) ). FACT.
    Bow down before me.
    pid() wrote:
    I think we should nuke all of those Yore Ma posts.
    I tried, but failed through boredom.

The thunderdome doesn't count. Nor does the recycle bin.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I think this is reasonably interesting (and I dont want to see "get a life" and Lolcats again in reply to a post like this... thanks).

However, apart from analysis of the numbers (which happens here about once every 2 months) I'm not sure what your point is? Is there a point?

Anyway, if you ever wanted to know other numbers, I can run a variety of interesting queries on the site...

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Sorry to hijack this thread but I have a numerical enquiry.

On average, how many pms get sent per day?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

TCN, Thunderdome and Recycle Bin do not count towards a users post count. I dunno if they count towards the site total though... I'm not particularly curious to be honest :)

I disagree with the idea that any content is "bad" or "irrelevant". My english teacher once told me "there is no such thing as dirt, there is simply matter which is in the wrong place".

I contend that there is no such thing as bad posts... just posts in the wrong place. There is nothing wrong with a "low" content forum full of inane posts... TCN is hardly going to solve world poverty or cure cancer but there is nothing wrong with a bit of light hearted inanity!

DeV.

smashey wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack this thread but I have a numerical enquiry.

On average, how many pms get sent per day?
    wow... thats a good one... I dunno. I will try to find out.

DeV.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Has there ever been a boards wedding? (as in 2 people who met on boards getting hitched?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

faceman wrote: »
    (as in 2 people who met on boards getting hitched?)
    There's def been more that a few cases of 2 people who met on boards getting jiggy....

Advertisement