Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

waterproof jacket for Irish weather

• 14-01-2008 11:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 388 ✭✭

Hi
    I am quite new to this country (Cork) and am astonished by the amount of rainfall one has to live with... what kind of waterproof gear do you, the locals wear when running? the stuff I am currently using is not breathable enough for this relatively mild weather.
    thanks a million
    sf

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,522 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I bought a windproof gilet for cycling. I've been using it all the time for running - it keeps the wind and rain off my chest and therefore stops me getting cold. It has been a fantastic purchase and is very light.

I don't run when it's too wet but I have an old crappy rain jacket for those days. It's the guts of 15 years old and mainly worn to keep me warm before and after a race and rolled up and tied around my waist during the race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

I just get wet but make sure I get out of the wet clothes as soon as I stop. The last couple of weeks have been particularly bad in Cork and I think I've gotten wet on almost every run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 388 ✭✭scaryfairy

hi
    thanks for the replies (I really like that gilet, thanks for the link!). so the last two weeks are not typical for Cork? then I am not that worried. this combination of wind and downpours is lethal and I would definitely wear a waterproof but I can live with anything a bit less wild.
    thanks again
    sf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I have a windproof, waterproof lowe alpine jacket. It cost about €100. It's not gortex so its very light and ideal for rain, wind or chilly evenings

How Strange, if it's not gore tex but waterproof, what is it made of? eVent? I have seen one in a local shop but it was around 170 euro! :eek: on sale!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

scaryfairy, the jacket I have wouldn't be suitable for standing on the side of a snowy mountain at 4000ft - for that type of activity gortex is better - but the lowe alpine one I have has something along the lines of gortex - it is wind and rain proof to a degree - and for general outdoor use it is perfect because it is really light.

I got mine in Millets off Capel St and from what I can remember it was about €100.

thanks for the info, I'll look into it. but it's so great to have 2 sunny days in a row!
    cheers
    sf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭bazman

There is only one fabric to get and that is goretex paclite.
    It's light, absolutely waterproof and most importantly breathable.
    Get a jacket in as small as size as possible while maintaining the ability to swing your arms - will cost at least 100, possibly 200, but you won't be dissapointed.

I've just seen that for a race I'm doing on the 2-3 Feb, one of the compulsary items to carry is a waterproof jacket. Looks like I'm going to have to look into this in a bit more detail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

bazman wrote: »
    There is only one fabric to get and that is goretex paclite.
    It's light, absolutely waterproof and most importantly breathable.
    Get a jacket in as small as size as possible while maintaining the ability to swing your arms - will cost at least 100, possibly 200, but you won't be dissapointed.

Where can you get coats with this fabric?

53 degrees north?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭bazman

Lowe Alpine in Tullamore often have these jackets on sale for about 100 euro, but in Dublin you're looking the likes of the Great Outdoors, 53 degrees north - possibly talking in the region of 200 euro min.

The real place to get these jackets in Dublin is TK max - if you're lucky you'll get a good one for 100-150 euro. Different brands, but you'll always see the goretex paclite logo

HardyEustace, wiggle have a couple of paclite jackets listed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Very Good article explaining differnet types of Waterproof Jackets here:

http://www.planetfear.com/article_detail.asp?a_id=982

Agree with Bazman about the Goretex paclite. Its the best material for running. Better for everyone else if Bazman wore a Parka though : might slow him down a bit!:D

Hunnymonster, If the jacket is only for safety then its main function is to stave off hypothermia if something goes wrong. Sometimes the organisers insist that the seams are taped in such cases which might have a bearing on your jacket choice.

A slightly heavier jacket of similar material might fit the bill and wear a bit longer if youre carrying a backpack etc.

Those paclite prices in TK Max sound the business though and if a paclite fits your race specs and price range then youre sorted.

The article covers the above and more and have a look at these discussions also:

http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showthread.php?t=1930&highlight=paclite

http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showthread.php?t=3419&highlight=paclite

http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showthread.php?t=3134&highlight=paclite

Thanks for that T runner. The organisers haven't specified anything so specific as taped seams (the race is Tring2Town 2-3 Feb) and I will be balling up in my backpack, not wearing it unless it gets very cold, so the lighter the better really. I think you were spot on in thinking it was a safey issue as some of the other compulsary items are torch, spare batteries, space blanket, hat, trousers, food etc.

Advertisement