Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat with split personality

Options
  • 14-01-2008 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭

I have a 15 month old cat who's a great character but her behaviour is a little bit strange.

For 6 to 8 weeks at a time she'll be a mischievous little thing as is to be expected for a cat that age. She'll go mental running around the place and play biting and so on and she's great fun but then the change.......for the next month or so she'll be soooooo clingy. Won't let us out of her sight, climbing on top of us, purring, meowing, rubbing her head against any hard object (as if to be scratched by it) and the very strange thing - walking very low to the ground. We have an 8 year old cat as well and I don't remember this kind of thing happening.

Is it normal or is there any explanation for it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭the dee

I heard cats act strangely when they're in heat. They can go into heat every 2 weeks I think!

Behaviour includes lots of mewing, rubbing against things, back arching etc. I'm sure others here would know more than I do but that's what it sounds like to me. Is she spayed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭threebeards

the dee wrote: »
    Is she spayed?

Not yet. That was something we were going to get done soon but didn't see it as urgent because she's only ever in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭the dee

Does this sound like her?

http://cats.about.com/cs/pregnancybirth/ht/oestrus.htm
    Here's How:
    Immediately preceding oestrus, your female cat may become unusually affection, and rub her hind quarters against furniture, other cats, and/or her favorite human.
    The Queen (name for female cats of breeding age) will vocalize loudly. This "calling" may go on for several days, unless she mates.
    She will assume a mating position: head down, forelegs bent, rear quarters raised to expose the perineum ( this raised posture is called lordosis), with the tail raised and held to the side of the body. Her rear legs will tread rhythmically, as if walking in place.
    Queenie may also spray vertical surfaces with a strongly scented fluid. She will accomplish this by backing up to the surface and raising her tail high. The tail may quiver, and she may perfom the rhythmic treading described in step four.
    If your female cat does not mate, she will go into oestrus as often as every two to three weeks, for several months each year, until she either mates or is spayed.
    Tips:
    Unless she is a qualified pedigreed breeder, your female cat should be spayed. It will not only cease the uncomfortable heat cycles, but prevent certain serious medical problems.
    Your veterinarian may be able to give your female cat hormones to stop the oestrus, if spaying is not immediately possible.
    Female cats as young as four months can go into oestrus.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭microgirl

Not yet. That was something we were going to get done soon but didn't see it as urgent because she's only ever in the house.

I'd really recommend you get that done as a matter of urgency. YOU might think she's only ever going to be in the house, but all it takes is 2 seconds of inattention with an open door and she's gone. Plus, it's gotta be damned unpleasant to constantly be coming on heat and have no outlet.

Also, not sure, but would imagine it's a harder op (from the cat's point of view) the older she is. But that could be complete nonsense :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I had to get my little girl done at 4 months as her 4 month old brother was showing an unhealthy interest :eek: so both of the had to be done very young. Best thing i ever did for both of them TBH, you should do it as soon as you can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭threebeards

the dee wrote: »
    Does this sound like her?

http://cats.about.com/cs/pregnancybirth/ht/oestrus.htm
    Here's How:
    Immediately preceding oestrus, your female cat may become unusually affection, and rub her hind quarters against furniture, other cats, and/or her favorite human.
    The Queen (name for female cats of breeding age) will vocalize loudly. This "calling" may go on for several days, unless she mates.
    She will assume a mating position: head down, forelegs bent, rear quarters raised to expose the perineum ( this raised posture is called lordosis), with the tail raised and held to the side of the body. Her rear legs will tread rhythmically, as if walking in place.
    Queenie may also spray vertical surfaces with a strongly scented fluid. She will accomplish this by backing up to the surface and raising her tail high. The tail may quiver, and she may perfom the rhythmic treading described in step four.
    If your female cat does not mate, she will go into oestrus as often as every two to three weeks, for several months each year, until she either mates or is spayed.
    Tips:
    Unless she is a qualified pedigreed breeder, your female cat should be spayed. It will not only cease the uncomfortable heat cycles, but prevent certain serious medical problems.
    Your veterinarian may be able to give your female cat hormones to stop the oestrus, if spaying is not immediately possible.
    Female cats as young as four months can go into oestrus.

That's her described to a T. I just spoke to my wife and we've decided to get her spayed this week. Thanks everyone for your replies.

Advertisement