Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work Wardrobe

Options
  • 14-01-2008 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭

I am always in awe of these women who look immaculate in work, their clothes always seem to be new and stylish while stuff I bought a couple of weeks ago already looks jaded. Has anyone worked out how to have a decent work wardrobe without spending a fortune every month on the boring essentials. I have never been able to manage it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭DubLegs

I know exactly how you feel - I work in a building full of fashionably dressed lawyers and solictors therefore constantly feeling like the scruff!!
    Only thing i've learned to do is keep is simple yet classic - neat black trousers, fitted shirts and always always wear clean shoes!!
    you can always accessorise!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭hello_kitty

Have you tried accessories, ie handbags, jewellery, shoes, scarfs etc. I find a nice splash of colour really lifts boring work clothes and it's so easy to mix and match without it costing a fortune (best to save the money for outside work clothes).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Have you tried accessories, ie handbags, jewellery, shoes, scarfs etc. I find a nice splash of colour really lifts boring work clothes and it's so easy to mix and match without it costing a fortune (best to save the money for outside work clothes).

I actually spend more on accessories than anything else. I have about a 100 scarfs but I just feel like a scruff after wearing something a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭microgirl

Wash things carefully, iron everything, hang everything up as soon as you take it off. Also, don't buy in Penney's or Dunnes, except for the really boring essentials. I live in Penney's but the clothes do look shabby pretty quickly, which for me is fine since I have to wear scrubs to work and I don't care what I look like outside of work :)

But if you really want to look well in work then spend the money on getting a couple of good suits/outfits (and I don't mean big money, M&S or Oasis do nice stuff) and then you can accessorise with cheaper blouses/tops and the like.

If you spend a couple of hundred quid, over the course of a couple of months, on building up a basic work wardrobe that would do you for quite some time, because you wouldn't have to be buying new stuff all the time to replace what looks worn and shabby, because they won't. If that makes any sense :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭hello_kitty

Ok so back to the drawing board!! :)

Invest in a couple of pairs of decent trousers and then buy a good few shirts, cardigans and jumpers in a variety of colours (zara, h&m, dunnes, newlook, awear etc) so you can mix and match without feeling like you're wearing the same stuff over and over.
    There's a lot to be said for trousers and a crisp white shirt, with just a small bit of colour (scarf shoes or bag).
    I know how you feel, after 8years of wearing a work uniform its such a shock to have to choose clothes to wear to work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭catyb20

www.freemans.ie Do gorgeous clothes for work and any other occassion you can think of! Thay are absolutely fantastic and have a wide variety of clothes at great value. They have the more expensive brands like warehouse, miss sixty etc and then cheaper brands such as Todays Women (which is of great quality)

You should take a look at the website (they're quick to deliver too)!

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

River Island does some lovely work gear....I got a lovely dress in there yesterday, the sales on now too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

have to agree, fitted shirts and ironing and most importantly decent shoes.

Make sure that you try and get clothes that won't be effected by washing them, i.e. aren't likely to fade or go out of shape easily.

as a bloke I can't really comment on this, but hair and make up would also play a major role

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭what2do

Next can be good if you manage to get things in their sale which is great value... although their trousers only seem to suit some people!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Next and Marks and spencers are good for trouser suits and shirts and stuff. Some Dorothy Perkins clothes are good quality.

I think when your make up is done and your hair looks good you are half way there.

Good shoes are a must.

• Advertisement

To be honest I kind of what to get away from the traditional trouser suit, its looks horrible after a while. I am dying to know how some women manage to look like they have spent thousands on work clothes, well come to think of it they probably have spent alot of money. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

jsb wrote: »
    have to agree, fitted shirts and ironing and most importantly decent shoes.

I despise ironing so much, probably because no matter how much I iron a shirt it still looks creased somewhere. Thank the lord for being in a casual office these days, I'm gona get some shock when I go back to the real world but hopefully by then I'll have money to buy stuff that isn't from Penneys!!

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭catyb20

Freemans, have some really lovely and trendy work dresses....

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭what2do

Moving away from trouser suits - skirts and knee high boots look smart - once the skirt isn't too short ;) I tend to wear these with a polo cos it is freezing where I work and a funky necklace to lift it a bit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Cazlou

what2do wrote: »
    Moving away from trouser suits - skirts and knee high boots look smart - once the skirt isn't too short ;) I tend to wear these with a polo cos it is freezing where I work and a funky necklace to lift it a bit!

Yeah I gotta agree!! I used to wear skirts and boots in my old job loads!! And was always complimented that I could do it without looking tarty, kinda like in the 60's/70's, with a poloneck and boots, and tights =pretty classy!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

I work in an animation studio - my typical work outfit is jeans and t-shirt and a pair of comfy slippers I change into when I get to work. No makeup and hairstyle is the "I rolled out of bed about 10mins ago" look :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

ztoical wrote: »
    I work in an animation studio - my typical work outfit is jeans and t-shirt and a pair of comfy slippers I change into when I get to work. No makeup and hairstyle is the "I rolled out of bed about 10mins ago" look :D

me = jealous. :D

There's a thread here about women in the defence forces, that would be a deadly job clothes wise - they give you the uniform and tell you which one to wear every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

It used to be like that where I work (IT) but then they brought in a dress code policy but its not really enforced. I usually wear casual trousers and a blouse and a plain jumper or cardigan. The tops with a 'fake' collar and cuffs are really handy IMO. Shoe wise I stick to my Etnies :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

tk123 wrote: »
    It used to be like that where I work (IT) but then they brought in a dress code policy but its not really enforced. I usually wear casual trousers and a blouse and a plain jumper or cardigan. The tops with a 'fake' collar and cuffs are really handy IMO. Shoe wise I stick to my Etnies :D

I can't imagine a dress code ever coming in at the studio - actually at any animation studio, kind hard to be all serious about a dress code when your job is to make cartoons :D

ps I love you signature!

Same in my line...washing is optional ;)
    I have alot of good friends in girly officey enviorments, and IMO their self esteem regarding their looks is lower now, than when they weren't putting so much effort it.
    I'm really glad I'm not in that competative envioroment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

What we should have is what NOT to wear to work - in my place it would be the girls with bellys and tongs hanging out.

Im starting a new job in about three weeks in the marketing department of a bank and I am not sure what kind of wardrobe I need.

The place seemed formal enough when I was there but marketing and PR always seem to have their own rules. I think my appearance will be really important. I have about 400 euro to get a few bits so does anyone know the best places to get formal clothes but with style.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

I've found that the Village in Kildare is really good if you have transport, though you can take the train and a bus runs to it. I get lots of work clothes there, Coast skirts from €30, shirts €20-50, Trousers €30-€60, there's a Monsoon there too, Karen Millen, Clarks for shoes, etc. Basically with €400 I'd get 2-3 skirts/trousers, maybe 2 good shirts and then tops, cardigans and jumpers. Marketing is usually a bit brighter than other depts.
    In general buy decent quality in sales (they last longer), stick to classic cuts or dark colours, both together can be boring and going for trendy and bright is too tacky, one good black suit does go a long way, just brighten it up.
    I always try to bring some of my personality to what I wear. They say that something small about you should stand out everyday so you don't fade into the background and people particularly bosses remember you. I work in sales and meet a lot of accountants so I can't be too jazzy, but that doesn't mean I have to be boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

I love my line of work too - if I want to turn up in jeans and runners, that's grand, but if I want to go nuts and arrive in a dress and boots, dolled up to the nines, that's fine too :) as I won't stand out either way (ie I won't look like a nutter turning up too dressed up, nor will I look totally scabby or out of place if I wear jeans).
    Both looks are totally acceptable, which is great for the days when I couldn't be bothered doing anything beyond pulling on a pair of ripped jeans and converse and a hoodie, and for the days when I feel like dressing all smart and formal in my bestest frocks or suits. However I do tend to try to look somewhat groomed at all times, even if I'm only in jeans - tidy hair, makeup, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Niamho!

Ok so back to the drawing board!! :)

Invest in a couple of pairs of decent trousers and then buy a good few shirts, cardigans and jumpers in a variety of colours (zara, h&m, dunnes, newlook, awear etc) so you can mix and match without feeling like you're wearing the same stuff over and over.
    There's a lot to be said for trousers and a crisp white shirt, with just a small bit of colour (scarf shoes or bag).
    I know how you feel, after 8years of wearing a work uniform its such a shock to have to choose clothes to wear to work

I'd rather have a unifor. beats trying to decide what to wear everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

i usually get stuff in a-wear
    really nice tops and same old trousers and thats it, looks nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭piscean

All dolled up in work now - watched What Not to Wear last night and it inspired me to look good in work today.
    Usually buy my work clothes in A Wear/TopShop/Dunnes - if i'm feeling like putting the effort in I'll wear skirt and shirt or dress but if i'm feeling lazy it'll have to be trousers and a jumper.
    Would love to dress fabulously everyday:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

I have to say i dress very well to work. My new job is supposed to be smart casual (no jeans) but since my previous job was smart i find it hard to be casual. I do the whole, skirts trousers e.t.c I shop in KM some days and Penney’s on other days, Zara for jumpers and skirts, Oasis, Next, Dunnes for trousers, and TM Lewin for shirts.. And i have accessories (scarves-love them)
    I think every girl that dresses smart should have these
    • Sleek black trouser-invest in a good pair!
    • Crisp white shirt
    • Pencil skirt, A-line whichever suits you
    • Black bag
    • Black coat

But then the shoes, bags and coats also matter.. I never do cheap bags; the cheapest would be from KM. Also coats; Dunnes and Savida have really nice classy coats, Sisley.

But then again no point going to all the trouble if your hair is a mess, and your face and nails aren't kept well, it’s a package to aim for

I could go on but jeez i have to stop

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Lux23 wrote: »
    Im starting a new job in about three weeks in the marketing department of a bank and I am not sure what kind of wardrobe I need.

The place seemed formal enough when I was there but marketing and PR always seem to have their own rules. I think my appearance will be really important. I have about 400 euro to get a few bits so does anyone know the best places to get formal clothes but with style.

With 400 euro i would
    • Buy shirts from TM Lewin 1 shirt is 37.50(1 white and any other colour) = €75 And cufflinks too
    • A nice black suit from Oasis, Next, M&S, Zara. Don't forget to get a skirt too = €130
    • Nice t shirts; small tops from Penneys = €40
    • Another decent trouser-brown/grey or both = €80
    • Nice scarves for tie-rack= €20
    • stockings from M&S = €10
    • Shoes from Debenhams/Nine-west(comfy but high heeled) = €80
    • Nice black bag. = €......
    Right reading this you would be spending way over 400 but look at it as an investment :)

• Advertisement

Thanks for that ladies.

I think I will have a look at that place in Kildare for some clothes.

Advertisement