Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Optician that does shooting glasses

Options
  • 14-01-2008 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭

Is there anyone in this country that can measure you up for a set of shooting glasses. I know most are available with stock lenses of +.25, +.5 diopter etc. but it's obviously better to get measured up professionally. Ideal plan would be to get the frames abroad, and then get the lenses done here. (ideally). Greater Dublin area preferred. If it's in Tralee or somewhere, it's as easy flying to London and hitting Bisley for the day.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Paul O'Boyle is an optician who used to shoot a lot of ISSF stuff (and crossbow, he was the national champion for a while there if I remember right). He's out in Blackrock at the moment I think, but you should be able to find him in the Golden Pages. Sound guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

I know a few guys who got PolyCarbs with Prescription insert from some guy in Crumlin.

I called him but with my script (+3.75, +5.00) (yes - I'm as blind as a bat even with the glasses on me ) he told me I'd look like Elton John in the good old days by the time they made the lenses.

Gonna have to be contacts inside poolycarbs for me I'm afraid.

Nigel

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

Aye, Ramon Eppel opticians Crumlin Road. www.eppelopticians.com

Got mine there. Polycarbs with inserts, had a look at catalogue while in waiting room saw what looked like what you wanted but dont know if they keep stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bigred

Bananaman wrote: »
    I know a few guys who got PolyCarbs with Prescription insert from some guy in Crumlin.

I'm looking for the ISSF precision style glasses - i.e. blinder on left eye, one small circular lens on right - they dont provide any real protection. I presume the polycarbs you refer to are more for protection on the range for semi pistols/shotguns etc.?

example at:
    http://www.edinkillie.co.uk/ecatalog/champion-olympic-champion-frames-p-132.html?cPath=29

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

bigred wrote: »
    I'm looking for the ISSF precision style glasses - i.e. blinder on left eye, one small circular lens on right - they dont provide any real protection. I presume the polycarbs you refer to are more for protection on the range for semi pistols/shotguns etc.?

example at:
    http://www.edinkillie.co.uk/ecatalog/champion-olympic-champion-frames-p-132.html?cPath=29

Try Miroslav Varga www.euroshooting.eu for the frames. He's very reasonable and has a great selection at affordable prices. My frames with a lens holder and blinder cost €75'ish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

Why not just wear your glasses and close your weak eye.

You haven't seen my glasses!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

You should never close one of your eyes when shooting. Doing so actually causes blurring of vision in the open eye and rapid onset of tiredness. Always shoot with both eyes open, wearing a blinder is also good, but it should be opaque rather than black.

rrpc wrote: »
    You should never close one of your eyes when shooting. Doing so actually causes blurring of vision in the open eye and rapid onset of tiredness. Always shoot with both eyes open, wearing a blinder is also good, but it should be opaque rather than black.

Agreed - makes a huge difference. Up till last week, all I had was a bit of target wedged into the headband of my cap. I picked up a clip-on blinder for my regular glasses on ebay. It's that white translucent stuff and makes a huge difference compared to the target paper. Being able to flip it up out of the way between strings also helps a whole lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

Pilkguns do lenses for Varga frames. See http://www.pilkguns.com/varga.shtml

I bought +0.25 and +0.50 diopter lenses for my 37mm Varga lensholder for 20 dollars each.

What I haven't been able to find is 22/23 mm lenses in +1.00 diopter:(

I asked my optician if I could have them made up here in Ireland, but she seemed to have little interest in following up my enquiry.

• Advertisement
Advertisement