Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Ford Focus Ghia - 22k - Good deal or not?

Options
  • 14-01-2008 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭

A friend is buying a ford focus and has been offered a new 1.6 ghia automatic (5 door hatch back) for 22k. This looks like a good deal to me.

Any comments?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

As in "brand spanking"??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭randomer

Yes. Unregistered at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Is it the old model?

There is a new focus arriving in March, but from what I can see there are only some cosmetic changes.

maidhc wrote: »
    Is it the old model?

Yeah, the current model. The car is in stock and ready for immediate delivery. Would it be better to wait for the new one in March?

Further to my previous post, is it more than cosmetic changes?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

The chassis and engines are unchanged(with one or 2 exceptions) but almost everything else has been changed. It is more than the usual facelifts you get in most cars from what I've seen and is changed enough to be called the Mk3 as opposed to the Mk2, which soon to be discontinued Focus. It looks quite like the current Focus though.

Well the list price is €25,750 for a Ghia Auto Focus, and there is delivery and related charges along with metallic paint, so that would usually be a grand, so €22k compared to €26,750 is very good indeed, almost €5k off is a lot for the price, but use the fact that it is soon to be replaced and try to get a little bit more out of them, because when the new stock comes in, nobody is going to buy the old shape car, so they really want to get rid of this car sooner rather than later so chance your arm and try to get a bit more.

FWIW a 1.4 Style Focus with delivery and metallic paint included should retail for about 22k, so you are getting a more powerful and higher spec car for the same money so that is good going by any standards.

Thanks for the feedback.

Also, AFAIK the Auto doesn't get any benefit from VRT reform. so now would be better yes. Does it have any extra spec like leather that wouldn't normally be found in a Ghia or is it just a bog standard Ghia

I don't think it has leather, but I could be wrong. Will ask later. It does have metalic paint, auto wipers with rain sensor, automatic headlights, air con, alloys, but I think they are all standard on the ghia.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Sounds like a good buy to me. By brother bought a new Ghia Focus estate a few years ago - very, very nice.

Good value is my 0.02, and no point in waiting 'til July.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

I've checked the figures, VRT will be going up from 25% to 28% on this car in July so plough ahead, and if you get it registered this week the VRC should be out in time to tax it before February when the 9.5% increase in road tax comes into effect. it's only €39, but all the same, that's a few rock shandys eh;)

The list price in July should be somewhere around €26,800 so its a good saving! and avoiding €600 a year tax....for this year anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Sounds like a good deal to me.

Reasons I'm guessing is that it was ordered for someone who possibily cancelled their order. Also an auto box in a car this size will not appeal to most people in the market for a Focus. The car is probably taking up valuable space on the dealer's forecourt too with the arrival of the revamped model due.

Standard spec Ghia includes auto wipers/lights, air con, front + rear electric windows, 16" alloy wheels, cruise control, quick clear front windscreen, velour seats., side indicators integrated into the door mirrors, leather steering wheel + gear leaver and plastic "wood" effect centre console. Leather is about €2k extra afaik.

The Ghia is great value second hand too as they cost marginally more than a similar Zetec model.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Fine if you actually went out looking for a Ghia auto

Advertisement