Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Clutch Shudder at walk speeds

• 14-01-2008 4:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭

All,

I'm driving a BMW 325Ci - have noticed something in recent months and not sure if it's me or the car. At walk speeds (1st Gear...sometimes second) there's a bit of clutch shuddering at take off. Now it's minimal...but it's there. Typically starting off in 1st at 1000-1400RPM. Anything above 1500 and it's not visible...but then this is perhaps over revving the engine from stop I feel...

I hope I'm being clear above!!

Basically...either I'm lifting the clutch? - but I don't think so. I've always had good clutch control...break point etc...or there's something going on which I'm not aware of.

Before I go and get it checked out only to be told I'm lifting too much off the clutch :o I thought I'd see if anyone knew of any particular issues surrounding the model etc or knew what I was on about?

Cheers...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

I have the same thing on a Mazda 626, shudders as it take off in 1st. Never in 2nd as far as I know. No idea what it is, but happens rarely on long drives only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭CarLover

maoleary wrote: »
    I have the same thing on a Mazda 626, shudders as it take off in 1st. Never in 2nd as far as I know. No idea what it is, but happens rarely on long drives only.

I have noticed it more when the engine is warmed up as well - again, was not sure if it was in my head or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭High&Low

OP - how long have you had your BMW 325Ci?

I have a 2003 one and when I first got the car I found it a little difficult to get used to the clutch, I used to stall regularly and I never had the same problem with any other car I have driven. My wife had the same problem. I find it ok now, I think it just takes a little time to get used to.

However if you have had the car for a while and this is a recent problem, ignore what I have posted.

High&Low wrote: »
    OP - how long have you had your BMW 325Ci?

I have a 2003 one and when I first got the car I found it a little difficult to get used to the clutch, I used to stall regularly and I never had the same problem with any other car I have driven. My wife had the same problem. I find it ok now, I think it just takes a little time to get used to.

However if you have had the car for a while and this is a recent problem, ignore what I have posted.

Thanks for the feedback anyway - yeah I've had the car about 18 months now. Bought it second hand - has ~66k on the clock. I don't stall it...which isn't to say I never have...I'm only human after all ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

I may be wrong but I seem to remember reading something about a clutch delay valve that BMW added into the hydraulic circuit. I thought it was intended as an aid for yanks who mightn't be too handy with a clutch but maybe it was to smooth out some inherent behaviour in the clutch. Maybe this is failing.

Edit: Some info here.

http://www.zeckhausen.com/CDV.htm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭GB15

Could it be worn engine mounts? Does it feel like the engine is jumping about just when the clutch is engaging?

Quick search on google brought up another 3 series owner with an engine mount problem.

http://www.driver.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=51544

milltown wrote: »
    I may be wrong but I seem to remember reading something about a clutch delay valve that BMW added into the hydraulic circuit. I thought it was intended as an aid for yanks who mightn't be too handy with a clutch but maybe it was to smooth out some inherent behaviour in the clutch. Maybe this is failing.

Edit: Some info here.

http://www.zeckhausen.com/CDV.htm

Thanks milltown - I particularly liked this line...

"During normal, sedate driving, the shift from first into second gear is often jerky, leading passengers to question your skill. As the driver, you can see your passengers' heads bobbing back and forth during every shift! Yes, in their minds, they are laughing at you. "

:)

I'm reading a lot of different opinions that I got from Google...so I'm possibly even more confused now. I might have to bite the bullet and take it to the Stealers for more info...

GB15 wrote: »
    Could it be worn engine mounts? Does it feel like the engine is jumping about just when the clutch is engaging?

Quick search on google brought up another 3 series owner with an engine mount problem.

I'm not sure GB15 - right now it just feels like a shudder...coming from the clutch...can't say more than that to be honest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

GB15 wrote: »

My guess as well.

A faulty intake system can cause kangarooing as well. split/damaged intake hose has a hole which widens as the load comes on the engine which is now moving slightly in it's mount, leading to the opening of the intake split, which leads to less power, engine moves back to normal position, then more power comes due intake hose being sealed and well the whole process cycles on. H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

I'll have to agree that the non-CDV suggestions are more likely, just when I read your post I remembered reading about the BMW clutch valve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

any trouble selecting gears?

could be a dual mass flywheel.....

All,

I've been too busy to look into the problem recently or even reply to the posts...

From reading this (http://www.zeckhausen.com/CDV.htm) I don't think that's the issue I'm having. Yes, 1st to 2nd is not very smooth...it's a clunky gear change...but my problem is setting off in 1st...with the shudder.

I'm woe to do it but I think my best bet might be to bring it to a stealer :(

EDIT: I've booked it into AC Car Sales for next week...see what they can find.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

let us know what you find out. I think i'm seeing the same thing on my e36.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Could be the pressure plate on the clutch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

My E36 gives the same problem from time to time. (Current clutch is 9 months old)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

CarLover wrote: »
    At walk speeds (1st Gear...sometimes second) there's a bit of clutch shuddering at take off. Now it's minimal...but it's there. Typically starting off in 1st at 1000-1400RPM. Anything above 1500 and it's not visible...but then this is perhaps over revving the engine from stop I feel...

I hope I'm being clear above!!

That's funny, I'm seeing the exact same symptoms on a 95 Micra at the moment. It gets worse when warmed-up too. Basically, there is no such thing as smooth lift off from 1st, no matter how gradually you are lifting the clutch...

Odd.

DC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 VillageIdiot

I get that too sometimes in my 07 Hilux. I'd say ignore it. I had a new clutch put in my last car at 100,000 miles, and the gear change was never the same. Trying to get into second gear was a bitch.

Advertisement