Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Ireland

Options
  • 14-01-2008 1:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi,

Am thinking about leaving Ireland, am getting sick of it tbh.

Just wondering if anyone else has any advice on where to start, what too look for, etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

An airport :p

What do you want to do, where do you want to go, what languages do you speak, what skills do you have. You got to be a bit more specific.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭dewsbury

What country?

What language?

Will you live in a country where you don't speak the language?

If not the why not list all the countries that speak english that you do not need a visa for???

mmmmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭me87_ie

More thank likely London, would love to go to Canada or US but visa would be a problem as I more than likely wouldnt count as a "skilled worker".

Unfortunately the only thing I have is a Leaving Cert and about 2 years joint work experience in customer services, admin and retail.

I wouldnt mind going to a country where I dont speak the language because I find it fairly easy to learn languages, France would probably be good because I already have LC level french.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

me87_ie - you'll never make it out with this sense of direction ;)

Moving to Abroad, the forum for people who want to move Abroad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

me87_ie wrote: »
    More thank likely London, would love to go to Canada or US but visa would be a problem as I more than likely wouldnt count as a "skilled worker".

Unfortunately the only thing I have is a Leaving Cert and about 2 years joint work experience in customer services, admin and retail.

I wouldnt mind going to a country where I dont speak the language because I find it fairly easy to learn languages, France would probably be good because I already have LC level french.

If you want to go to canada why don't you apply for this http://canada.usit.ie/nonstudent_programme/

It will at least give you 12 months there.... and its a nice place too :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

what exactly is it about ireland that you dont like/want? i think the most important thing in finding a new place to live is one where the things that bug you about home are less of an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭me87_ie

If you want to go to canada why don't you apply for this http://canada.usit.ie/nonstudent_programme/

It will at least give you 12 months there.... and its a nice place too :)

Yea I was thinking of doing that, it's just gonna probably have to be put off till next year at this stage, as the programme opens on the 25/01 and the place are usually filled pretty quick....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 smithdogg AU

Go to Australia!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Forget London,

You'll end up living FAR outside the city with the wages you'd be on in a customer service job.

What about Holland, everyone speaks english, massive expat community, on top of that your on Europes doorstep.

Get a train to anywhere :D

You'd need a good bit of money saved for Australia, 5 - 6 K at least to get you started.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Anywhere in Europe would be easiest. No problems with work visa's and only a quick flight away from Ireland. Languages are easy to pick up when you are living in the country for a few months, do a course before you leave or when you arrive and you'll have enough to get you by after a few weeks. Lots of jobs in these countries that require native English speakers. For example, teaching English with Berlitz, you don't need any previous teaching experience and classes are from a fixed manual and all in English. No native language required, just need to be a native English speaker. Good way to meet new people as well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement