Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leasehold ownership

• 14-01-2008 3:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭

Can the provision of a service substitute for money in the payment of rent?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I think yes, assuming both parties are agreeable and the service is legal.

However, the Revenue may look at it in a particular way if they feel tax is being avoided.

What does this have to do with "Leasehold ownership"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭johnfás

Because if not then it would not be leasehold ownership and maybe merely a license?

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

There's a lot more to leases vs. licenses than just rent. There shouldn't be any reason why you couldn't make the rent a service instead of money other than its rather weird. I assume you mean short-term leases.

Maximilian wrote: »
    There's a lot more to leases vs. licenses than just rent. There shouldn't be any reason why you couldn't make the rent a service instead of money other than its rather weird. I assume you mean short-term leases.

I mean I'm trying to find the answer for a problem question in my law course :D. It is only one part of the question of course.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Well, rent doesn't have to be money. I mean what is money? Gold would be acceptable and nobody would question that but is it money per se. If it has economic value then it can be given as rent. Deasy's Act doesn't specify it has to be money for example.

I'm pretty sure its mentioned somewhere in Wylie's Landlord & Tenant book. Couldn't tell you where though, its been so long since I read it. If you like I can check for you when I'm in the office tomorrow. I'm pretty sure he quotes a case which might help you.

• Advertisement

Thanks very much for your help!

The basic problem question was a guy rents two rooms in a property he owns out to two seperate barristers. One pays him monetary rent, the other provides him with grinds instead. Then other issues come up such as the one providing grinds subletting her room, but of course in order to do this she will need to have a leasehold interest in the room. Thus I need to ascertain whether or not this is the case. I have the Lyall book, it isn't so clear on the issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭superficies

Providing a service can be rent, provided that is agreed between the parties. But of course, as mentioned above, need to show more than rent: need to show the parties intended the agreement to be in the nature of a lease and that the 'tenant' has exclusive possession of the room. Presumably having established that you would then also have to outline the rules relating to subletting. Remember Lyall may be somewhat out of date here because of the Residential Tenancies Act 2004 - check out Aine Ryall's articles, the PRTB website (they have case law there) and Fiona delondras' book

I should have mentioned the landlord rents the rooms to the two barristers as offices. Thus this is presumably a commercial arrangement rather than residential.

Thank you very much for your help. I was somewhat concerned that the situation may be that of a contractual license, but I think given the fact that the problem question states there are two seperate offices and gives the impression of an intention to form a landlord-tenant relationship, that it is thus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You mentioned offices, but is the property otherwise residential?

If purely commecial the Residential Tenancies Act 2004 wouldn't apply.

The may be an issue regarding the duration of the .... hmmm .... barrister's use of the room to date - 5 year rule.

Advertisement