Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Bog Hotel

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭blue shimmering

It is about time something was done about this place, but won't closing down nightclubs at 1.30 not make these places more likely to pop up in the country side where young people are much more vulnerable than in the night clubs or bars in towns around Donegal? By the way it is not that close to the Blue Stack Mountains, they are at Barnesmore Gap, Drimarone and also on into Glen of Glenties!

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Christ, that article looks like it's nearly word for word of what's printed on the front page of the Donegal Post.

I must admit I had never heard of the Bog Hotel until that young Donegal Town fella died recently.

byte wrote: »
    Christ, that article looks like it's nearly word for word of what's printed on the front page of the Donegal Post.

I must admit I had never heard of the Bog Hotel until that young Donegal Town fella died recently.
    I did say a lot of what was posted by kc66 earlier but it was snipped, I suppose it was hearsay at that time but a lot of hearsay does turn out to be correct! Did anyone listen to him (Brogan) on Ocean FM and saying that there are millionaires going to build a Hotel at this location and also that there was three or four helicopers landing in? He also said that it was going full swing on Good Friday but not money passed hands!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

Seriously, if all that has been said here it true regarding the bog hotel, then it can't be too difficult to provide evidence that this guy is engaging in the alleged act of selling alcohol.

Cop on Gardai. If this place has never been known for its readiness to serve callers whatever the time (Independent article) then surely its a simple matter of having an undercover officer of the law go there one night and take a few drinks and pay for them. If he is actually breaking the law as alleged, then it shouldn't be that difficult to provide evidence to that effect

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Red Soup

I think this whole thing is over-hyped. Every town in Donegal has a shebeen of sorts, or house(s) where people go after the pubs close. It's nothing special. Very few people had heard of this one before that guy died after visiting it.

Brogan's the kind of person who loves the publicity as well. He'll keep spinning yarns as long as people will listen. He over-hypes it himself to keep the interviewers coming and keep the exposure of his 'bar' in the spotlight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 changeisneeded

i seriously think some people need to catch themselves on especially people that think they have some sort of moral highground on this ....

we have here an ould man who is having a bit of craic and giving people somewhere to go after closing time. big deal. he not hurting anyone, causing any annoyance (unless for the morally righteous!!) or breaking any laws.
    sure and isn't this the exact thing the irish are known for around the world.......(and the reason people come here)

the draconian laws regarding licensing in this country need sorted out not a boyo in a shed in the bog.

no opening on good friday, last orders 11pm ..... WHY?

and no, before anyone mentions it later opening hours will not lead to a worsening situation.
    at the minute for example you have working people going into a bar at 9pm or so they have 3 hours to pile as much drink as they can down them until throwing out time. So you then have all these people who have just downed 8 double vodka and redbull ending up on the streets with nowwhere to go. No thought or care just hoof them out and let the garda/ruc deal with with it.........

so where is the problem ? an ould man wih a shed or moral/religious led outdated laws that plauge this country .....??

i seriously think some people need to catch themselves on especially people that think they have some sort of moral highground on this ....

we have here an ould man who is having a bit of craic and giving people somewhere to go after closing time. big deal. he not hurting anyone, causing any annoyance (unless for the morally righteous!!) or breaking any laws.
    sure and isn't this the exact thing the irish are known for around the world.......(and the reason people come here)

the draconian laws regarding licensing in this country need sorted out not a boyo in a shed in the bog.

no opening on good friday, last orders 11pm ..... WHY?

and no, before anyone mentions it later opening hours will not lead to a worsening situation.
    at the minute for example you have working people going into a bar at 9pm or so they have 3 hours to pile as much drink as they can down them until throwing out time. So you then have all these people who have just downed 8 double vodka and redbull ending up on the streets with nowwhere to go. No thought or care just hoof them out and let the garda/ruc deal with with it.........

so where is the problem ? an ould man wih a shed or moral/religious led outdated laws that plauge this country .....??

You are perfectly entitled to your opinion - but do you actually realise where this BOG HOTEL is? Its out in the countryside, dark, narrow roads......it was a serious danger to all who went to it! Someone was going to lose their life eventually, there was more than drink there as well - not saying he served these but other commodities were circulating that were a danger to everyone attending!

I do know what you mean about closing hours etc...if enjoying yourself it is hard to just up and go home at closing time when you really would like that extra drink, everyone out on the street at the same time and so on. There are problems but if we are adults we have to learn to be responsible and if we drink to much to quickly how can we blame someone else for that? There are no simple solutions to the Irish problem of drinking but I don't think that having drink available out in the middle of the beyond (BOG HOTEL) is the answer either!

One problem we have is youngsters who are under 18 being sent away from establishments, where do they go - nowhere, only roaming the streets for hours on end and at time tragic things happening to them! There should be alternative places for them to go to when turned away from pubs, nightclubs etc - they are very vulnerable and shouldn't be left to roam the streets for hours.

At the same time you are obviously entitled to your opinion but these things are not as simple as they seem to be all the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

i think the gardai should go to this bog hotel some night and turf everyone out.....:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

moral/religious led outdated laws that plauge this country .....??

So what, you think everyone should be able to open a pub in their back garden?

Yes licensing laws could do with being changed, but not so anyone can sell drink were ever they like and to who ever they like. Shebean's are illegal for good reason, if you only think of them as "good craic" and frequented by "responsible adults only" then you haven't put much though into your argument.

have youse thought of any solutions to the problems i mentioned....................................hmmmm

NO

just shut it down right???

i have been there and its is just a shed and they didn't sell me any drink. I brought my own...
    no weed, no e's, no smack, lsd, or feek all else like that...
    nobody under the age of 20
    it was just a private premises with like minded people enjoying each others company.

there will always be drinking houses (shebeens) in ireland as long as they keep the draconian licensing laws.

• Advertisement

"You are perfectly entitled to your opinion - but do you actually realise where this BOG HOTEL is? Its out in the countryside, dark, narrow roads......it was a serious danger to all who went to it! Someone was going to lose their life eventually, there was more than drink there as well - not saying he served these but other commodities were circulating that were a danger to everyone attending!"

Imagine how dangerous our wee irish roads are. Out in the dark in the countryside and all !! There must be goblins and banshees and evrything ready to take you away. wile dangerous !!!

commodities circulating...hmmm do you mean weed? or e's what are you on about??
    have you ever been to a big club?
    do you know that regular alcohol and tobacco use are more dangerous than regular cannabis, ectasy, and cocaine use according to the "World Health Organisation"
    Who am I to argue

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

How exactly would you find the place?

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Bob Z wrote: »
    How exactly would you find the place?
    I dont want to see anyone answering that.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭DTrotter

muffler wrote: »
    I dont want to see anyone answering that.

Cheers

Why, it hasn't been closed down so it's not illegal. Is there personal reasons. The place is a shed owned by some thick moron where people go to drink. There's no point people getting all moralistic when most of the drinking culture issues are more or less inherited. It wasn't all "young people" who wanted special drink driving rules for rural areas. It's not young people who sell drink to underage teens.

DTrotter wrote: »
    Why, it hasn't been closed down so it's not illegal. Is there personal reasons.
    The matter is currently being dealt with in the courts and accordingly Im not going to allow anyone post up directions to any property that is the subject of court proceedings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Beez Neez

What do we think of the coverage the Bog Hotel is bringing to Donegal? It now appears that Mr Brogan has asked his solicitor to be his best man at his forthcoming marriage! What's the story with this place ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Ronan Keating

What Hotel?

Where?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

well he hasnt broken any laws, so ,more fool donegal coco, wasting our money

I'm outta Donegal for a while now but I understand it's near Frocess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭inode

is that place still going? oh and didn't a thread on this get deleted before :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Beez Neez wrote: »
    What do we think of the coverage the Bog Hotel is bringing to Donegal? It now appears that Mr Brogan has asked his solicitor to be his best man at his forthcoming marriage! What's the story with this place ?

Seriously??? FFS. He's some clown. Who is his solicitor? Brogan is a bad, bad egg, he'll get his comeuppance :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Hmmm ... I hear a padlock a coming.

His solicitor was the famous Paudge Dorrian acc to the papers today

inode wrote: »
    oh and didn't a thread on this get deleted before :rolleyes:
    No, it didnt get deleted nor was it locked. Its a pity people wouldn't search for these things before starting a new thread. The 2 threads are now merged.

Just be careful what you post here people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Why isn't this place in strabane ... Down the bog road ? Hmmmmm?

Hey Muffler Point taken about threads etc Im kinda new here and didn't think about checkin out to see if there was an earlier thread but with respect no need to be so high handed about it Perhaps a simple point to us newbies to check rather than saying it's a pity etc Its nice to be nice after all

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭IsItJustMeOr...

muffler wrote: »
    There was an article (and an interview with the owner) in the Donegal Peoples Press today. The owner claimed that the young lad who sadly died only arrived at his place on the Sunday morning, wasnt well when he did arrive and did not consume drink there. According to that article the Gardai are supposed to have said that there was no connection between the young mans death and this "venue"

I think we can all pretty well guess what the toxicology report will show but it would be a case of where and when.

Now then (with mods hat on) while this story is in the public domain I would prefer if people wouldnt jump to any conclusions or post anything inflammatory.

Sorry Muffler, you say 'I think we can all pretty well guess what the toxicology report will show...', yet say no-one should jump to conclusions
    about this story at hand.

I am genuinely very lost as to what you mean by that??

Muffler Can you please explain why I have received a warning from you Am
    I being censored?

I see clearly this is more bother than its worth. Locked.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement