Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If Meteor Gets sold....

• 14-01-2008 3:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭

From http://www.telegeography.com/cu/article.php?article_id=21236&email=html It says that 3 Ireland are looking to buy meteor. Now my question is what would happen if 3 did buy Meteor. Would they get rid of the meteor brand all together? ,the price plans everyone topping up with 083... any ideas out there? :) they would have to sell one of their 3 G license

Is selling Meteor to 3 Ireland good for Meteor customers ? 12 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    NO
    100% 12 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

Well it would be both beneficial and non-beneficial in certain aspects. First of all, Meteor would get 3g and mobile broadband and some really high end phones quicker.
    The downside is that customer care would undoubtedly be moved to india and there would be more trouble than ever with a larger customer base. Thats just a quick assessment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

We'd probably lose the very good value Free Txts/CAlls as well.

EDIT: Competition is always healthier anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭xanthor

Considering the poor reputation 3 have in the area of customer service, i'd definitely be concerned if i were on Meteor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

i think alot of people switched to meteor just because of price and price alone...if 3 puts the price back up then il be switching back to vodafone for sure!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

the first time i hear an indian voice when i call 1905 i'm going to cry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    We'd probably lose the very good value Free Txts/CAlls as well.

EDIT: Competition is always healthier anyway.

I doubt 3 would be able to end that legally - since our original contract had those terms included... at the very least it'd be very embarrassing public relations wise. They could legally stop the offer for new customers though.

Just like how I'm still getting monthly extra credit as a reward scheme (this scheme was phased out a few years ago). Basically every time I top up by 15 euro I get 3 euro extra :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭Pyro Boy

I'm on the same call plan... that's what i was worried about 3 taking them away or being forced to change to a new call plan.:eek: Would they get rid of the good reputation of meteor and logo ... most people would move to some other network, here's hoping that meteor don't sell

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Better keep these free calls and texts, save me thousands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

If 3 were to purchase Meteor I'd have to take a serious long luck at moving back to O2 for my primary calls.

I could not stand dealing with 3 for customer service, or any kind of serious service based on my experience with their broadband and prepay.

Competition is good, Meteor don't need 3G!

Who knows though ...

who said yes and why?

• Advertisement

who said yes and why?
    I assume those who want 3G.

Yep.. 3G is only useful if you have a phone with a massive screen - like an iPhone for example. Even then, the cost of using it on a regular basis (unless via wireless) is prohibatively expensive.

I pay €50 a month to Meteor for free calls and texts (for life) and get 300 any network minutes on top of that. Saves me a fortune! Is there not some clause in the terms though that says they can change the package/price as they want, as long as they advise you in advance though? (There normally is) :(

I believe the clause states they can do what they like but if it's disavantageous (spelling?) to you then you have the right to cancel the contract.

i.e. you can't force them to keep offering that deal, but they can't offer you something worse.

random wrote: »
    I assume those who want 3G.

well in that case they should join 3 if they want to put up with thrindia

well in that case they should join 3 if they want to put up with thrindia
    This is true. Or O2 could offer free calls & texts and solve all problems in one :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

A takeover will have to get past the regulator also. Funny thing is Meteor is actually the most profitable arm of Eircom, i'd be surprised if they let it go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

prendy wrote: »
    i think alot of people switched to meteor just because of price and price alone...if 3 puts the price back up then il be switching back to vodafone for sure!
    I've never considered 3 expensive, some great deals, especially there bill pay options, and on 3pay 5c texts to ANY network all the time and you dont have to top up by a minimum of whatever a month.

while I doubt this deal would affect me too much because im already with 3 though would get free calls to a lot more people.

It would be a lot worse if vodafone or O2 bought meteor though, they already have too much market share each.

How much market share have 3 actually got anyway? I only know ONE person who's with them.

The network that offers free txts to all networks first will clean up I reckon.

Mr.S wrote: »
    o2 have that for weekends only. im sure its only a matter of time before meteor offers free texts to all networks.

i don't see that happening tbh. they'd make a big loss on it because they have to pay the other network for each text

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    How much market share have 3 actually got anyway? I only know ONE person who's with them.

The network that offers free txts to all networks first will clean up I reckon.
    Id say closing in on around 4-5% largely helped by the skype phone

Also likes vimes said competition has done loads but can't see any network offering free texts to all networks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

1huge1 wrote: »
    Id say closing in on around 4-5% largely helped by the skype phone

Also likes vimes said competition has done loads but can't see any network offering free texts to all networks.
    how many people are actually happy with three though and how many problems are just dealt with by customers throwing the phone away or doing without the service rather than ring india? so three may have many handsets in circulation but how many of them are in regular use??

foggy_lad wrote: »
    how many people are actually happy with three though and how many problems are just dealt with by customers throwing the phone away or doing without the service rather than ring india? so three may have many handsets in circulation but how many of them are in regular use??

this is a good point considering ireland has >100% mobile penetration

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I can't see a single operator being allowed to hold two 3G licences at the same time though. Meteor has a 3G licence and is about to roll out 3G services, the cells are already on air, they're just not open to users yet.

Comreg would more than likely force 3 to sell their existing network licence if they were to purchase Meteor.

Honestly though, I can't see 3 picking them up. It's more likely some bigger EU telco would jump in like T-Mobile or Orange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

Three buying meteor and then changing tarrifs to ones that would be at disadvantage would certainly be advantageous to customers who had taken out contracts or renewed them and taken high end handsets.

They'd be able to terminate contracts without penalty and keep the handsets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I really don't see this happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Most likely, just like when Eircom purchased Meteor, very little change for the average Meteor customer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Looking forward to seeing what they offer in the line of 3g services when they finally launch. Was with them years ago but could be swayed to move back when they launch 3g.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Rory B

I really cannot see 3 buying them, I don't think Comreg would allow it, lack of competition etc.., the only interest three have is that meteor are currently rolling out a wcdma/hsdpa network launching later in the year, 3 are probably scared they will lose most of there subcriber base when Digiweb (another 3G net) launches later in the year also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭FergalBoards.ie

Meteor do have a wonderfully friendly sounding help staff.

I don't want some eejit supervisor trying to figure out who I am and persecuting some staff member or marking my account for "special attention", so what I am about to say will be necessarily vague.

I have contacted Meteor over the last year on four issues:

Issue number one, no one had a clue what I was talking about when I quoted verbatim from their website. Refused to believe that such a thing existed, even though I was quoting from their material!

Issue number two, no one could help. They referred me to a shop. The shop called the helpline. Issue eventually resolved by paying someone competent to do it for me. But I should have been able to get help from Meteor.

Issue number three. Was told they were aware of the issue. Was told someone would call me back. Several days later I followed up. The operative I spoke to apologized for no one getting back to me, because my case had been marked "resolved". As I have a Voda a/c too, I just use Voda for this particular issue now. I couldn't be bothered waiting for them to do their job and figuring out who to blame.

Issue number four. Was told I would have to wait upto 10 days to get it solved. When I complained that this was too long, they did admittedly get back to me in 2 days. Too late, I already solved it by using the internet.

Meteor aren't a bad company as phone companies go...it's just they're all useless. Whether they are based in India or not, if you have a difficulty you'd better not count on them to solve it for you.

Meteor's policy to 3G so far has been a twin track approach of promising great things in the future while at the same time hoping that it will all go away. It's not realistic. That's why I say 3 will be an improvement. You can't not have 3G in an urban environment. The networks just get too crowded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

prendy wrote: »

Ditto. Meteor is great on price, very poor on handsets though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

foggy_lad wrote: »

I actually am happy with three, I know what I'm doing and can solve most problems in store. Yes I agknowledge that its frustrating dealing with their "customer support" but for my pattern of usage then they offer by far the best deal.

I've given up on somethings like getting fring to work on their mobile broadband but I just carry a skypephone with me these days. I only paid around 60 euro for it so i don't mind.

The next dilema for me is what to do regarding an upgrade. Based on what they have on the UK network theres nothing coming out that I'll be interested in. Thinking Sonyericsson P1i or a T650i. I'll take an upgrade off them latter in the year and sell it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,352 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I'd like to see Threes mobile data packages merged with Meteors customer service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭brendanuk

How do Three's compare with meteors data add-ons?

Meteor
    Data Add-On Unlimited Unlimited * € 30.00
    Data Add-On 250MB 250 € 9.99

* Fair Use Policy applies. See T&C's

Just had a look

Three
    http://www.three.ie/priceplans/addons.htm
    Data Add-On Unlimited Unlimited € 19.99
    Data Add-On 250MB 250 € 9.99
    Data Add-On 100MB 100 € 5.99

http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/connect/O2/Home/Personal/Price+plans/Pay+monthly/Add+ons
    Mobile web €5 per MB €5.00 per month
    10GB €30.00

Vodafone
    http://www.vodafone.ie/planscosts/paymonthly/addons/
    500 MB per month €9.99

If 3 purchased Meteor I'd be back to Vodafone in an instant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

would it be possible fro 3 to take away the free texts. Is this not what people have joined meteor for??
    Are they even gonna buy them??

• Advertisement

Walkman wrote: »
    would it be possible fro 3 to take away the free texts. Is this not what people have joined meteor for??
    Are they even gonna buy them??
    Doubtful, there lifetime as far as I know

i don't see that happening tbh. they'd make a big loss on it because they have to pay the other network for each text

I guarantee we will see Free Texts to all networks. Sooner than you think too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Jeapy

Whatever happens, I'd NEVER go back to Vodafone! Iandian Customer Services would probably more efficient!

chrislad wrote: »
    I guarantee we will see Free Texts to all networks. Sooner than you think too.

your points are intriguing to me and i would like to subscribe to your newsletter. but seriously, do you have any more details on that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭petals

That's crap I want to keep my free texts thanks very much!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

If Metoer are in fact taken over, the free texts will not be removed.. It is responsible for Meteor really making in roads and this was reflected by the fact that Vodafone introducing a similar offer..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

1huge1 wrote: »
    Doubtful, there lifetime as far as I know

Id imagine if they rebranded that might get around the for life clause though wouldnt it? You wouldnt be with meteor then.

your points are intriguing to me and i would like to subscribe to your newsletter. but seriously, do you have any more details on that?

looks like we didn't have to wait that long to find out

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055228201

skywalker wrote: »
    Id imagine if they rebranded that might get around the for life clause though wouldnt it? You wouldnt be with meteor then.
    But id imagine they'd lose a hell of a lot of customers very fast if that happened, vodafone or O2 would offer the deal and 3 would lose all those customers, so basically I can'y see them losing there free texts
    the problem 3 would have would be offering the same deal to their current customers (we dont want to be left out)
    of course this is all just speculation, we have no idea who is going to buy meteor really. Denis O Brian could make a return

looks like we didn't have to wait that long to find out

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055228201

It's a good offer. Found out about it a couple of days ago. Can't wait to see what Meteor do to come up against it. Other off network calls are expensive at 49c though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Rory B wrote: »
    3 are probably scared they will lose most of there subcriber base when Digiweb (another 3G net) launches later in the year also.

4G.

Advertisement