Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sony MP3 players

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

Sony mp3's used to be awful (poor navigation, low battery life and the worst software ever designed) but most if not all of these issues have been corrected.

The model you have chosen got a very good review in yesterdays times and it is one I've been considering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭event

cheers, might get one of them this week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

This is slightly OT, but is still regarding Sony Walkmans.
    Is the one in the link provided the biggest one currently available? I have the HD5 and wanna upgrade, but that was 20GB and the biggest I can see is 8GB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,681 ✭✭✭✭fits

I have the 8GB player A818 and I have to say I love it! Its the first MP3 player I've owned, but the ease of use and sound quality have really impressed me. Its really dinky too.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Currently reviewing the A818, gotta say it's absolutely taken my breath away - Sony DAP's used to be god awful, due to the software - but the A818 is nearly perfect.

It maxes out at 8gb. HDD DAP's are a dying breed. Flash is where it's at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Vorrtexx

I own the NW-A1000 which is an old model now. Have it about 2yrs. The sound quality was really good and the player was of a pretty solid build quality. However the menu navigation was slow as hell and don't get me started on the software, it was some of the worst stuff of all time. I'm pretty sure this was a HDD player too. I think this model came after the HD5

I'm currently in the process of upgrading to a Meizu M6 SL 8GB as I hear the sound quality is supposed to be pretty good with these and a supposedly long battery life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Mactard wrote: »
    Currently reviewing the A818, gotta say it's absolutely taken my breath away - Sony DAP's used to be god awful, due to the software - but the A818 is nearly perfect.

It maxes out at 8gb. HDD DAP's are a dying breed. Flash is where it's at.

fyi was asking in the Sony Centre yesterday and there'll be 16gb version out in a month. Apparently. I think I'll wait for that.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

fyi was asking in the Sony Centre yesterday and there'll be 16gb version out in a month. Apparently. I think I'll wait for that.

Deadly, I'll have to look into that myself.... That capacity boost would make the second best mid-range flash player even better :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,019 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

fits wrote: »
    I have the 8GB player A818 and I have to say I love it! Its the first MP3 player I've owned, but the ease of use and sound quality have really impressed me. Its really dinky too.

The current Sony range of players are fantastic with the A818 being an absolute gem. Stunning sound quality, a decent set of earphones in the box as the earphones you get with the player are sold seperately for around €40, slim design, very ergonomic and excellent battery life.
    They finally dropped SonicStage and their players are just going to go from strength to strength.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

that's great to hear - was going to buy the 8gb one but 16gb would be fantastic!

/me counts down the days

• Advertisement

that's great to hear - was going to buy the 8gb one but 16gb would be fantastic!

/me counts down the days

I'll see if I can confirm that 16GB and a release date for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 LesRitaMitsouko

On the point of buying Sony MP3 player. Have a set of speakers at home, standard jack plugin. What do I need to hook up the two? Smn mentioned Argos but I can't seem to see what I need! Ideas??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

I used to have a Sony NW-HD3 (20 GB) and apart from SonicStage it was an amazing MP3 player. I had it for nearly 3 years until I accidentally fried it (I forgot to adjust the power charger from 12w back to 6w :o).

Anyway I got a NW-A818 (8 GB) before Christmas and I have to say I love it! The sound quality is amazing and it plays MP4 video files too (if you can download ones that actually work!). Also the headphones that you get with them are very good which is a real plus because most bundled headphones are crap. I would throughly recommend it but I have to admit that I am slightly gutted that they are releasing a 16 GB version as I will probably need the extra capacity soon enough. Oh well, maybe I'll get it next Christmas ;)

On the point of buying Sony MP3 player. Have a set of speakers at home, standard jack plugin. What do I need to hook up the two? Smn mentioned Argos but I can't seem to see what I need! Ideas??

Either of these cables depending on the inputs on your speakers:
    AACB004.jpg
    OR
    41C3M7BBJ2L._AA280_.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭event

just to let you know, i picked up one of these, well an NW-A808 for €125 in teh sony centre shop in drogheda, an 8 gig

they have none left, but might be worth checking out the others

that's a great price - though i'm still holding out for the 16 gbs!

Seems there may not be a 16gb version of the A810 coming out, but rather a new model called the A820.... see here: http://www.dapreview.net/comment.php?comment.news.4219

Aw no, if it's a new product i might have to wait months for it :(

might just go for the 8gb instead - *decisions decisions*

Aw no, if it's a new product i might have to wait months for it :(

might just go for the 8gb instead - *decisions decisions*

Maaaaaaaaybe.... but, generally with sony once they announce something it's instore the next day...however, nothing has been announced by sony yet...

Hmm ok. I might see if I could hold on so. *excited child* :D

I could really do with those extra 8 GBs!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 amishfollower

Just wondering what to buy and this sony player is top of my list so far.

I need to listen to music on the go... it's really for the music and some podcasts. don't really care about video that much. and I'm hoping 8gb will be fine.

With regards to podcasts, does anyone know if this sony is a good purchase? I don't really know how podcasts work but I have read some posts on other websites that Podcasts do not work well on this device.

Is an ipod classic/nano/ a better buy given my needs? (touch is too large physically to carry for me) Price is not really important and I dont care about so called image/brand of an apple etc. Just want something that is functional(boring...maybe!!!).

Can anyone help?
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Guys,
    Anyone buy this yet? I hope to get one but have a quick question. I already have Sonicstage installed on my comp and have a crap load of albums in atrac format. Can I still use Sonicstage to transfer music to this walkman or do I need to use windows media player?

Cheers :)

Guys,
    Anyone buy this yet? I hope to get one but have a quick question. I already have Sonicstage installed on my comp and have a crap load of albums in atrac format. Can I still use Sonicstage to transfer music to this walkman or do I need to use windows media player?

If you find an A80X you can use sonicstage, however that model is discontinued and was replaced with the A81X. The A81X does not support Atrac and will not work with sonicstage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Ah crap....

Thanks Mactard!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

I really hope they give some info on a 16gb player soon. My NW-hd3 has a cracked screen and am looking for a replacement with around 16gb of space.:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Guys,

I have one which i got for xmas, absolutely great. Was afraid when it was given to me that it would have sonicstage as had sony before and hated sonicstage.

WOuld recommend this mp3 player to anyone, the navigation is fantastic and it must also be noted that it comes with the best headphones you will get with any mp3 player. They really make the difference.

Advertisement