Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing a damaged car - VRT implications

• 14-01-2008 11:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭

As the title states. What are the implications of importing a damaged car that I want to repair myself - Specifically how is VRT going to be affected.

Has anyone done this or asked the VRO?

Dave

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

I was gonna do this before but was advised against it.
    AFAIK, you will still have to pay vrt on the car, then appeal for a deduction due any damage - which won't be an awful lot anyway.
    I'm open to correction, and probably will be:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,328 ✭✭✭alias no.9

The damage is not considered to the best of my knowledge, it's VRT'd the same as an undamaged car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

Oups...misread

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Damage does affect the value, but not to as big an extent as you'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

They don't really care you are getting the damaged car at a good price anyway I presume and will fix it up so you would have to show receipts of parts and labour etc in your appeal to get any reduction and then as said already don't hold your breath for much of a refund

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,611 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

land9 wrote: »
    you will still have to pay vrt on the car, then appeal for a deduction due any damage - which won't be an awful lot anyway

That's my understanding of it too. Ring / email a VRO, Mayshine and ask. Let us know as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Earth Worm Jim

Damage means nothing to the VRO - as I found out to the tune of $$$$

Damage means nothing to the VRO - as I found out to the tune of $$$$

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sohappy

how does it work with the v5 document? if you buy a damaged car in uk the DVLA holds the v5 until the vechicle is repaired but you need it straight away to import it and pay the vrt?

sohappy wrote: »
    how does it work with the v5 document? if you buy a damaged car in uk the DVLA holds the v5 until the vechicle is repaired but you need it straight away to import it and pay the vrt?

Cat d you get v5 when you purchase it - some cat c cars need a VIC and MOT before you can apply for the V5 or log book

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

+1 on the VRO not taking damage into account. They used to do so but people were taking the piss. Now anyone can appeal the VRT figure with the VRO in respect of anything they feel is valid and poossibly get a discount but it's at the discretion of the officer and the variation of the amount is very small.

Advertisement