Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Huge delay on emails!!

• 14-01-2008 1:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,736 ✭✭✭

Wasn't sure where to post this but I'm experiencing huge delays from when I send an email to the receipient receiving it.

(I'm on Vista and sending from Windows Mail, an iolfree.ie email address and my broadband is Clearwire.)

eg. Yesterday afternoon I emailed some work stuff off. But this morning I get a phone call asking if I'd sent the report! Had to resend it from my Yahoo email. The original still has not arrived!

And last week I emailed myself a photo and it arrived this morning!!! :eek:

I've sent emails to my Yahoo account this morning, no attachments or anything, and they still haven't arrived.

I got onto iolfree.ie about it but in the meantime does anyone have an idea what the problem could be? I know other iolfree.ie email users are not having the same problems.

Any advice appreciated! :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Username!

Turn off all your Firewalls, Anti-Virus and Security software - see if that makes a difference because it seems like a software issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Lazarus2.0

If the emails are being reported as 'Sent' it's much more likely to be a problem with the email server than an issue with your PC , especially if the report you sent this morning from your yahoo account went through ok and was sent from the same machine .

I'm sure some security applications will block incoming/outgoing mail if not configured correctly but I cant see security filtering causing a noticeable delay - they work on a yes/quarantine/no basis as a rule . As such I wouldnt advise disabling firewall or antivirus ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,736 ✭✭✭sudzs

Thanks for the replies! :)

No, I didn't attempt to turn off any of my protection! Too terrified to try as I am no expert!! :o

I did uninstall my AVG anti spyware as I was advised I might have problems if I had that and also windows defender. But removing it has made no difference.

The only thing is that when I open the Security centre and click on Malware Protection, then "Show me the anti-virus programmes onthis computer" it's showing AVG but also McAfee. They both appear to be "on" but when you highlight either, there's no turn off option, just turn on but it is ghosted (?) and unclickable!!

Similar story in the anti-spyware section.

When I decided to get AVG I used the McAfee removal tool with no problem.

Help help!!! :confused:

See if McAfee still exists on the system from the All Programs section of the Start Menu.

The easy way would be to start your computer in "Safe Mode with Networking" and trying again, if the emails are still slow... then you know it's not your software that's the problem.

See if McAfee still exists on the system from the All Programs section of the Start Menu.

Definately no sign of it there.
    The easy way would be to start your computer in "Safe Mode with Networking" and trying again, if the emails are still slow... then you know it's not your software that's the problem.

aaaaaagh! :eek: How do I do that??! I managed to really phuk-up my last computer by messing around with my Norton and had "to get a man in" to fix it!!! So really reluctant to do anything that might get a teeny bit complicated in case I do all the wrong things in a blind panic!

• Advertisement

It's very simple...

* Restart your computer and when you get to your first boot screen (saying Dell, HP etc.) keep tapping F8.

* This will load up a new menu, select "Safe Mode with Networking" (if not visable, press F8 once more) and then select your Windows from the list by pressing Enter.

* This will load up Windows in safe mode, it has limited amount of device drivers so it elliminates a lot of processes.

* Login to your account as normal, continue with Safe Mode when it asks about System Restore and then check your email with Outlook as normal.

* If it's still slow, you will now know its not a software issue. Restart computer as normal.

Thanks a million for that! Might try it in the morning. But fingers crossed IOL will get back to me before then having fixed it for me!! :D

Emails come in o.k, it's just the one's I've sent. They're all in my sent folder instantly but the recipient doesn't get them for hours and hours.... or weeks as was the case with a photo I'd sent!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭monkey tennis

I very much doubt that this has anything to do with local software. As already clarified earlier in the thread, a firewall will either block or pass, not delay for several hours.

Try bypassing local software by sending a mail by telnetting to IOLfree's SMTP server on port 25. Google for 'SMTP through telnet' or whatever for instructions.

If you have any other mail accounts (e.g. GMail) try setting up your mail client to use this and see if you get the same problem.

Not true, email scanners can be a real pain... esp. that McAfee one.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

try sending to an address like autoreply@indigio.ie

make you sure emails leave the outbox and you can see them in sent items

• Advertisement

Thanks a million everyone for the tips and advice!

And just found out what the problem is. I got on to Clearwire just on the off chance it might be something to do with them. And it is!!

They have been bombarded with spam from one of their customers and it's bunged up their system. They are still deleting it all and it should be fixed in a few days.

It's a bloody pain in the bum but at least it isn't my anti-virus software causing it. Had enough nightmares with that before! :rolleyes:

Thanks again! :D

Advertisement