Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arrah feck! (RAM)

Options
  • 14-01-2008 12:38pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Well, I got the machine re-built (spec below) in it's new house and fired in my 4GB of RAM (Corsair Domminator PC8500) and then began my problems...

Starts to load windows when I hit the switch and will sometimes show a blue screen and most of the time just hangs after the "loading" screen (i.e. the one with the logo and the progress bar along the bottom). What puzzles me is that the BIOS sees that there are 4 GB of RAM without any difficulty and the timings etc are all as they should be (I haven't fupped around with any of that). I thought it may have been Windows or hard disk problems - tried a re-install and it hung and put a brand new hard disk in and it hung at the same point as before on the install. One of the things I noticed (clutching at straws here I think) is that there are 2 different versions of the RAM - 1.2 and 2.3 (they were bought 8 months apart). I've been trying various combinations of the ram into different slots and only once did it boot all the way into windows (the 2 1.2 dimms), but when I tried again, nothing.

Any thoughts you ladies and gents might have greatly appreciated!

Spec: Asus Striker Extreme (which has just come back from Asus after an unknown death), 4 X 1GB Corsair Domminator PC8500, Seasonic M12 700W PSU, nVidia 8800GTX, WD 500GB hard disk, Antec P900 case.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Definitely give memtest x86 a bash. Fastest way to rule in / out the ram as your culprit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Wierd, would be unusual for all the sticks to have problems - not familiar with the Striker at all, does it have known compatiability problems? Also, like you said about the different versions, this is clutching at straws, but you could try putting a little more voltage into the ram in the bios...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Sounds exactly like a memory issue

What voltage are you giving the memory? Have you tried manually setting the timings? Have you tried a single stick of ram? Have you tried upping the chipset voltage slightly in case it cant handle 4gb on stock settings, some mobo's can't handle 4 sticks 2 well especially 680i chipsets which is what you got. I've not heard of this being an issue while at stock tho.

Advertisement