Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My head is sore.

Options
  • 14-01-2008 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

Does anyone else get a sore forehead the day after surfing? Just above my eyebrows is sore to touch, like there is a bruise there. My hood isn't too tight, I didn't get bang at all. Is it the cold or something?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

Me too. But I think mine is from being back in front of a screen:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭conman78

its from all the frowning you do when you get water on your face, in the eyes, reflection of the sun causing you to squint and frown etc for a long period!! thats what i figured caused mine anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I dunno about a sore forehead but I had a splitting headache for around 4 hours yesterday evening after an afternoon surfing. Not the first time its happened either. Maybe its the same problem? I'd love to know what causes it. Could be the glare from the sun, as conman said.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

I'd always just assumed that it was the salt water drying out the skin or something. On the subject of sore heads am I the only person who gets brain freeze in the water in the winter ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭1huge1

Ya it happens me a fair bit, get a blocked nose and headache and the likes

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31 cjs_surf

is it that your sinus's are full of water, you know 2 days later in middle of a meeting you get a gush of water from your nose ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭volker 991

brainfreeze i normal in the winter i always asumed that everyone get it from the cold water :D,but ye :rolleyes:sore forehaed sounds like your sinus you right man, get that after a big swell "east coast big that is"and the aterfall out the nose after the pain :eek: .i had my shoulders stiff for 3 days after a session and i am fit:p:)so i am told by O.H.anyway.anyone coming out fore the 27.01.08 for a morning session in wicklow you know where;)"long walk"have a good felling for that day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Thanks for all the replies, fair play to you.

It feels like a bruise, not behind the skull but a soreness about an inch above my eyebrows, just above the brow ridge.

I don't think its sinuses, I don't have snots, nose or ear problems. I'm not an extremely daring surfer, so I don't tend to spend a lot of time underwater, ten seconds max.

Jees, the splitting headaches sound worse conman, do you wear a hood? Maybe a better hood might sort it out.

CJS, I have had the gush of water allright! Not at a meeting, but at dinner. Lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭gerk86

My head was sore after last weekend alright but that was after a hefty dent to the dome by my surfboard >:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭conman78

Yeah Lightening have a decent enough hood I've been wearing since end of Nov. CSR or something from the Surf Dock. I defo sounds like the old fashioned frown sores your talking about, just above the eyebrows.

My highly efficient research made me realise it was only on sunny or bright days when it seemed to be worse and I'd find myself giving the oul brow a rub so figured its down to some long sessions of frowning!! Try it at your desk there now and see how long you can frown before its uncomfortable, then base that over a 2 hour session!!

Maybe Oil of Olay is the answer....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Oh yeah another thing that it might be is skin irritation if you go rubbing your face and our wearing gloves with a grip surface or just have sand on your hands. I find that my forehead gets very irritated if i'm wearing gloves surfing because i'm constantly brushing hair off my forehead/out of my eyes.

conman78 wrote: »
    My highly efficient research made me realise it was only on sunny or bright days when it seemed to be worse and I'd find myself giving the oul brow a rub so figured its down to some long sessions of frowning!!

You know, as hilarious as it sounds, I think your right. You spent as long as you could in your office frowning, brilliant. You even have a name for them:

"frown sores" :D

I would be more worried about the splitting headaches you get though.

Gerk, I don't know who to feel more sorry for, your board or your head.:)

c - 13 wrote: »
    Oh yeah another thing that it might be is skin irritation if you go rubbing your face and our wearing gloves with a grip surface or just have sand on your hands. I find that my forehead gets very irritated if i'm wearing gloves surfing because i'm constantly brushing hair off my forehead/out of my eyes.

I don't wear gloves, good point though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 carav

One possibility for the splitting headaches after a couple of hours surfing is dehydration.

Advertisement