Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle a big club ?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Depends how you judge 'big' - trophies, fanbase, revenues etc but Newcastle are nowhere near it and seem to have constant delusions of grandeur, changing their manager so often does not help obviously.

IMHO the big clubs from the PL are all in the CL, with quite a few putting pressure on the big 4 which is great to see.

And Mr Alan Man Utd are currently the 'biggest' club in England without question - current champions, current leaders, largest global fanbase, doubled profits last financial year, largest revenues (I think) and a fantastic & successful history :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

If you look at the International Teams you could say that America are a big team because of the size of their country but they're not because they've never won anything.

As Theboinkmaster said, when it comes to big clubs, look no further than the Champions League, that's where the elite of the modern game play, i.e. Big Clubs.

If you want to break it down further into history, support, size of ground by all means do but it certainly doesn't take away from the fact that a team hasn't won anything in the last 20 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

theres loads of ways to define a big club. you can take it on success or also,things like fan base and general club stature. in my opinion,newcastle are a big club. Clubs that have a history,are big clubs too. But that is just my opinion.

Big clubs,in rough order,please dont confuse Chelseas stature over last 4 years with greatness, but there have a decent history,dispite what all the songs say:D -

United
    Liverpool
    Arsenal
    Newcaslte
    Everton
    Chelsea

after that,hmmm,

Villa are a biggish club,Birmingham are not.
    Spurs are a biggish club, West ham are not.
    etc etc.

Celtic and Rangers are both big clubs. i dont see much difference between them.

Jeez that is rough.
    Dunno how Newcastle are ahead of Everton, Chelsea, Villa or Spurs!!
    Chelsea have won nearly more trophies in the last 3 years than Newcastle ever have (probably a slight exageration!). Villa have twice the amount of trophies that Newcastle have, including a European Cup.
    Is that based purely on attendances?

Okay, I've taken the time break this down into categories. (This was surprisingly therapeutic!)
    (also I've only really looked at the big 4, plus Everton, Newcastle, Villa, Spurs. It could be argued that other should be in there)

Success during the premiership years:
    Man U
    Arsenal
    Chelsea/L'pool

Everton
    Villa (The order of these 4 are fairly debateable)
    Blackburn
    Spurs

Then theres a whole host of teams:
    Leeds (didn't win anything much, but got into the Champions League)
    Leicester (Lge cup and lge cup final in 97, 99 and 00)
    Middleborough (Lge Cup 2004)
    Newcastle (Nothing!)

Overall History (Taken from the list in an earlier post)
    L'pool
    Man U
    Arsenal
    Villa
    Spurs
    Everton
    Chelsea
    Newcastle

Even this is fairly debatable, as it depends on what trophies you put most value on. For example the majority of Spurs trophies are FA Cups, whereas the majority of Evertons and Leagues.

Attendances (This season)
    Man U (75k)
    Arsenal (60k)
    Newcastle (50k)
    L'Pool (43k)
    Sunderland(!) (42k)
    Man City (42k)
    Chelsea (41k)
    Villa (39k)
    Everton (36k)
    Spurs (35k)

Again this is slightly flawed as a lot of it depends on the stadium size and fan base.

Fan Base
    Not really sure how to list this, so my analysis is as follows:
    Newcastle - pop 260,000. Teams 1
    London - pop 7,500,000. Teams 5
    Birmingham - pop 2,200,000. Teams 2
    Manchester - pop 2,200,000. Teams 2
    Liverpool - 900,000. Teams 2

So it would seem that Newcastle has a lot smaller fan base than the London teams (and any of the other teams for that matter), although obviously there's a lot of other teams in London outside the premiership (example Charlton) that would have quite large fan bases.
    Obviously that means that for a city population of 260,000, a weekly attendance ave of 50k is quite good.

So after all of that what have I decided? Nothing much really!! Just a sh1t load of useless info!! But here's my overall list...
    1st and 2nd: Man U / L'pool
    3rd Arse
    4th Chelsea
    5th Villa (I'm slightly biased!)
    6th Everton
    7th Spurs

Somewhere else: Newcastle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :D:D:D

Good shtuff OCH, or shud we call you Stato ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Newcastle (Nothing!)

Fan Base
    Not sure what you're getting at here. London has 13 league teams. And how come Newcastle don't get kudos for qualifying for the Champions League? And not getting relegated!

Okay, I've taken the time break this down into categories. (This was surprisingly therapeutic!)
    (also I've only really looked at the big 4, plus Everton, Newcastle, Villa, Spurs. It could be argued that other should be in there)

Man U
    Arsenal
    Chelsea/L'pool

Everton
    Blackburn
    Spurs

Newcastle (Nothing!)

Overall History (Taken from the list in an earlier post)
    L'pool
    Man U
    Arsenal
    Villa
    Spurs
    Everton
    Chelsea
    Newcastle

Even this is fairly debatable, as it depends on what trophies you put most value on. For example the majority of Spurs trophies are FA Cups, whereas the majority of Evertons and Leagues.

Attendances (This season)
    Man U (75k)
    Arsenal (60k)
    Newcastle (50k)
    L'Pool (43k)
    Sunderland(!) (42k)
    Man City (42k)
    Chelsea (41k)
    Villa (39k)
    Everton (36k)
    Spurs (35k)

Again this is slightly flawed as a lot of it depends on the stadium size and fan base.

Fan Base

So it would seem that Newcastle has a lot smaller fan base than the London teams (and any of the other teams for that matter), although obviously there's a lot of other teams in London outside the premiership (example Charlton) that would have quite large fan bases.
    Obviously that means that for a city population of 260,000, a weekly attendance ave of 50k is quite good.

So after all of that what have I decided? Nothing much really!! Just a sh1t load of useless info!! But here's my overall list...
    1st and 2nd: Man U / L'pool
    3rd Arse
    4th Chelsea
    5th Villa (I'm slightly biased!)
    6th Everton
    7th Spurs

Somewhere else: Newcastle

What about global fan base and revenues? list is meaningless IMHO due to the subjectivity of 'big'

Man U
    Arsenal
    Chelsea/L'pool

Everton
    Blackburn
    Spurs

Newcastle (Nothing!)
    Why is it people constantly forget that Blackburn actually won the Premiership? if you break it down in just this catagory alone then it goes like this:

Man U
    Arsenal
    Chelsea
    Blackburn

Then:
    Liverpool
    Spurs
    Villa
    Everton
    Newcastle

Mr Alan wrote: »
    rough order is right!

switch those two around and ya might be onto something! ;)

Of all of the fans on this site who are obsessed with another club that they dont support u take the cake!! :)

I am somewhat obsessed with newcy tho, cos I went to skool with 3 Newcastle fans and listenin to them got Newcastle the nickname of Real Madrid in our school. Delusional.

• Advertisement

Newcastle? A big club?
    Everyone: Oh no you're not!
    Newcastle fans: Oh yes we are!

[and repeat to infinity and beyond]

Why is it people constantly forget that Blackburn actually won the Premiership? if you break it down in just this catagory alone then it goes like this:

Man U
    Arsenal
    Chelsea
    Blackburn

Then:
    Liverpool
    Spurs
    Villa
    Everton
    Newcastle

I hadn't forgotten they won the premier league. I was talking about success in ALL competitions since 92/93. Blackburn only really did well the year they won the league (they also have a league cup from that time I think).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Putting Blackburn ahead of Liverpool is actually 1 of the most hilarious things I've heard anyone say on this forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Football started in 1992

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

DSB wrote: »
    Putting Blackburn ahead of Liverpool is actually 1 of the most hilarious things I've heard anyone say on this forum.

A list of clubs who have won the Premiership, or won 1 of their last 4 games...

;)

Ah thank goodness the club I support have won 3 and drawn 1 of our last 4 then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Ah thank goodness the club I support have won 3 and drawn 1 of our last 4 then.

Im aware you support Villa :) Come Monday, I predict a that 3 to become a 4...

I've a good feeling about it myself.

Archimedes wrote: »
    Im aware you support Villa :) Come Monday, I predict a that 3 to become a 4...
    Stuff yiz. This time.

Savman wrote: »
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :D:D:D

Good shtuff OCH, or shud we call you Stato ;)

Surely you mean OCD?
    PHB wrote: »
    Football started in 1992
    FACT!

I put that list being clubs who had won the Premiership. Blackburn have won it and Liverpool have not is that incorrect? Hence Blackburn go into the list that the OP posted about success since the PREMIERSHIP began?? And Liverpool do not. So i dont see the hilarity.

PHB wrote:
    Football started in 1992

If u had noticed i cut out a part of the original post which talked about success since the Premiership began. I included Blackburn into the list of the 4 teams who've won it since it started. Nothing else.

I have since noticed from re-reading the OP that the list included success in all other competitions since then but I had edited from the Premiership point of view.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i really believe Barnet FC are underrated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

people who think that only success matters are seriously midlead. i mean,look at QPR,multi million Formula owners. lets say,they get a massive injection of cash and suddenly,within 18 months have a world class team that is challenging for all the major honours. would that make them a big club?? no

newcastle is a big clud and so is everton. hell,even leeds and forest are big clubs,the pedigree and status is there. nothing on here will change my mind on that.

IMO

Liverpool, Man Utd and Arsenal are HUGE clubs.

The likes of Villa, Everton, Spurs, Newcastle, Forest and Leeds are all pretty big clubs. They've all won European trophies, played in Europe a lot, have big stadiums that usually fill etc.

Villa and Everton could have been huge but faded out by the start of the Premiership.

Don't know what to make of Blackburn. A big club with very few fans I guess.

Forgot about Chelsea and Man City.

Meh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Surrounding all the speculation on the next Newcastle manager with names like Mourinho being mentioned and so on . Is it just me or does anybody else think Newcastle are not a big club. I mean they have great support although i did meet the fans on one occasion and they had nothing but bad things to say about the Irish (being polite)

But they seem to be in this illusion that they are one of the superclubs of the UK. When asked , what have they done ? Well nobody has an answer for that as they have done nothing . They have had some of the greatest strikers in the world play for them but they have done nothing .

If we are measuring by croud size Sunderland are up there also .

Personally i see them as a mid table team with delusions of grandeur.

What does anybody else think ?
    Why is it people constantly forget that Blackburn actually won the Premiership?
    Man U
    Arsenal
    Chelsea
    Blackburn
    Then:
    Liverpool
    Spurs
    Villa
    Everton
    Newcastle

People forget cause its a long time ago now, and they have a ****e stadium, ****e fanbase and have done nothing since.
    Of all of the fans on this site who are obsessed with another club that they dont support u take the cake!! :)

In fairness Neil my old flower, i simply pointed out that Liverpool are the most successful club ever in England. No denying that. Even by you.
    I put that list being clubs who had won the Premiership. Blackburn have won it and Liverpool have not is that incorrect? Hence Blackburn go into the list that the OP posted about success since the PREMIERSHIP began?? And Liverpool do not. So i dont see the hilarity.

Now at the top of this post is the post that started this thread, maybe my eyes are acting up, but i see no mention of this being from when the premiership started?

Football did not begin with the arrival of the Premier League, as much as Utd fans and Sky might like to have you believe otherwise.

This thread is about the biggest/most successful clubs in England.

thats us mate, by a mile when you take into consideration that European competition holds the most prestige by a long shot. and we have 5 compared to your 2. me and you'll be in a retirement home when ye reach 5, and thats if ye ever do, which, lets be honest going at the rate you are clocking em up, ye probably wont ;)

18 + 5 > 16/17? + 2.

end of that discussion.

Now onto more important stuff-

Newcastle are not a big club. Big Stadium. Their last manager had a big head. But not a big club.

If they are, i propose Sheffield Wednesday should also be included :)

If you think Blackburn have had more success than Liverpool since the Premiership began, you're really clueless.
    Liverpool: FA Cup wins in 1992, 2001, 2006
    Champions League in 2005
    Uefa Cup in 2001
    European Super Cup in 2001 and 2005
    League Cup in 1995, 2001, 2003

Blackburn: Premier League in 1995
    League Cup in 2002

Thats not even including how many seasons Liverpool have outperformed them in pretty much every competition. Your post was ridiculous at best, and trolling at worst, how does 1 Premiership win have any relevance to who have been the more successful club, which is of course the topic of this thread. I suggest you take those Man Utd coloured blinkers off and start making a slight bit of sense because you're coming off as nothing short of ridiculous.

Yeah but the Premiership is the most important title.

Hahahaha

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Yeah but the Premiership is the most important title.

no, no its not.

the CL/European Cup is where Europes best clubs play. its the one that holds world wide prestige, its the one every player wants to play in, every manager wants to manage in, christ its even the one every fan wants to watch and is also where all the money is.

most important, and by quite a bit too.

the PL only becomes an issue when you havent been able to win it for years and years as with liverpool now.

I probably would say the Premiership is the most important trophy. But I think I'd take the Champions League and like 9 other trophies ahead of it thanks.

• Advertisement

why does it say last post DSB and then when i go in, i'm the last post?

hopefully posting this will rectify the situation!
    (yep it worked, i think boards is sick)

The forum is helping you remember you're gonna owe me 20 euro.

hush

no, no its not.

the CL/European Cup is where Europes best clubs play. its the one that holds world wide prestige, its the one every player wants to play in, every manager wants to manage in, christ its even the one every fan wants to watch and is also where all the money is.

the PL only becomes an issue when you havent been able to win it for years and years as with liverpool now.
    The Champions league means nothing if you can't even win your domestic league.

I agree with you that the CL is definitely where the elite of the elite play but I refer you to my first point.

And as for the Premier League being less important, ask Rafa when he's down the job centre in a few weeks time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

no, no its not.

Oh i've heard it all now...

wat a suprise!!!! a manc and an evertonian disagree! ;)

in every other Italy/Spain the CL is more important, Fergie would trade up the league this year for another CL and Jose got the bullet for never winning it with Chelsea.

as i said, the league only takes on massive importance when its been a long time since you've won it like with Liverpool at the minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

It's all personal point of view. Personally I'll always prefer the league. I know Fergie would trade it for the CL, but thats' just because he hasn't won enough of them. In terms of deciding who the b est team in England is, I was always think the league is the best. If you also win the FA Cup that year, then you are a really really really good team. Winning that and the CL and you are something special.

Leagues test consistancy. Cups test different things, ability to raise you game when it really matters etc + normally tactical awareness. I kinda think a cup win his hollow without a league win to back it up, or at least an extremely close league loss, because then people, including myself, will always put it down to luck.

If the CL was actually a league, then I'd prefer it by far. My issue here is with cups vs. leagues. In England I think most people prefer the league. On the continent most people prefer the CL.

good thing we aint in England so ;)

remember,we aint talking about wat the fans prefer, we are talking about wat makes a club "bigger" and undoubtadly the CL is the bigger trophy (and no smart arses, i dont mean in size, i mean in stature)

Its funny how a thread about Newcastle turns into a Liverpool discussion.

Champions League is not bigger then the premiership. There is more money in the premiership. Liverpool won the CL despite not being champions . Its a Glorified Uefa Cup now .

Liverpool are actually the opposite of Newcastle . They are a big club but under achieve, despite the money they spend.

• Advertisement

actually mr dre, i believe that the thread is about whether or not newcastle are a big club. how can we possibly discuss that if we dont even agree on what constitutes a big club?

Mr Alan in fairness you're only saying the CL is a bigger trophy than the PL because Liverpool have won it - its' not and I fully agree with what PHB said - you can get lucky in a cup but the league is the true test and separates the men from the boys, with UTD being the men obviously and Liverpool being the boys :D

If you think Blackburn have had more success than Liverpool since the Premiership began, you're really clueless.
    Liverpool: FA Cup wins in 1992, 2001, 2006
    Champions League in 2005
    Uefa Cup in 2001
    European Super Cup in 2001 and 2005
    League Cup in 1995, 2001, 2003

Blackburn: Premier League in 1995
    League Cup in 2002

Thats not even including how many seasons Liverpool have outperformed them in pretty much every competition. Your post was ridiculous at best, and trolling at worst, how does 1 Premiership win have any relevance to who have been the more successful club, which is of course the topic of this thread. I suggest you take those Man Utd coloured blinkers off and start making a slight bit of sense because you're coming off as nothing short of ridiculous.
    My post was listing the clubs who've actually won the Premiership in the order of who has won it the most. This post confirms one thing to me and that is that you see what you want to see. i clearly just explained that my post was from a Premiership perspective only, and did not include the Cup competitions, but u chose to ignore that so u could post this rubbish about how i supposedly claimed Blackburn to be more successful than Liverpool. And to call me a troll for it is offensive and shows what kind of fool u are to have ignored the fact that i already explained it was a list of Premiership winners, just so u could get that in.

Mr Alan wrote:
    In fairness Neil my old flower, i simply pointed out that Liverpool are the most successful club ever in England. No denying that. Even by you.
    I never have denied that? but dont u think that its a bit funny that u point this out almost every second post u make. Seems u have a complex about how quickly we're catchin up ;)
    Mr Alan wrote:
    Now at the top of this post is the post that started this thread, maybe my eyes are acting up, but i see no mention of this being from when the premiership started?

No but the original post i quoted had the part where he analysed it from when the Premiership began. So I discussed this topic from that point of view alone and have since been jumped on by DSB who has now twice ignored my pointing this out to him and continued to insist that I meant Blackburn to be more successful than Liverpool since the PL began when I did no such thing.
    Mr Alan wrote:
    Football did not begin with the arrival of the Premier League, as much as Utd fans and Sky might like to have you believe otherwise.
    Again just to reiterate, i never said it did. United have a lot more history than 93 onwards mate, as you'll learn about in Feb if u watch the derby. But again, the reason i was talking from a Premiership point of view alone is because I was quoting anohter poster who originally looked at it from that and was elaborating on his point
    Mr Alan wrote:
    This thread is about the biggest/most successful clubs in England.

thats us mate, by a mile when you take into consideration that European competition holds the most prestige by a long shot. and we have 5 compared to your 2. me and you'll be in a retirement home when ye reach 5, and thats if ye ever do, which, lets be honest going at the rate you are clocking em up, ye probably wont ;)

18 + 5 > 16/17? + 2.

end of that discussion.
    :)
    Speaking of going rates, we'll be hittin 30 before u hit 20, then whatll the argument be?! ;)

Again, particularly to DSB, (who by the way if u resort to callin me a troll over this again i will be reporting your post - dont ignore me when I clearly explain my post just so u can throw in the cheap shots, says an awful lot about your character, or lack of), go back and read my posts in this thread and find the one where I quote the guy talking about the records since the PL startd. i took it from a LEAGUE perspective alone and ignored Cup competitions (particularly the League cup!!) and hence how Blackburn made it onto that list ahead of Liverpool. I NEVER claimed Blackburn or United or anyone else to be more successful than Liverpool so drop that argument from now on and keep it on topic and refrain frompointless ****e about my "knowledge of football being nonexistant cos I think Liverpool < Blackburn" and stick to talking about things i actually said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

it is amazing how many people think football began in 1992 it is obvious it started in 1892;)

Advertisement