Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a car while in between insurance

Options
  • 14-01-2008 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am taking a long and winding road towards buying a new car. I am currently car-less and insurance-less. My insurance lapsed in October. I was just wondering what the situation is with test-driving cars. I guess I am covered if I use a car dealer, but what am I to do if I want to go test a car for private sale?

Do I need to sort out some kind of temporary insurance (is this even possible with no policy of my own?), and if so should I go back to the company I had my last insurance with or do I just ring around places like you would normally?

What if I want to go to the UK to buy the car (is that even a runner?)

Any advice is appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

You can't get temporary insurance afaik.

Unless the seller has open drive or similar on his/her policy you can't test drive a car on a public road. Bear in mind too that, in the eyes of the law, a public road is one the public have access to, including industrial estates and shopping centre car parks.

Advertisement