Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anywhere to fix a laptop/buy parts?

Options
  • 14-01-2008 10:30am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭

Spilt vodka and orange over this yoke and now the keyboard appears to be drunk... at least its gone haywire! Can i fix it/replace d keyboard/get it repaired local?
    bought 4 month ago frm Dell but not sure this falls under warranty...

would NUIG comp services help you thiink? im a student n need this for work.

apologies 4 spelling.. on screen keyboard!

tanx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Tony H

it wont be under warrenty unless you have accidental damage cover with it , however most dell keyboards are fairly easy to replace , normally two screws and a connection to the motherboard , have a look on ebay and you should be able to get one easily enough .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Try laptech next to mcswiggans, Dave may be able to help you there. Hope there is not much damage done. If so now adays its just as cheap to buy a new one.
    Hope you've learnt your lesson about drinking and typing LOL!

P.s Try Dell and tell a few white lies, If it has a onsite repair warrenty the engineer i know in Galway is sound that comes out for Dell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

same thing happened to my sister, except it was water, took it to this crowd
    http://www.comptroub.ie/html/home there based in the crescent, fixed in no time!
    great service

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

how much? cause i could easily replace it myself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

well they cleaned and replaced the hdd for 150euro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

Spilt vodka and orange over this yoke and now the keyboard appears to be drunk... at least its gone haywire! Can i fix it/replace d keyboard/get it repaired local?
    bought 4 month ago frm Dell but not sure this falls under warranty...

would NUIG comp services help you thiink? im a student n need this for work.

apologies 4 spelling.. on screen keyboard!

tanx

when did it happen? When something is spilt on a laptop, don't turn it on. Take out the battery, leave it open and put it into the hotpress for 24hrs. Then try to turn it on. If you've been using it since, then theres a good chance the problem is permanent and parts need replacing. Unless you know what you're doing, you shouldn't try to replace the parts yourself, that will also void the warranty. You'll probably have to bite the bullet and pay for a repair from any of the companies named above or by Dell themselves. Depending on what needs replacing/fixing it could be costly

The laptop itselff is grand i.e. evrrytn works bar the keyboard

also im more than capable of replacing it myself, jjust need to find a local shop that sells em...

If thats the case, you can buy the parts you need online. I'd say even Ebay.ie would have what you're looking for

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

To be honest there is a chance it is not your keyboard thats faulty, could be a part of mainboard. Have you tried a USB keyboard? Just to narrow it down?

eBay just has loads of Hong Kong imports, i need this ASAP

• Advertisement

eBay just has loads of Hong Kong imports, i need this ASAP

My guess is that any shop you go to get it replaced will have to order it in anyway. Get out the Golden Pages and start calling. anyway, but good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

like said aoe, why not just uy a US keyoard in the meantime and order a KB online

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

For getting the parts I'd say eBay for sure, as said you'll be waiting no matter where you go. Stay away from PC World and the place out on Sean Mulvoy Road..Computer repair is pretty easy, if ya need help just look up how to do it on google, If its not a new laptop don't spend too much on it, if it is knew I'd suggest you bring it somewhere to get fixed...most laptops I've seen that got stuff spilled on them ended up badly damaged cus the it started leading to worse problems. Like the Hard disk getting erroded. If its a Dell it should be pretty simple to fix yourself though!

Wompa - Had bad experience with the place on the Sean Mulvoy Road or something? (You're advising to stay away from them) I've no experience with them, never even been inside the door but would like to know if I should avoid the place if I ever get stuck for something

Hmmm another problem with eBay is that most of the keyboards on there are US layout....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

which one was it skilliser?They cleaned an empty hdd there are good :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Yeah U should really hook up a PC keyboard to it via USB and test that. That should get u up and running in the interim. Then buy a replacement keyboard part for your laptop. Its quite easy to install, but even if u didnt feel confident, U could buy the parts and have a kind boardsie in the know chuck the keyboard in the lappie for a small fee / free drink / night of passion with your sister.

Hmmm another problem with eBay is that most of the keyboards on there are US layout....

Then simply add 'UK' to your search tag

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭johntreacy

There's a Dell D610 Keyboard on sale in adverts what model is yours
    http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=40149&cat=8

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭ronanphilip

anyone got email or website for laptech

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement