Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Arann galway - luton last night.

Options
  • 14-01-2008 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Just had the worst flying experience of my life last night, Aer Arann vommit commit from Galway - Luton.

Shocking landing, the plane nearly flipped a few times during the landing on when it landed.

Would love to know if anyone else from around here was on the flight...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Jakey

Weather wasnt too bad in Luton last night
    EGGW 132020Z 17017KT 140V210 9999 BKN026 08/03 Q0997

• Registered Users Posts: 39 dreddredd

It wasn't bad at all. not that windy, not enough to nearly topple the plane. I might be over exaggerating, but i really dont think i am.

I get that flight every two weeks over last 12 months and before that maybe 1 a month.

I like aer arann, but this time i really didn't feel safe.

Sent them a rant in an email, lets see what they say..

Jakey wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Jakey wrote: »

One runway @ Luton 08/26.

Maybe a few drivers could provide insight into that crosswind and the significant wind variation, can't imagine that helped.

Wind is 90degrees to runway but shouldnt be near to the Xwind limit of the ATR, I dont know what aer arann set this at for their pilots/aircraft, there's no mention of gusting in the metar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

dreddredd wrote: »
    I might be over exaggerating

Eh you think????????:rolleyes: Guess what, they cant control the weather.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Steyr wrote: »
    Eh you think????????:rolleyes: Guess what, they cant control the weather.

That's a bit of a ridiculous comment in fairness.

They mightn't be able to control the weather, but they can control whether or not they fly in the weather that they should have checked out before departure.

But it seems that in this case, judging by the metar, that the weather was not overly extreme and that bad piloting is a possibility in this case.

So calm down with the roll-eyes. (You seem very fond of those looking back on some of your previous posts).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ch252

Ya, arann pilots landed in galway with windes 140@34 max 48 knots before and reported it rough....so 17 knots isn't going to worry and atr pilot that much I would have thought. I was listening to atc for that flight actually!
    REA517 if memory serves!...probably doesn't though!lol
    Darragh

kraggy wrote: »
    That's a bit of a ridiculous comment in fairness.

They mightn't be able to control the weather, but they can control whether or not they fly in the weather that they should have checked out before departure.

Not necessarily, as weather changes and from your point of TO to your landing the weather might change dramatically as we see on a daily basis here in Galway.

kraggy wrote: »
    So calm down with the roll-eyes. (You seem very fond of those looking back on some of your previous posts).

I dont feel like i need to and when use them when i feel like i need to Sir.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Steyr,

If you read back through dreddredd's post, you'll see that he wasn't actually referring to the weather. He was referring to the discomfort of the flight when he said "I might be exaggerating".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 FidesEtRobur

Firstly, Sunday evening's GWY-LTN was not operated by an Aer Arann aircraft. A leased aircraft and crew (from Poland I believe) operated the flight.

Secondly, it's impossible to tell sitting as a passenger, if a landing is dangerous or not. A metar is not an instantaneous read-out of the actual conditions experienced at landing, just the conditions at a specific time in the preceding hour. Granted it might not be comfortable in the cabin but you're not in a position to question the professionalism or competency of a licenced crew by sitting in row whatever.

The wind in question was a significant cross-wind. You didn't say if the runway was wet? Limit on a wet runway is 25kts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 skybus

There has been quite a lot of turbulence over western europe in the last week. Probably explains the "vommit commit" part of it dreddredd as you suggest. Had some of the worst turbulence I have experienced as a pilot west of france a few nights ago. There was a weather front extending all the way from north of Ireland to just west of the southern tip of portugal. It made for some uncomfortable flying as the jetstreams associated with it were very strong. I reckon that was part of what you experienced on your way to London from Galway.

Skybus, welcome, do you fly Sir? Pilot? Do tell!:)

It's vommit commit time again in Galway today winds 30kt gusting 40, Fire crew's on weather standby. Not a great flying day at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 dreddredd

A final note on this.

AerArann did contact me after i sent in an email. They confirmed that it was not them that flew that night and they had to get a leased plane in to take the flight.

They apologised for the flight and lack of communiction and sent me a travel vochure.
    They said, they did look into it but didnt say much more about that.

I have to say out side everything else, their customer service is quite good.

Advertisement