Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Space Rangers 2

Options
  • 14-01-2008 11:05am
    Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I bought this 2006 game from Stardock.com over the weekend more out of boredom than anything else (trying not to drink for January, so as to have an outside chance of staying off cigarettes too) having heard it was great.

Its one of those games then that got great reviews but that nobody ever bought. I've been going through these of late, having just finished Darwinia (brilliant).

Anyway, SR2 is one of the most immersive and addictive games I've yet played. Very like Star Control II if anyone remembers it. Basically its this slick, huge & epic 2D (with a 3D RTS subgame) Elite-inspired trading/combat game with text adventures (!) thrown in for the crack. Oh, and its a bit of an RPG as well.

I'm very curious as to how many people have played here. To anyone who hasn't, I can't recommend this enough.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I played it for an hour or two. Read amazing reviews on it but just coooouldn't get into it. I think I was obsessed with Eve at the time and just couldn't be bothered giving the game a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

I played it for an hour or two. Read amazing reviews on it but just coooouldn't get into it. I think I was obsessed with Eve at the time and just couldn't be bothered giving the game a chance.

Same here. It looked very original and fun but i just didn't get sucked in. I'll try it again some time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭Trode

I loved it, lost about two months to that game last year. It's a bit rough around the edges, and the boxed copy had that Starforce ****e that caused some problems, but the the variety and imagination in the game made it all worthwhile. Finally taking down a Dominator ship(even one of the small drones) feels magnificent, especially when you raid the goodies within, like a violent galactic pinata.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Download version doesn't have Starforce thank god.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

I'm being tempted to buy this game now. Sounds like the type of game I like. How much is it from stardock?

• Advertisement
  • Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Its $20.00. Webpage is here - there's also a demo you can download, which is probably a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Like others, I downloaded it last year on the strength of its reviews - it sounded exactly like the type of game I'd love. But I just couldn't get in to it. I messed around with it for a bit until I got to the first RTS land attack mission and just found that to be pants, so gave up on the game. I tried to abort the mission and the feckers threw me in jail! Cue text-based adventure to get out of jail, but I was too annoyed with the poor RTS to go any further.

Advertisement